Author Topic: Zimmerman Case Back in the News  (Read 4353 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Zimmerman Case Back in the News
« on: December 03, 2012, 08:02:37 PM »
Hmm. I wonder what the reactions would have been if this would have been the first released image of Zimmerman post-incident?

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/12/03/newly-released-photo-shows-bloodied-george-zimmerman-from-night-trayvon-martin/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Re: Zimmerman Case Back in the News
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 08:08:01 PM »
D'ya think they waited over nine months so the race-baiters could milk it for all it was worth?

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 08:09:05 PM »
But but...

racist shot the boy cause he be hatin!
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 08:59:49 PM »
Never having been in any serious fights, I had thought "flattened nose" was a slightly hyperbolic euphemism.   :O
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 09:17:01 PM »
Zimmerman's injuries aren't going to help if the prosecution proves that the confrontation was initiated by Zimmerman - at this point they're unlikely to change any public opinion as well.

"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 10:07:06 PM »
Zimmerman's injuries aren't going to help if the prosecution proves that the confrontation was initiated by Zimmerman - at this point they're unlikely to change any public opinion as well.

:facepalm:

Don't you think Martin should have retreated or tried to de-escalate the situation instead of pounding on Zimmerman?

jim

Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 10:29:02 PM »

They're going to have a very hard time of that, since there isn't any evidence showing he did. There is decent evidence supporting the fact that Martin jumped Zimmerman; the fact that Martin was a mere 100 yards from his house is particularly damning. He had a large head start over Zimmerman, was younger and in much better shape, and could have covered that distance in less than 15 or 20 seconds, which is much less than the head start he had. The only way Zimmerman could have caught up would be if Martin was waiting in ambush or doubled back.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 10:40:41 PM »
You all may believe it'll be a tough case and that it's a travesty - just so long as we are all in agreement that getting out of your car to follow someone who is running away from you is a massive self defense no-no.

On this case, all Ill say is that I cited both statutes in FL under which he'd be charged on this board before It happened.  I guess the special prosecutor and homicide detective are making the exact same errors in legal analysis that I am.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2012, 10:46:31 PM »
You all may believe it'll be a tough case and that it's a travesty - just so long as we are all in agreement that getting out of your car to follow someone who is running away from you is a massive self defense no-no.

On this case, all Ill say is that I cited both statutes in FL under which he'd be charged on this board before It happened.  I guess the special prosecutor and homicide detective are making the exact same errors in legal analysis throwing the same *expletive deleted*it against the wall to see what sticks that I am.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, 10:48:20 PM »

On this case, all Ill say is that I cited both statutes in FL under which he'd be charged on this board before It happened.  I guess the special prosecutor and homicide detective are making the exact same errors in legal analysis that I am.

Considering that Angela Corey is a known loudmouth/loose-cannon, quite likely given this "hill to die on" intentionally, because of all the racial pressure to bring a case, any case in this matter, and no one else being dumb enough willing to take it, I would suggest you reconsider your legal analysis.

And if I am going to take the word of a lefty lawyer I don't particularly like all that much, I'll take Alan Dershowitz over you.
I promise not to duck.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2012, 11:00:44 PM »
Considering that Angela Corey is a known loudmouth/loose-cannon, quite likely given this "hill to die on" intentionally, because of all the racial pressure to bring a case, any case in this matter, and no one else being dumb enough willing to take it, I would suggest you reconsider your legal analysis.

And if I am going to take the word of a lefty lawyer I don't particularly like all that much, I'll take Alan Dershowitz over you.

Alan Dershowitz on the news on Alan Dershowitz in the courtroom or law review articles?  Those are two different people, one of which is a more widely known loudmouth than most lawyers in America.  His comments on Fox News about the PC document, that was news showmanship.  The PC affidavit Never has any substance.

I've heard all kinds of theories on this case - how it was charged as depraved heart murder to let Zimmerman go, how it wasn't going to be charged, how it was going to a grand jury to die, etc....like I said, the homicide cop saw the case before it ever hit the news, and once it did, those who said charges were inevitable were proven right.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2012, 11:38:19 PM »
What vested interest do you have in seeing Zimmerman hanged?  Most of us on here have looked at the publically avaiable evidence (which unless there's something youre not telling us is the same as what you have to go by) and concluded the he was dumb to leave his vehicle, but did nothing illegal.

I have nothing more than a detached interest in the case, and it makes little difference to me what happens, except to the extent that I want my rights protected, not trampled, if I find myself in a SD situation that the news twists for some perverse agenda.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2012, 11:56:47 PM »
Sump, my interest is in promoting understanding of firearms and self defense laws, and in rightfully distancing gun owners from irresponsible behaviour.  I don't have any investment in Zimmerman apart from that.  I think some attitudes towards self defense on this board are a bit careless at times.

