Author Topic: Election Thread  (Read 12098 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Election Thread
« on: November 03, 2010, 12:52:02 AM »
What? No one has started one yet?

How did things go in your neck of the woods?

Sucked here.

Moonbeam Brown is back in as Governor. That was kinda expected.

What's not expected is that it looks like Boxer survived. It's currently 48% to 48%, but Fox News is calling it for Boxer. I've been checking live links of local news websites, mostly all very left leaning (it's all we got). It appears Proposition 19 (legalizing marijuana), did us in. Although it looks like it's going to lose by a wide margin, local reports are that it brought the college kids and other young adults who otherwise wouldn't have voted, out in droves. They are attributing Boxer's likely save of her seat to the "yes on 19" voters.

Local Democratic Congresswoman is back in but not by much. Also expected. It looks like there is good evidence of voter fraud in the local university housing community though. There's photographic evidence via the Republican candidate's poll watchers of people taking ballots outside the designated polling place and bringing them back in later. The local election watchdog agency (liberal) is denying it.

Her opponent was an ex-fighter jock who served in Vietnam. Some of the comments I've been reading about him on the local news sites are disgusting. Commenters all claim he doesn't deserve to win because he's "on the government dole". They're claiming that the military is like welfare, because he got his college degree via the GI Bill, has a military retirement, and gets health insurance via the military.

Nobody says anything bad about the incumbent, who got elected on the sympathy vote after her husband died in office.

Oh well. Looks like I'll need to see what guns I want before some new state laws likely go into effect. Also where to hide my money when State taxes start going up like crazy.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
Re: Election Thread
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 01:02:17 AM »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 01:05:48 AM »
All bow to the mad photo-shop-ness.

What? No one has started one yet?

Dude, seriously? There are like twain of them.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 01:08:25 AM »
I'm still in the learning phase here in AL, but it looks like Republicans gained some ground. I went from having a Dem congressman to a Republican, which makes me happy. Another Republican governor, but I wasn't surprised, as the Democrat was proposing legalizing gambling to fund the state government. This is Bible country, and gambling isn't looked upon favorably.

I just read that the Republicans picked up both the senate and assembly, as well as the governor's office, in Wisconsin. It's payback time for the NRA. Wisconsin had better get one of the best shall-issue CCW bills ever written after all of the work gun owners did for the Republicans there.

Obama's old senate seat went to a Republican! My guess is that Obama's ego won't allow him to see the true significance of that.

It's a good evening for Republicans. Not as good as some had predicted, but I think some journalists and commentators were a bit too optimistic.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 01:09:20 AM »
All bow to the mad photo-shop-ness.

Dude, seriously? There are like twain of them.

I meant an aggregate one discussing results as they occur.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 01:13:06 AM »
It's a good evening for Republicans. Not as good as some had predicted, but I think some journalists and commentators were a bit too optimistic.

Indeed. I wish some of them wouldn't have rattled on about the thrashing the dems would take. Better to talk small and gain big than vice versa.

I'm just ticked about the CA Senate seat. Governor is an internal thing CA brings on itself. I was really hoping we could buck up just once and help out the country by dumping at least one of our worthless Senators, and of the two, Boxer is the worst.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 01:16:53 AM »
Obama's old senate seat went to a Republican! My guess is that Obama's ego won't allow him to see the true significance of that.
It's simply an anti-incumbent atmosphere. It's got nothing to do with dissatisfaction with Obama or the Dem-majority Congress, which is why so many Republicans lost their seats this time around.  :P

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2010, 01:18:10 AM »

Yeah, baby. In other news from Illinois, voters approved a measure to allow recalls of governors. What a shock!  :lol:  Speaking of Illinois governors, the race is tied right now.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2010, 01:34:47 AM »
I'm still in the learning phase here in AL, but it looks like Republicans gained some ground. I went from having a Dem congressman to a Republican, which makes me happy. Another Republican governor, but I wasn't surprised, as the Democrat was proposing legalizing gambling to fund the state government. This is Bible country, and gambling isn't looked upon favorably.

I just read that the Republicans picked up both the senate and assembly, as well as the governor's office, in Wisconsin. It's payback time for the NRA. Wisconsin had better get one of the best shall-issue CCW bills ever written after all of the work gun owners did for the Republicans there.

Yes, Wisconsin did VERY WELL tonight.

I hate to say it, but I'd like to see voter photo-ID passed before shall-issue CCW. Watching the woman in line in front of me throw out random names and spellings insisting she was on the list yesterday morning was not, shall we say, confidence inspiring.
I promise not to duck.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2010, 01:36:24 AM »
It's simply an anti-incumbent atmosphere. It's got nothing to do with dissatisfaction with Obama or the Dem-majority Congress, which is why so many Republicans lost their seats this time around.

Nope. It's racism. Eugene Robinson says so here.

He even says that there's not a chance that it's coincidence that all of this ire is directed at the first black president. It's not about multi-trillion-dollar deficits, or Obama cramming health care down our throats, or trying to turn the US into France. It's just plain old bubba-style (without the KKK bedsheets) racism from a hundred million or so hayseeds who went to vote.

AJ, I would think voter ID will pass easily. The more difficult task will be to get "moderate" Republicans to stop trying to water down the CCW bill.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2010, 02:19:32 AM »
No surprises in the Sooner state.
We did pass a "Screw Obamacare" law though. One more state to add to the list when it goes to court.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2010, 02:24:36 AM »
It's simply an anti-incumbent atmosphere. It's got nothing to do with dissatisfaction with Obama or the Dem-majority Congress, which is why so many Republicans lost their seats this time around.

Disagree.  Incumbent Republicans lost their seats because they were paler versions, ideologically speaking of course, of Obama.  This Election was a repudiation of Obamaism.  Unfortunately, the repudiation (as in my home state, CA) wasn't total or final, just a first step.  The real fun and games begin now.  I wish I believed that the national divisions would be or could be resolved politically; my view is that the demographic and cultural divide is now too deep for facile reconciliation and that the next couple of years will bear that out.  I'm wagering the rifts become wider and more acrimonious.  Obama's push for an amnesty, among other things, won't help.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2010, 03:05:41 AM »
I just got home and checked the news sites over here. Picture of Obama at the top. To say that he's looking unhappy would be an understatement :laugh: =D.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2010, 05:19:12 AM »
In AL, not a single Dem won a state-wide race.  That's huge.  We tend to be conservative but Dem here in local elections.  The Reps have both houses of the Legislature since Reconstruction.

On the other hand...  Harry Reid won. DAMNNIT!!!!!!

I guess I am suffering from over-the-top expectations.  At worst, the Senate seems to be 53-47 (counting on the winner in AK to caucus w/ the Reps), and at best 51-49.  My guess is that Murray survives.

I don't expect the Brady Bunch to be too happy about now.  At least we got that going for us...
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2010, 05:37:00 AM »
Just browsing the results, but SC looks to have done fairly well. Haley was behind when I turned in last night but only five counties had fully reported.

Though I am still trying to figure out HOW IN THE HELL GREENE GOT 27% in the senate race.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2010, 06:09:11 AM »
Pretty much all Republican victories in Texas....future President Rick Perry won....and Chet "Pelosi's Favorite" Edwards is out....

....but Eddie Bernice Johnson is still in...even after co-opting a scholarship fund to give to her friends & family only....maybe the LEO's investigating it will do what the voters in that district wouldn't....talk about a district that needs gerrymandering....  ;/
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2010, 06:29:27 AM »

eyebrows

• friend
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2010, 07:02:34 AM »
Indiana had some good results. Baron Hill lost his job but dammit Andre carson held on to his grandmothers seat that he inherited.
Looks like the extremly short sighted 1-2-3 property tax caps are on their way to the state constitution.
Oh what I'd do for an across the board sales tax and the elimination of property tax. Now the dang stuff is gonna be all up in the state constitution.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2010, 07:58:13 AM »
@ Fistful

Did you make it out to vote?

How was the line?

DD
<snicker>
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2010, 08:01:34 AM »
Dude, it was so cool. I was first! I'm so totally pumped!

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2010, 08:08:28 AM »
Overall election assessment: Yahoo!

Here in OH, we will have a Republican governor!

Oh, and Nancy Pelosi, the Wicked Witch of the West is OUT!!!!

Thanl you, God!
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2010, 08:24:18 AM »
I was first! I'm so totally pumped!

First??  Really??  No wonder you're pumped.  I'd be broadcasting that all over APS!

Conflagellations!

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2010, 08:39:31 AM »
How did things go in your neck of the woods?

Our mayor here was looking to unseat our US Rep.  Down in flames.  (Good!)  

We have a new senator, with an R.(INO) after his name, who's only slightly less heinous than the D. would have been.

We don't know who our governor will be.  A few thousand votes apart.  I wouldn't be surprised to see a recount.

This would be Ill-i-noise.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 03:29:44 PM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2010, 09:47:28 AM »
Illinois Guv race looking like the Chicago Dem is gonna edge out our good pro gun downstate repub candidate. On the bright side. Our Liberal Dem Congressman incumbant was trounced by a pro gun pro business, conservative Repub in the 17th district. yea!
F'n Chicago has screwed the whole state up. oh, but we sent some of them to Washington DC 2 years ago... so how d'you like them so far?
What we have here is failure to communicate.