Author Topic: Zoning the ocean  (Read 3403 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Zoning the ocean
« on: April 17, 2012, 01:45:55 PM »
http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=50880
This article has a lot of grand statements so I am not sure where facts end and opinions begin.  Either way, it appears to be a another one of those attempts to add another dozen layers of bureacracy that could screw up quite a few things. 

“The order says they shall develop a scheme for oversight of oceans and all the sources thereof,” Flores said. “So you could have a snowflake land on Pikes Peak and ultimately it’s going to wind up in the water, so as a result they could regulate on every square inch of U.S. soil.”

However, critics point to an Interior Department memo that says the plan “has emerged as a new paradigm and planning strategy for coordinating all marine and coastal activities and facility constructions within the context of a national zoning plan.”

Additionally, former Coast Guard Commandant Adm. Thad Allen, a member of the Ocean Policy Task Force, told OnEarth Magazine in May, 2010, the plan is “basically taking the notion of urban planning and putting it into the water column, as well as the estuary systems that connect it to everything that impacts ocean ecosystems.”

Rep. Don Young (R–Alaska) explained the new bureaucracy to his constituents during an April 3 Alaska field hearing as “a complicated bureaucratic scheme which includes a 27-member national ocean council; an 18-member governance coordinating committee; 10 national policies; nine regional planning bodies—each involving as many as 27 federal agencies as well as states and tribes; nine national priority objectives; nine strategic action plans; seven national goals for coastal marine spatial planning; and 12 guiding principles for coastal marine spatial planning.”

“Are you confused yet?” Young asked the crowd.

“The administration claims that this whole National Ocean Policy is nothing more than an attempt to coordinate federal agencies and make better permitting decisions,” Young said. “Forgive me if I am a little suspicious when the federal government—through an executive order—decides to create a new bureaucracy that will ‘help’ us plan where activities can or cannot take place in our waters and inland.”

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Zoning the ocean
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 01:54:11 PM »
http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=50880
This article has a lot of grand statements so I am not sure where facts end and opinions begin.  Either way, it appears to be a another one of those attempts to add another dozen layers of bureacracy that could screw up quite a few things. 

You know, I'm not going to get into the insane drivel that must be the reasoning behind this stupid idea.

I'm just going to ask one question. Where are you getting the money to do this, Obama?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 02:15:02 PM »
National Zoning Plan...because local zoning isn't challenging enough already.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 02:20:57 PM »
They lost me at "emerged as a new paradigm".  Anything that starts with a phrase like that can't be good.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 02:40:04 PM »
The air, the land, the oceans are all the kings and we use them at his pleasure.

So much for property rights.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 07:42:20 PM »
I'm just going to ask one question. Where are you getting the money to do this, Obama?

Gotta tax the rich even more of course, after all it's the only FAIR thing to do.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 12:48:49 PM »
Gotta tax the rich even more of course, after all it's the only FAIR thing to do.

Pretty soon the Rich will be anyone who knows where the next meal is coming from.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 01:59:22 PM »
Pretty soon the Rich will be anyone who knows where the next .gov nutritionist approvedmeal is coming from.
Minor edit
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch