Author Topic: Study Chinese or Spanish?  (Read 3572 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Study Chinese or Spanish?
« on: January 01, 2011, 11:30:55 AM »
http://isteve.blogspot.com/2010/12/nicholas-kristof-opines-in-nyt.html

Summary
The usual neurotic hyper-competitive parenting types have moved from violin lessons to Chinese language lessons for their progeny.

A discussion as to the utility of Chinese for an American child.  Also, a reflection on one of the past hot languages for kids to learn, Spanish.

My Take
In retrospect, I think the language that would have been of the most use to my own self would have been Latin.  It gives the usual secondary benefits of second-language learning (emphasis on grammar) but also provides mush insight into the latin-derived parts of English.

Second to Latin would be German, for reasons similar to Latin (secondary benefits and German roots of English).

I write that after six years of Spanish language instruction at the high school level, which turned out pretty useless, except for the short time I spent living in Miami, which has a rather thick slice of Spanish-speakers of middle & upper class descent.  Unless I decide to run a crew of illegal alien laborers, my Spanish will remain near useless.  Like the author of the article, I found it most useful when traveling (for pleasure) south of the border.

Having done business with many foreign customers, English is the business language of choice, even when there are no native English-speakers in the room. 

Of course, some professions require the ability to speak, write, & understand different languages.  Also, if one desires to live in a foreign-language speaking country such an effort is not wasted.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MicroBalrog

• friend
Re: Study Chinese or Spanish?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 12:38:51 PM »
People still care what Nicholas Kristof has to say?

I will cast another vote for Latin.

In terms of foreign languages, I think it is a bad idea to teach a child a language based on your understanding of what country is more important in terms of trade and world power status. If China's economy implodes - as many people predict it might - or their government collapses, and China's status is downgraded five years from now, your investment goes down in flames.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 12:40:48 PM »
Just study whatever language they used in Bladerunner, that way you'll have your bases covered.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 12:45:08 PM »
Quote from: MicroBalrog
If China's economy implodes - as many people predict it might - or their government collapses, and China's status is downgraded five years from now, your investment goes down in flames.

No, not at all.  You'll have a strong advantage in bargaining with the new day laborors at Home Depot.

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 12:47:11 PM »
Just study whatever language they used in Bladerunner, that way you'll have your bases covered.  :laugh:

All I need to know is enough to communicate with Rachael.

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2011, 12:47:43 PM »
Depending on the little ones' career choices, I'd vote Farsi or Arabic....we'll still be messing with that part of the world for a long time....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2011, 01:04:25 PM »
In retrospect, I think the language that would have been of the most use to my own self would have been Latin.  It gives the usual secondary benefits of second-language learning (emphasis on grammar) but also provides mush insight into the latin-derived parts of English.

Ditto.  Or Greek.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2011, 01:29:23 PM »
Having travelled the world extensively as a child/teen, I found that it was best to learn at least three phrases in the language of any country I found myeslf:

1 - "Two beers, please."  (Shows manners, and shows you have ordered a beer for yourself as well as the person who is about to become your new friend.)

2 - "I want to contact the American Counsulate."  (Obvious, on so many levels.)

3 - "How much is that in American money?"  (E.g.: early 1950's Italy - geegaw I wanted to purchase was something like 500,000 lira, or about $0.06 American.)

It is better to learn the language of those you hope to be supervising, although also knowing some of the language of your new overlords cannot hurt, especially if you do not let on you understand what they are saying.  I'd go with conversational Latin American Spanish over Chinese, Arabic, Farsi or Urdu.  Knowing one brand of Chinese is not knowing all brands of Chinese.  The Caliphate will not care to be spoken to as if you were one of them.  Latin & German are good for academic study of languages, but conversational ability beats readin' & writin' hands down.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2011, 04:51:59 PM »
"Where is the restroom" doesn't hurt either.  =D

My answer would be it depends on if you expect the Mexicans or the Chinese to take us over first.  ;)

+1 for Latin though. I hated it then but I appreciate the value now and wish maybe I worked a little harder at it.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2011, 05:02:20 PM »
chinese   1/3 of the world does
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2011, 05:09:32 PM »
Hasn't anybody learned anything from Firefly? Chinese is the future.  =D
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2011, 07:27:51 PM »
Hasn't anybody learned anything from Firefly? Chinese is the future.  =D

This.

Over 1 billion Chinese speakers.  Mandarin would be my choice.  (worst case, you'll always be able to order fluently in just about any Chinese Restaurant)

I did not take Latin in High Screwl (it was offered), I took German, which came in handy when I was stationed there, and Etymology which has proven to be invaluable, even though I was a PITA to my teacher in that class. 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2011, 07:39:32 PM »
If they're in the U.S.?   How about they learn ENGLISH, and then once they've actually managed to quit speaking in text/lolcat/l33t, then we can worry about what other language would be good? 

:)
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2011, 07:41:03 PM »
Having travelled the world extensively as a child/teen, I found that it was best to learn at least three phrases in the language of any country I found myeslf:

1 - "Two beers, please."  (Shows manners, and shows you have ordered a beer for yourself as well as the person who is about to become your new friend.)

2 - "I want to contact the American Counsulate."  (Obvious, on so many levels.)

3 - "How much is that in American money?"  (E.g.: early 1950's Italy - geegaw I wanted to purchase was something like 500,000 lira, or about $0.06 American.)

You reminded me of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyAAe8QwoRQ&feature=related#t=2m12s   =D =D =D
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

P5 Guy

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2011, 08:05:34 PM »
Mandarin or another Chinese dialect. Forget Spanish whatever dialect.

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2011, 10:07:10 PM »
I learned English. It worked out. I took a couple of years of Spanish, I can't really hold a conversation. In my 20 years in US Spanish has been rather marginally useful.

My kids take Chinese. This was really just a function of what was offered in the school we chose. The unexpected side effect of this turned out to be that my wife got really into it after trying to check their homework. Now she takes Chinese classes on her own. We will see how useful that turns out to be.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2011, 11:05:07 PM »
I live in Northern Virginia.  We have a lot of Spanish speaking people here.  2/3 of my daughter's school is Hispanic.  At 7, she already knows a smattering of Spanish words and phrases.  My 2yo knows a few Spanish words from watching Dora The Border Explorer.

I work for a multinational corporation with coworkers and customers world-wide.  Who is most likely to send me an email in their native tongue?  Spanish speaking employees/customers.  Dutch, French, German, Chinese, Japanese, etc all communicate with me via English and pretty decent English at that.  The Spanish speaking ones use a dialect of English so bad, I have to run it through Google Translate. ;)

Spanish would be the most useful to me by far.

Chris

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2011, 11:10:44 PM »
A complete and total mastery of English is far more valuable to any child. I am able to compete with many people who are far smarter than I am because I can speak and write well.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2011, 11:14:06 PM »
Spanish would be the most useful by far. Although I'm a Texican so maybe I'm biased. I also think that a working grasp of Spanish will probably take about 1/5th as long as a similar level of Chinese.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2011, 11:54:10 PM »
Spanish is more useful than Chinese, unless you plan on spending quality time in that country or making out with hawt illegal Chinese immigrants. The Chinese generally speak English, while many Spanish-speakers don't. Spanish would also give you an extra 'in' if you wanted a .gov job near the southern border. I've seen several PDs that required applicants know Spanish.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2011, 11:59:24 PM »
A complete and total mastery of English is far more valuable to any child. I am able to compete with many people who are far smarter than I am because I can speak and write well.

Psst...clue fairy here...we're talking about languages in addition to English.

Chris

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2011, 12:36:40 AM »
Well mtnbkr, we have a new name for your avatar: "The Clue Fairy".

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2011, 07:58:16 AM »
I'd say base your decision on what might be more useful in your area. Spanish might be more useful than Chinese in the SW US for example.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2011, 09:33:54 AM »
a round eye who can really speak chinese will never lack for work  one who can write it even more so, though it shocks the chinese when they hear chinese well spoken by non chinese. my dad speaks chinese and sometimes folks do a double take at this mick speaking their language. both my critters are learning from ni- ni   and oldest one has a chinese middle name
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I