Author Topic: Chainsaws  (Read 4580 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
Chainsaws
« on: May 14, 2011, 01:34:00 AM »
I have an Echo CS-3000 chainsaw (that's the tiny one) that starts easily when it's cold but doesn't want to rev.  When it's warm, it won't start at all.  I'm using fresh premium gasoline, just bought and mixed today.  Does it sound like I need to open the HI screw on the carburetor a little, or close it a little?  (or just clean the exhaust screen and the fuel filter?)  The saw hasn't been used in a couple of years.  (if I was smart, I'd start my saws once a month whether I need to or not)  It doesn't help that all the gas here is blended with ethanol -- even the premium.

I haven't tried to start the big saw yet.  It has so much compression it tries to rip your arm off when you start it.  It probably hasn't been run in over 5 years, but at least it doesn't have a priming bulb on its carb.

Northern Tool & Equipment has Husqvarna 34cc chainsaws (16" light duty) on sale for $169, and I have a $20 off coupon on top of that.  I may buy one tomorrow, as long as it can use 50:1 fuel mix.  I don't use a chainsaw very often, but the two I always seem to be too big or too small for most jobs, and the big one (Echo 660) is old enough that it doesn't have a chain brake [tinfoil]
"It's good, though..."

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: Chainsaws
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 01:45:16 AM »
and the big one (Echo 660) is old enough that it doesn't have a chain brake

Most of my saw time is on saws without chain brakes...and bow saws at that. Not as big a deal when you wear the proper safety gear and use proper technique.

I'd give the little saw a good cleanout and then go from there. That ethanol gas gums up stuff so bad...yeah, I know your pain.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 02:04:07 AM »
I finally figured out to just mix up 500ml of fuel at a time unless I'm going out to cut wood all day.  That way I'm not storing 2-cycle fuel and trying to remember how old it is.  I just dump the stale gas in my truck; it has a 33 gallon tank so a pint of bad gas with a little oil in it doesn't hurt anything.  (The solution to pollution is dilution!)
"It's good, though..."

TMM

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 08:27:28 AM »
i would start with cleaning the filters, take off the carb, disassemble it as much as you dare, and give it a good spray/soak with carb cleaner. if i would make any adjustments, i would lean it out a little, because in hot weather, the air is less dense than cold winter air, so in summer it's getting a slightly richer mixture. but before you start messing with the settings, try cleaning it first, because if it hasn't been started in a while, you don't know what's gummed up and not working properly.

or my solution would be to get a Stihl.  =D i don't use mine frequently, but it ALWAYS starts, old gas, new gas, whatever. i never buy anything other than regular gas either, and i never buy 2-cycle mix. 10w-30 in gas and chain lube. every once in a while i'll put in a little marvel mystery oil or seafoam. my saw only stopped working once, i took off the carb, disassembled, cleaned, reassembled, and it was good as new.

tmm

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 10:48:01 AM »
TMM is correct.

The first thing to check with a chainsaw is the air filter.  That's been about 90% of the running problems that I've ever seen.  I had to clean the air filter every day or even more often when I was falling full time.  And a spark plug can go bad even if it looks okay.

I wouldn't monkey with the carb adjustment if it was running okay before.  They don't really ever go out of adjustment unless you change altitude.  Usually, something else is causing the problem: see "air filter."  Oh, did I mention the air filter...?   ;)

As far as I'm concerned, the only word you need to know about chainsaws is Stihl=)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 10:49:40 AM »
Are you wearing your hockey goalie mask while using it? If not, that could be the problem.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 10:51:23 AM »
And I've never had trouble with gas going bad as long as I'm using a good brand of mix (Stihl or Husky).  Stay away from store brand mix.

I mix up five gallons at a time and that lasts me about a year, in my current lifestyle.

Of course, I used to use five gallons a week!
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2011, 01:14:44 PM »
As far as I'm concerned, the only word you need to know about chainsaws is Stihl.

I used to be content with "major brand" box store saws. I had several used and abused saws and bought a new McCollough several years ago. It has been a decent light duty saw and I was happy with it till I needed to get a small part for it and found out the part isn't available. In a fit of rage I bought a Stihl. I'll ever own anything else.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2011, 07:44:22 PM »
The air cleaner is fine, the carb must be gummed-up.  But the saw is running better today.  I wonder if some Gumout in the fuel mix would help?

I bought that Husqy saw today; couldn't pass up a new toy like that for $150.  I'm not sure I'd want to try felling a tree bigger than about 8" with a saw so light weight, but I seldom do that anymore.  (And I still have the big monster saw for when I do.) 
"It's good, though..."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2011, 07:48:48 PM »
About 8" ain't hardly even a "tree"  ;)

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2011, 08:20:56 PM »
About 8" ain't hardly even a "tree"  ;)
Yeah, I know.  I'm pretty good at cutting up trees once they are down (or even hanging), but I suck at felling them.  I know *how* to do it, I just can't cut a straight notch.   =|
"It's good, though..."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2011, 10:51:33 AM »
Falling trees never hit the right pickup  :lol:

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2011, 04:01:12 PM »
i had one hit the right house/roof 10 days ago.  state farm stroked me a check and bought me a new roof to replace my 23 year old one
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2011, 04:19:18 PM »
I bought that Husqy saw today; couldn't pass up a new toy like that for $150.

Come to think about it, a new bar and chain for  probably costs more than that now  :O

Went out this morning and cut up a tree that had blown down in my neighbor's yard.

No special treatment since the saw was last started maybe in Oct or Nov, it popped on the 11th pull after sitting all winter.  This saw is 15 years old, but I only worked for a few months after I bought it.  Since then it's just been used for cutting firewood and doing fuel reduction around our place, plus some odd jobs cutting for neighbors.

I did have to put a new spark plug in it about a year ago.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2011, 04:57:16 PM »
What is this "new spark plug" of which you speak?
"It's good, though..."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2011, 05:04:06 PM »
What is this "new spark plug" of which you speak?

You should change the plug every 15 years whether it needs it or not.