Author Topic: Economics is hard. This man explains it very well  (Read 2333 times)

Antibubba

• friend
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Economics is hard. This man explains it very well
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 11:10:30 PM »
Economics isn't necessarily hard. It's just often counter-intuitive.

And his explanation of how things work is good (from my quick overview.)

His rhetoric is a little over-the-top, though.

Creating 1.5 trillion extra in the money supply is worrisome.

However, currently, M2 money supply in the US (as of Aug. 2010): 8.7 trillion. http://www.federalreserve.gov/releases/h6/current/

We are at risk of inflation. We are not yet at risk of hyper-inflation.

That's a concern. It's not a "ICEBERG, DEAD AHEAD" type of concern, though. It's a "Icebergs in the vicinity" type of warning.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 11:15:18 PM by makattak »
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 12:08:46 AM »
Interesting piece but I have one serious question...

Who the heck is Dakota Fanning?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 12:29:35 AM »
She's a child actress that was in a rape scene when she was eleven.  There was controversy about it at the time.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 12:38:51 AM by Fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 01:49:31 PM »

What the heck is google? :)
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2010, 05:17:54 PM »
This guy misses the forest for the tress.  He misses a lot of the trees, too.

He's right on about why we want to keep the central bank as far away from the government as possible.  

He's way off the mark saying that nobody realizes the Fed is trying to expand the money (credit) supply.  This makes me wonder what planet he's living on.  Everyone in the markets is talking about it, it's been the prime topic of conversation in the investment world and in the investment media for years.  

This guy says the reason small business can't get loans is because banks are allocating all of their capital to government bonds.  No, it isn't a top-down shortage of available money to loan.  It's that nobody has anything productive to do with money, so we're all just waiting.

And has he taken a look at interest rates, lately?  Bank are practically giving their money away when they find a suitable borrower who wants a loan.  It's just that those of us in a financial position to take on new debt are smart enough not to do it.

The reason treasuries keep finding strong bids isn't because the banks are buying them all up, it's because everyone is buying them up.  All across the economic spectrum, from big corporations and institutional investors down to small businesses and consumers and even foreigners, everyone is saving.  The way the markets work, at a time like this all that savings will eventually wind up in safe, liquid assets like treasuries.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 05:25:54 PM by Headless Thompson Gunner »

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2010, 05:20:44 PM »

Remember the War of the Worlds remake starring Tom Cruise from a few years back? 

Remember the irritating little blond girl who screamed the entire movie?  That was her. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2010, 08:59:49 AM »
What the heck is google? :)

I didn't figure it was worth the effort, being that it turns out she is an actress I was right. =D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2010, 02:26:21 PM »
I didn't figure it was worth the effort, being that it turns out she is an actress I was right.

Hey now, you might want to pay attention.  In a few years she'll probably be on TV telling us who we should vote for, like a few other actor/actresses.  Where would we be without Sean Penn and Janine Garafalo, for example?  =D

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2010, 02:30:04 AM »
Where would we be without Sean Penn and Janine Garafalo, for example?

There you go again. Who is she?

Samuel Adams

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2010, 02:45:47 AM »
This guy misses the forest for the tress.  He misses a lot of the trees, too.

He's right on about why we want to keep the central bank as far away from the government as possible.  

He's way off the mark saying that nobody realizes the Fed is trying to expand the money (credit) supply.  This makes me wonder what planet he's living on.  Everyone in the markets is talking about it, it's been the prime topic of conversation in the investment world and in the investment media for years.  

This guy says the reason small business can't get loans is because banks are allocating all of their capital to government bonds.  No, it isn't a top-down shortage of available money to loan.  It's that nobody has anything productive to do with money, so we're all just waiting.

And has he taken a look at interest rates, lately?  Bank are practically giving their money away when they find a suitable borrower who wants a loan.  It's just that those of us in a financial position to take on new debt are smart enough not to do it.

The reason treasuries keep finding strong bids isn't because the banks are buying them all up, it's because everyone is buying them up.  All across the economic spectrum, from big corporations and institutional investors down to small businesses and consumers and even foreigners, everyone is saving.  The way the markets work, at a time like this all that savings will eventually wind up in safe, liquid assets like treasuries.

As someone who's been actively seeking out banks for the last year or so to re-finance anywhere from $2-4 million, banks aren't lending money.  They get a guaranteed min of 3% Treasuries.  Commercial prime is ~5.25%  The 225 basis point spread is not enough for banks these days, not with tons of vacant strip malls and warehouses all over.   

Most Businesses are sitting pat, waiting for the effects of the Obamacare and if the Bush tax cuts will be extended  Oh, and if you have high net worth, best die sometime between now and 31 Dec. ;)

Plus there's all the new Financial Reform that no one can make heads or tails of, but the SEC,IRS et al will get to make the rules.   

And for an added bonus we here in Illinois are ~$15 billion in the Red, so that will make things extra special deluxe interesting, even if Bill Brady (R-Downstate) gets elected Governor, as we don't know what the balance of power will be in the Legislature.

We're Screwed-did-id.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2010, 10:18:25 PM »

Hey now, you might want to pay attention.  In a few years she'll probably be on TV telling us who we should vote for, like a few other actor/actresses.  Where would we be without Sean Penn and Janine Garafalo, for example?  =D
having head her reasons for wanting to do the remake of that terrible movie, she just might surprise you. [popcorn]