Main Forums > The Roundtable

Random query: when did "automatic transmission" become a common term?

(1/6) > >>

Perd Hapley:
Not entirely random. I was watching 1985's The Philadelphia Experiment, in which two American sailors time-travel from 1941 to 1984. When one of them attempts to drive a late-model car, and asks where the clutch is, the owner of the car tells him it's an automatic. He asks, "what's an automatic?"

And for some reason, I want to fact-check a B movie from 40 years ago. I know auto transmissions were already in use in the 40s, but I don't know if they were called that at the time, rather than "Hydra-matic," or "Dynaflow," or what-have-you.

Anybody know? Should we ask Joe Biden?

lee n. field:

--- Quote from: Perd Hapley on April 13, 2024, 07:35:56 PM ---

--- End quote ---

"I invenned automagic transmushions, Jack!"

zxcvbob:

--- Quote from: Perd Hapley on April 13, 2024, 07:35:56 PM ---Not entirely random. I was watching 1985's The Philadelphia Experiment, in which two American sailors time-travel from 1941 to 1984. When one of them attempts to drive a late-model car, and asks where the clutch is, the owner of the car tells him it's an automatic. He asks, "what's an automatic?"

And for some reason, I want to fact-check a B movie from 40 years ago. I know auto transmissions were already in use in the 40s, but I don't know if they were called that at the time, rather than "Hydra-matic," or "Dynaflow," or what-have-you.

--- End quote ---

I think Powerglide was the other one. :)  I think they were in use in the 40s but unusual.  Maybe mid-50s they were common enough to have a name?  The first vehicle I owned with an automatic was in the 80s, and at the time I thought an automatic in a truck (especially a 3/4 ton or bigger) was ridiculous until I owned one.  I haven't had a standard since, but I can still drive one.

Daughter's first new car was a Pontiac G5 and she wanted a stick shift.  My dad and I put about 80% down and I had her finance the rest.  (to get her credit history started)  She was about in tears the first time I took her to a big vacant parking lot to figure out how to use the clutch. 😂 (not tears of joy at the time)  Eventually it "clicked" and she could drive it just fine.  She has an automatic now, but she knows how to use a clutch like a boomer.

dogmush:
Wiki says that the 1923 patent for the what would be the auto was titled "Automatic Gear Shift and Speed Control".  1939 was the start of GM hydraulic Automatics.  The "Hydromatic" transmission was available in 1940 MY cars.

By 1957 80% of cars in the US were sold with automatics.

Folks from 1941, that knew how to drive, probably would have been familiar with the concept of cars you didn't have to shift, even if they hadn't driven one.

MechAg94:

--- Quote from: dogmush on April 13, 2024, 08:21:40 PM ---Wiki says that the 1923 patent for the what would be the auto was titled "Automatic Gear Shift and Speed Control".  1939 was the start of GM hydraulic Automatics.  The "Hydromatic" transmission was available in 1940 MY cars.

By 1957 80% of cars in the US were sold with automatics.

Folks from 1941, that knew how to drive, probably would have been familiar with the concept of cars you didn't have to shift, even if they hadn't driven one.

--- End quote ---
It is possible the term "automatic" may not have been in common use by 1941.  Either way, sounds like the timing is close enough I would give the movie a pass on it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version