Question:  why do you think what Zimmerman did was dumb?  If you could articulate the reasons, I suspect I'll be able to better explain why I have the view of this case that I do.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2012, 11:57:09 PM »

You know, of course, that he wasn't claiming to have followed Martin in self-defense. It was part of the whole Neighborhood Watch thing. So are you saying that a Neighborhood Watch volunteer gives up his right to self-defense?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2012, 12:05:32 AM »

You know, of course, that he wasn't claiming to have followed Martin in self-defense. It was part of the whole Neighborhood Watch thing. So are you saying that a Neighborhood Watch volunteer gives up his right to self-defense?

Following people who both a) are making an attempt to run away and b) are unlikely to know who you are, and why you're following, most definitely limits your right to self defense.  Doesn't matter if you're neighbourhood watch or not.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2012, 12:10:27 AM »
With all of the second-guessing about what Zimmerman and Martin were thinking, something is being missed here, and that's the racial makeup of Seminole county Florida. The population is 81.6% white, 17.7% Hispanic and 11.7% black. If politics are a factor here, there may be pressure on Corey to not push too far, or not push at all.

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2012, 12:15:53 AM »

If Zimmerman was acting in the capacity as a neighborhood watchman, why didn't he tell Martin this when Martin initially confronted him? It seems like that might have been less likely to trigger a fight than just asking "What are you doing here?"
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2012, 12:17:39 AM »
 :facepalm:
This is deja vu all over again.

Following people who both a) are making an attempt to run away and b) are unlikely to know who you are, and why you're following, most definitely limits your right to self defense.  Doesn't matter if you're neighbourhood watch or not.

As I understand it, Zimmerman, while he had in fact gotten out of his car to follow Martin, had stopped and began returning to his car upon being informed by the 911 operator he was speaking with that he shouldn't do that.
It was then that Martin accosted him and the scuffle ensued that apparantly resulted in Martin  grasping for Zimmerman's gun that prompted Zimmerman's most tendentious action -- shooting Martin.
If this is an accurate version of the story then it would appear to me in fact maybe it was ZIMMERMAN who was retreating and MARTIN who was attacking.
This would appear to paint DeSelby's above comment in a somewhat different light than I'm sure he intended.
But, OTOH, I've heard other iterations of this story as well.
I do, however, sorta wish DeSelby would refrain from taking "potshots" at our boardmembers........
Quote from: DeSelby
I think some attitudes towards self defense on this board are a bit careless at times.
.......especially when his own facts are not exactly "cast in titanium." ;)
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2012, 12:19:27 AM »
You know, I think it's funny that the circumstances went from Zimmerman "pursuing" Martin, to "chasing" Martin, to "following" Martin.

And you know, here's the really interesting thing.   Zimmerman's account (which we have no evidence to refute, by the way) is that he was returning to his vehicle when he was jumped by Martin.  I think we all agree that Zimmerman was absolutely stupid to get out of his vehicle to follow Martin.  However, stupidity is not criminal.   Nor does stupidity remove the right to self defense.  Frankly, that line of thinking starts to go into the "they deserved it" mentality.

Tell me, De Selby, did Zimmerman "deserve" to get jumped and assaulted for following Martin?  If that's all that he was doing?  Did he "deserve" to get his nose broken, his head slammed into the ground?
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2012, 12:29:32 AM »
Following people who both a) are making an attempt to run away and b) are unlikely to know who you are, and why you're following, most definitely limits your right to self defense.  Doesn't matter if you're neighbourhood watch or not.

But Martin wasn't attempting to run away. He hid, and ambushed Zimmerman. Even his own girlfriend's rather questionable story of a phone call confirms that.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2012, 12:59:14 AM »

So the law chooses to ignore that particular context clue. Interesting.

Sump, my interest is in promoting understanding of firearms and self defense laws, and in rightfully distancing gun owners from irresponsible behaviour.  I don't have any investment in Zimmerman apart from that. 

That would be more believable if you hadn't repeatedly said Zimmerman looked like a sex offender.  :lol:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2012, 02:10:54 AM »
Sex offender? I thought DeSelby had said that Zimmerman looked like a skinhead.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2012, 07:47:22 AM »

The right to self-defense arises at the moment you are attacked.  The actions you describe by Zimmerman do not constitute an attack, however imprudent.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2012, 08:18:51 AM »
We've beat this case to death. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”