Author Topic: Duck and Cover Redux  (Read 3277 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Duck and Cover Redux
« on: January 05, 2011, 01:56:28 PM »
http://pajamasmedia.com/instapundit/112576/

Instapundit writes about how the BHO administration is responding, civil defense-wise, to potential nukes set off by terrorists in roughly the same way the folks did in the 1950s.  And it is a good thing, too.

Lots of links to follow, foremost being the article in question.

A response by an emailer:
    "That video makes me proud to be an American. Seriously. I had never actually watched it before. It was made by people who were not cynics or pussies. They had just finished destroying Japan and Germany by aerial bombing. They knew it could happen to us. They acted like grownups about it. Getting under cover to avoid burns, flying glass and debris, was good advice then and it is good advice now. Thanks for posting."

Yeah, you watch those 1950 civil-defense films and you realize the pipe-smoking dad stockpiling supplies in the basement is probably a World War II vet who just a few years before had most likely either dropped bombs or had them dropped on him (or both). Kind of puts a different color on it.

If y'all don't mind, I'll be off picking up some Gorilla Tape and 6-mil bisqueen.  Especially since my town has already been the target of a muslim bomb plot.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

sanglant

• friend
Re: Duck and Cover Redux
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 02:00:49 PM »
someone in your town was burning korans? we all know that's the only reason a good Muslim would try to attack someone/place don't we? =|

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 02:34:37 PM »
someone in your town was burning korans? we all know that's the only reason a good Muslim would try to attack someone/place don't we?

Or making cartoons about Muslims, let's not forget about that heinous crime!

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 03:37:25 PM »
Yeah, folks make fun of "Duck and Cover" as quaint, stupid, or simply a 1950's panacea in the face of nuclear war.

OTOH, it's pretty dumb to be stumbling around in the aftermath blind from flash, with glass stuck in your face, when you were a few miles away, and hitting the dirt and covering your face would have left you relatively uninjured.
I promise not to duck.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 04:20:29 AM »
Does that mean I can dust off my WWII vintage Civil Defense warden steel helmet?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 08:25:34 AM »
Just makes ya wonder what they have intel on..... [tinfoil]
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 08:59:11 AM »
Yeah, folks make fun of "Duck and Cover" as quaint, stupid, or simply a 1950's panacea in the face of nuclear war.

People who have no fraggin' idea what you're talking about, mostly.

Basic, expedient shelter can increase your chances of survival exponentially - unless you get sheer bad luck and the bomb drops so near your house you get fried by the total destruction radius.

Basic knowledge of what the hell to do and the presence of mind to do it saves far more lives in disasters than yards of armored concrete and tons of stockpiled oatmeal.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 10:35:18 AM »
Does anyone have a handy link to the South Park Duck and Cover method for use in the event a volcano is erupting?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 10:46:46 AM »
I still remember the duck and cover drills. (How could I forget?)  The comments on the realistic orientation of us old folks may explain why so many of us olde pharts are pretty conservative, and don't usually go along with a lot of the vapid nonsense that goes on today-adays.  Yes, I was alive throughout WWII and of course, the postwar world.

Those CDV-715 detectors have some nifty circuitry in them, if you're interested in that sort of thing.

http://www.vaughns-1-pagers.com/science/victoreen/cdv-715-a1-schematic.jpg

Germanium transistor oscillator (Q1) to convert the 1.5 volt D-cell battery voltage for the plate and ion chamber voltages through T1, "peanut tube" electrometer (a 6617? - I forget), really high-precision glass-encapsulated high-value resistors, and a 50 microamp full scale D'Arsonval meter.

What's not to like?  If you're into that sort of stuff.

And the die-cast case with the handle is great, but I still haven't figured out what to use it for.  Maybe a "fox hunt" direction finder...?

(No, I'm not the seller on that ad posted by cassandra and sara's daddy.  I got one about ten years ago and immediately dissected it.)

Terry, 230RN

« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 11:24:29 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2011, 10:59:50 AM »
Just makes ya wonder what they have intel on..... [tinfoil]

Yes.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton