Author Topic: from facebook  (Read 3590 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
from facebook
« on: March 29, 2012, 12:40:54 PM »
This story was shared by a friend.
Recently, while I was working in the flower beds in the front yard, my neighbors stopped to chat as they returned home from walking their dog. During our friendly conversation, I asked their 12 year old daughter what she wanted to be when she grows up. She said she wanted to be President some day. Both of her parents - liberal Democrats - were standing there, so I asked her, "If you were President... what would be the first thing you would do?" She replied, "I'd give food and houses to all the homeless people." Her parents beamed with pride! "Wow...what a worthy goal!" I said. "But you don't have to wait until you're President to do that!" I told her. "What do you mean?" she replied.

So I told her, "You can come over to my house and mow the lawn, pull weeds, and trim my hedge, and I'll pay you $50. Then you can go over to the grocery store where the homeless guy hangs out, and you can give him the $50 to use toward food and a new house."

She thought that over for a few seconds, then she looked me straight in the eye and asked, "Why doesn't the homeless guy come over and do the work, and you can just pay him the $50?"

I said, "Welcome to the Republican Party."

Her parents aren't speaking to me.
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

geronimotwo

• friend
Re: from facebook
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 06:38:43 PM »
is there another republican party that i don't know about?
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 07:33:54 PM »
Great story!
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 08:30:22 PM »
Sorry, CSD, but I am calling wishful thinking / made up story on this one.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 09:05:52 PM »
Sorry, CSD, but I am calling wishful thinking / made up story on this one.

Well, duh.

Still funny.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 12:14:56 AM »

This is a fair question
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 02:42:22 PM »

Gigglesnort.  ;)
I promise not to duck.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2012, 03:18:03 PM »

lol!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2012, 03:19:26 PM »

=D
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2012, 01:20:26 AM »

The one that's made up of millions of rank-and-file who exemplify the philosophy in question. Same one you were thinking of.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

erictank

• friends
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2012, 05:40:43 AM »

The one that's made up of millions of rank-and-file who exemplify the philosophy in question. Same one you were thinking of.

The ones voting to put into power people who exemplify the VIOLATION of that philosophy?

Yeah, not convinced.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2012, 02:45:10 PM »
The ones voting to put into power people who exemplify the VIOLATION of that philosophy?

Yeah, not convinced.

Feel free to get off your rump and try to convince 50% +1 of your fellow Americans to vote and think as you do.  That is what the Republican Party Reptiles do, it ain;t no secret.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

erictank

• friends
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2012, 06:10:49 PM »
Feel free to get off your rump and try to convince 50% +1 of your fellow Americans to vote and think as you do.  That is what the Republican Party Reptiles do, it ain;t no secret.

All I can do is all I can do. Unfortunately, when more people want the guv'mint to give them stuff (and have other people pay for it) than want the .gov to actually abide by the Constitution and get mostly out of peoples' lives, I'm pretty well outgunned.

That doesn't mean that I'm going to follow their example and vote for people who blatantly violate their oaths of office immediately upon reaching said office, especially after said people run on a platform claiming to be in support of the principles they can't wait to violate.

I might not be able to overcome others' greediness and freaking stupidity.  Doesn't mean I'm going to actively support it.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2012, 10:13:32 AM »
All I can do is all I can do. Unfortunately, when more people want the guv'mint to give them stuff (and have other people pay for it) than want the .gov to actually abide by the Constitution and get mostly out of peoples' lives, I'm pretty well outgunned.

I agree with Eric. Libertarian ideals are contrary to the desires of the overwhelming majority. Folks love telling others what to do. They'll gladly cut their own throats in the long run in order to have dominion over others. Not sure why, but that's what it is. The other side of the coin is that folks also like the idea of getting the government to give them things they did not earn. This is not just limited to the welfare classes either.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2012, 01:34:15 PM »

Yeah, not convinced.

You running for office?

erictank

• friends
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2012, 05:54:34 PM »

You running for office?

I'd really rather not. Been thinking for a while now that I might have to, regardless.  'Sokay, though - there's not a chance in hell that I'd win even if I did, because as Rev stated, "Libertarian ideals are contrary to the desires of the overwhelming majority. Folks love telling others what to do. They'll gladly cut their own throats in the long run in order to have dominion over others. Not sure why, but that's what it is. The other side of the coin is that folks also like the idea of getting the government to give them things they did not earn. This is not just limited to the welfare classes either." My platform wouldn't allow for ANY of that crap - so I'd be pulling Ron Paul-type numbers in the ballots against a traditional political type who promises the voters that they'll get more stuff if they vote for him.  Most would rather have stuff paid for by someone else than be responsible for their own lives and leave other folks the hell alone for a change.

The fact that I don't feel it necessary or appropriate to throw away what few resources I have on a futile bid for political office when I KNOW FOR A FACT that "the People" don't want someone like me in office forcing them to be free to live their own lives and to be responsible for their own choices doesn't mean I can't call out those who *ARE* running for office, or are IN office, on a platform which allegedly advocates "smaller government" that they openly plan to violate or are in fact in the process of violating. The Republicans DESERVE to get slammed for their hypocrisy.  So do the Democrats - either wing of the Modern American Political Machine, when they get up in public and lie about their support for enhanced liberty and a return to abiding by the Constitution and then turn around and stab We The People in the back as they've done so very often, ought to be held accountable for their lies and their hypocrisy. At a minimum, I refuse to act as an enabler for such abusive thugs, even if so many of my fellow voters go back time and again to them on the theory that "They'll change!", just like an abused spouse.  :facepalm:

No, they won't.  They'll *NEVER* change. As long as you keep putting them in and returning them to office, they'll continue to interpret that as enthusiastic support for current policies enacted as they've been for the last few decades, leading us ever further down towards ruin. Calling them out, and voting for REAL change, is the LEAST we can do.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2012, 06:34:37 PM »
tl/dr

The story is about Republicans practicing and preaching self-reliance. The fact that they vote for RINOs doesn't change that, does it?

erictank

• friends
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2012, 08:47:51 PM »
tl/dr

The story is about Republicans practicing and preaching self-reliance. The fact that they vote for RINOs doesn't change that, does it?

Sorry, if you wanted pointless snark instead of an actual look at the issue, you should have just said so. :facepalm:

And yes, it does. When the "best" the Republican Party can offer up is tired old (and I'm not referring to chronological age here, BTW) more-of-the-same hypocrites who can't WAIT to get into office to do all the things they slammed during their campaign speeches, it does indeed change things. When voters are offered a chance to vote for someone running for the Republican nomination who actually demonstrably will practice what he preaches re: self-reliance when compared to his competitors for that nomination, they RUN FREAKING SCREAMING from that opportunity and instead choose en masse to vote for tired old more-of-the-same hypocrites who can't wait to violate their oaths of office and the promises made to the voters during the campaign (or who outright campaign on the fact that they won't abide by those oaths and instead promise to pander to those who can't wait for a shot at the government teat), it does indeed change things.

The historical ideals of the Republican Party have less and less to do with the REALITY of the Republican Party, despite the zeal and even honest good intentions of some of its defenders. Those defenders are by FAR outnumbered by the more-of-the-same types, for whom getting "their cut" and having "their side" win are far more important than supporting the principles their side alleges to believe in.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2012, 11:20:56 PM »
I see your point. I just get tired of people using every possible excuse to point out that the Republican Party is a big mess of fail, as if we didn't all know it.

There are still plenty of Republicans you and I would see eye-to-eye with, but we/they just don't have enough influence on the party.

Do you think part of the trouble might be that those of us who don't want to have power over others to take their stuff are seldom as motivated to win as those who do? It's in our nature to be reactive against unwelcome influences, rather than always being ready to use power over others. When we do have an agenda, that agenda is too easily used to scare those who think their well-being depends on all the things we would do away with (or privatize, really).

The other side just has a bunch of Great Stuff they will do with government. Much simpler and easier to communicate.  =|

erictank

• friends
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2012, 05:13:06 PM »
To tell you the truth, I think that Rev nailed it.  People (many, even most) don't *WANT* to be free.  They want someone to give them stuff, keep them safe, and if they get the opportunity to tell others how to live their lives or to feel like they played a part in keeping someone else from doing something they don't personally agree with (but which harms no one wrongly), so much the better. They're perfectly happy sitting there in that nice warm water - and hey, someone's even making sure it doesn't cool off, how NICE! ;/

Those of us who don't subscribe to such beliefs... well, you might be right there. It could be lack of motivation, as you suggest; for my own part, and I suspect for others, there's a VERY strong sense of futility, of tilting at windmills when damn few others want us to make the effort to increase everyone's liberty - so why bother? I don't want to be Don Quixote, even if the "imaginary enemies" are real. I believe that such attitudes will likely continue until things become intolerable. What happens then? I don't know, but I suspect it won't be pretty - certainly on an individual level, and possibly on a larger one.

I will agree that there are many individuals identifying as Republican that I would have little to no problem with - many of them here on this forum, even, and plenty more out in the world. The problem is that even those individuals seem (to me) to be all too willing to accept "more-of-the-same" if they think it gives "their side" a chance to win the election - which means that we as a society keep heading in the wrong direction. That many then bemoan the fact that "I wish we could have politicians who were DIFFERENT!" just makes me go  :facepalm: - lacking the headdesk or head-to-brick-wall emoticons I've seen on other forums. When so many people, so many GOOD INTENTIONED people, refuse to vote for the candidate embodying everything they claim to want and then complain that they didn't get the difference they wanted from Mr. More-Of-The-Same, that's... frustrating. Add to that the Republican Party's decades-long custom of violating their own stated principles of encouraging self-reliance and working for limited government. Yeah, Obama's been racking up the debt and expanding government at a breakneck, even record pace - but W. certainly wasn't a piker in that respect himself, as I think everyone here can agree.

So, the question (to me) then becomes, how do we get all those people who claim to REALLY WANT limited government, government debt reduction and spending within its legitimate means, and the enacting of policies promoting self-reliance rather than reliance on the Nanny State to actually VOTE for people who would act on those things? How do we get the Republican Party to once more be the group referenced in the OP joke? I don't have an answer for that - I wish I did. I'd love for the Republican Party to adhere to the ideals it claims to stand for, to be in fact the bastion of individual liberty it claims to be, to be a group that I generally wouldn't have a problem voting for in any given election. But I know that voting for people who violate those principles is not the way, and I won't do it.