Author Topic: Newt Grasping at Straws  (Read 10069 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Newt Grasping at Straws
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2012, 04:54:17 PM »
Based on clips I heard today, Romney is attacking Newt basically saying the same thing Newt said.  Romney is the only one who can defeat Obama, etc, etc. 

One consistent thing about Paul supporters is that everyone else is a statist authoritarian.  While I have seen people sell Paul based on who he is, too often his supporters sell him based on how evil everyone else is.  That is only convincing to those that like him already.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2012, 05:39:03 PM »
Not sure how serious you are. You mean by declaring himself to be the victim of discriminatory marriage laws that favor monogamous heteros?

It is somewhat interesting that, compared to serial monogamists like McCain, Gingrich, and so many others, it's the Mormon guy that's just sticking with the one wife for so long.  =)

I wasn't.

None of the current candidates have it all, and in my view this is because the culture itself is terminally splintered and these candidates reflect partial solutions both politically and individually.  I think we can salvage parts and enhance them, not the whole.  It does not please me to say this.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2012, 05:51:56 PM »
One consistent thing about Paul supporters is that everyone else is a statist authoritarian.

Well, unfortunately that is true  =(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2012, 09:39:50 PM »
To think Newt could have solved his personal issues just by being a polygamist...

Well....I guess Mitt wouldn't have a problem with that....  :lol:
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2012, 12:24:36 PM »
I find it interesting and very political the attacks that Romney is leveling on Newt.  The ethics questions and all the crap that happened years ago essentially boiled down to a small breach which he was fined $300,000 for.  He could have paid the fine from his campaign war chest, but he paid it personally.  That is the sign of a strong character.  Did the major media report this....  NO.  Did they run something like 245 stories trashing Newt over this?  YES.  But they completely dropped the "story" when it came out that it was all about nothing.

There is concern apparently among the mony people in the Republican Party about Newt being not the best choice for their nominee.

The one thing you can give Newt is that he is a LEADER which Obama is not.  Romney is not the leader Gingrich.  Romney seems like a nice guy, but I don't think he has it in him to light a fire among voters like Gingrich.  Yeah. Gingrich has done some things that I simply don't agree with, but he has done a lot of what I do agree with.  We need a strong no bs leader as president.

I think ultimately we are likely to be stuck with Obama Care.  But changes are going to be made.  It is important that the Republicans gain the majority in both Houses of Congress.  The Repulicans seldom rammed things down the throats of the citizens just because they could.  They tend to want more support from both parties no matter what the proposed bill is.

If either Newt or Romney buy onto the Fair Tax and Cain's 9-9-9 plan, it will take them to the White House.  We need a dramatic change in the way the US Federal government taxes its citizens.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2012, 12:26:50 PM »
Republicans don't ram legislation down our throats???

I lol'd.???
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2012, 12:31:22 PM »
.....The Repulicans seldom rammed things down the throats of the citizens just because they could. 

Republicans don't ram legislation down our throats???

I lol'd.???

???
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2012, 12:35:50 PM »
I guess you are thinking... Homeland Securty issues after 911?  That was a bill that had broad support.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2012, 12:39:17 PM »
Any Republican who wins the Presidency this year will need all the leadership qualities he can muster to effect any productive change with the nation in the state it's in.  I think we're all aware of Newt's liabilities, but Newt at least has the amplitude to present the possibility of doing something.  If you want something dramatic you're going to need a Newt.  Romney is liable to be no more than an able caretaker of the (failed) liberal Republican agenda.
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2012, 12:45:42 PM »
Romney will chip around the edges, but will not affect dramatic change.  You can put down Obama for a lot of things, but he has affected dramatic change.  It is change I don't believe in, but change it was.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2012, 02:11:44 PM »
???
\

Even with "seldom" thrown in there, it's a ridiculous statement
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2012, 02:29:38 PM »
 :police:  Neverless it is a different statement than what you attributed to him by a longshot.

In anycase, majority rules.  If you're in the minority you can always whine the other side "stuffed the law down our throats."  It doesn't really help the matter.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2012, 12:37:10 PM »
When the Republican party had majorities and could effectively control what legislation moved forward or was passed, they gave the Democrats much more power than they needed to.  Pelosi is a product of that majority period when Clinton was president and we know how she ran the House.  If the Democrats succeed in gaining a majority in the House, we'll have Pelosi back as Speaker.  Guess she misses her government provided private jet.

I guess "ridiculous" is in the eye of the beholder and your core beliefs about the constitution, fiscal and social issues, and taxation.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 12:40:48 PM by slingshot »

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2012, 12:39:32 PM »
Can we transplant Newt into Mitt's body?

Run them both through the matter transmitter.

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2012, 02:38:45 PM »
As Newt slowly runs down the political garbage disposal, here is his USA Armageddon last-ditch campaign message:

Anybody remember a week ago, when somebody made the above comment about Newt's chances in the primary?  :laugh:   :P

Still waiting to hear what was so straw-grasping about Newt's apparently very successful pitch, of course. Get back to me on that when you get a chance.  :-*
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2012, 08:54:56 PM »
I remember when Newt was speaker of the house. I was very politically aware already. This editorial summarizes my recollections pretty accurately.

http://spectator.org/archives/2012/01/25/gingrich-frames-the-debate

Look at his record before you believe all the spin. Votesmart.com has all the records.

Do I think Newt is better than Ron Paul philosophically? No

Would I vote for Newt if he got the R nomination? Yes, grudgingly though.

I hardly have to even weigh it out, Romney to me is worse than McCain. I'd take GW again over Romney.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 09:28:33 PM by Ron »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2012, 10:43:08 PM »
Would I vote for Newt if he got the R nomination? Yes, grudgingly though.

I hardly have to even weigh it out, Romney to me is worse than McCain. I'd take GW again over Romney.

Same here.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2012, 10:59:36 PM »
Romney has it all over Newt in the areas if:
1. Illegal immigration.  Newt is going all Perry 2.0 on Romney.
2. (Lack of) sleaze.
3. (Lack of) grandiosity.

Either one would be a bitter pill, but I think Romney would be less dangerous to liberty than Newt.

I could be persuaded otherwise, but that is my thinking ATM.

Again, I wonder, "How has it come to this?"
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2012, 11:38:05 PM »
It's come to this because the political culture is designed to ensure that "the right people" keep their power, perks, and paramours. 

If we want an honest system we need to choose our political representation by lottery after applying a few very basic filters for eligibility.  Add to that strict term limits on everyone inside government, including the bureaucrats.  It can't be worse than what we have.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2012, 04:39:15 PM »
I'm a registered Republican.  But I'm embarrassed that Ron Paul has to be associated with the other three.  I'm happy that the popularity of his ideas seems to be having some impact on them, and even Obama (or at least on their talking points).  Government policies that are invasive, illogical, and cost too much (particularly more foreign entanglements during an economic crisis) are unpopular with nearly everyone.   
Romney is probably the best candidate of the three.  But I think he is perceived by a lot of people to be a poster boy for the economic mess we're in. 
Newt has been bashed by everyone he has ever worked with...and an ex wife or two.  Women in general (and many men) don't like or trust him.
Santorum is...Santorum....assuming that is Italian for insanely conservative, illogical, and inflexible.
If elections are won by carrying the white, over 40, conservative, happily employed, male vote...then Obama will lose.