Author Topic: Dear South:  (Read 3773 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Dear South:
« on: November 27, 2013, 09:55:07 AM »
Thank you for the wonderful combination of fried chicken and Jack Daniels.

OMG, the other night I was lazy and didn't want to cook dinner, so I ran off to KFC for some take-out.  I bring it back home and the bottle of Jack up on top of the fridge beckoned to me, so I obliged.  Wow, is that ever the perfect combination!  Probably worlds better with proper fried chicken rather than KFC, but now I've got an excuse for another road trip. =D
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Dear South:
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 10:04:58 AM »
My dad used to make whiskey fried chicken.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 10:48:24 AM »
Thank you for the wonderful combination of fried chicken and Jack Daniels.

OMG, the other night I was lazy and didn't want to cook dinner, so I ran off to KFC for some take-out.  I bring it back home and the bottle of Jack up on top of the fridge beckoned to me, so I obliged.  Wow, is that ever the perfect combination!  Probably worlds better with proper fried chicken rather than KFC, but now I've got an excuse for another road trip. =D

For fast food chicken, it's hard to beat a Popeyes or a Bojangles.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 10:55:38 AM »
Fried chicken,  thumbs up.
Jack Daniels,  I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 10:55:56 AM »
For fast food chicken, it's hard to beat a Popeyes or a Bojangles.

There is a chain of restaurants called Pizza Ranch that are all over the place in Iowa and a few surrounding states that has awesome fried chicken.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pizza_Ranch

Uranus is a gas giant.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 11:07:00 AM »
Fried chicken,  thumbs up.
Jack Daniels,  I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

I haven't bought any JD since they cut the proof but not the price.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 11:13:00 AM »
Jack Daniels is good for mixing with coke and freezing into delicious alcoholic icees, but that's about it.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2013, 11:36:19 AM »
I like Popeyes so much, I looked up the details on franchising. They are PRICEY. The weird thing is that they are nearly always located in da hood.
I'm another one that can longer drink Jack.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2013, 11:36:33 AM »
I switched to Scotch  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2013, 01:10:00 PM »
I like Popeyes so much, I looked up the details on franchising. They are PRICEY. The weird thing is that they are nearly always located in da hood.

Weird? Do demographics much?  =D Living in the hood I had my choice. I'd go to the SE chain of Church's just because they had fried okra. That part of town, pretty sure I was the first non-cop white boy they'd ever seen.

JD?  [barf]
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2013, 01:14:13 PM »
Jack, one of those whiskeys I don't buy but if someone offered me a Jack-n-coke, I'd just smile and choke it down.

Uranus is a gas giant.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2013, 02:56:46 PM »
There is a chain of restaurants called Pizza Ranch that are all over the place in Iowa and a few surrounding states that has awesome fried chicken.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pizza_Ranch

Same chain in WI. Been to two of them, second one was just to see if the first was a fluke. Poor selection of undercooked Pizza, dry chicken. No thanks, won't go back.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2013, 03:49:21 PM »

There's a Popeyes about 3 miles from my house and we're definitely not in da hood.  I'm not really a fan though.  To each their own. They're opening a Bojangles even closer, so I'll have to try them.  I'm not really much of a drinker either, but I live one county away from where they make Jack Daniels.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2013, 03:59:20 PM »
I just get my fried chicken at Hardee's. KFC is in a weird part of town.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2013, 05:02:24 PM »
I just get my fried chicken at Hardee's. KFC is in a weird part of town.

I thought Hardee's got out of the fried chicken bid'ness a few years ago.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2013, 05:18:03 PM »
I keep a bottle of JD in the cuboard above the stove. It gets used in nearly all of my recipes requiring bourbon, and some that don't. Don't drink it though.

bob

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2013, 05:33:59 PM »

Not around here.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2013, 05:44:36 PM »
I keep a bottle of JD in the cuboard above the stove. It gets used in nearly all of my recipes requiring bourbon, and some that don't. Don't drink it though.

bob

That's what I do, except with Maker's Mark.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Re: Dear South:
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2013, 05:49:30 PM »
Bojangles FTW

Sent via tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2013, 06:26:41 PM »
Not around here.

Ya learn sumpin new ever day.

Quote from: Wiki
For a short time in the early 1990s, Hardee's outlets sold the popular fried chicken recipe acquired from the Roy Rogers fast food chain. Hardee's locations in southeastern Virginia, eastern North Carolina, and Millvale, Pennsylvania just outside of Pittsburgh still serve chicken today, where sales remain strong, as well as the traditional sides such as mashed potatoes & gravy, cole slaw, and biscuits.

I've often heard that they dumped the chicken (most places), because they found the chicken side of things was detracting from their fast food service. Which is odd, because Hardees (even without chicken) is ssssssllllllllllllloooooooooowwwwwwwww.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2013, 06:35:45 PM »
That's what I do, except with Maker's Mark.

Someone gave my stepdad a bottle of Maker's Mark. The thing is he and my mother arn't much for alcohol and when they do drink it's usually wine.
So, after the bottle collected dust for a year or two, last Christmas Mom used it to make burbon balls. Except she went a little heavy on the burbon for the first batch. Due to popular demand, she made the second (and I think there was even a third) batch just as strong.

You gotta love dessert foods that both satisfy your sweet tooth and get you tipsy at the same time.
=D

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2013, 06:43:48 PM »

They did for a while after Carl's Jr brought Hardee's. Hardee's had gotten so crappy no one wanted to eat there and stores were dropping like flies...after the buyout and with the introduction of Thickburgers in the Hardee's restaurents they announced that they were "going totally back to focusing on burgers" for it's lunch/dinner menu instead of the varied poor quality menu items.

Now they've come full circle and are back to serving crappy food (the Hardees down here tend to have an OK breakfast but the lunch and dinner selections suck) and back to serving a lot of varied items on the lunch/dinner menu.

Personally I do not care to eat at Hardees down here, except maybe for breakfast. The service is crappy, it takes forever to get your food, and the food just ain't that good.

We have Bojangles, KFC, Church's, Popeye's, and Zaxby's as our big chicken chains down in this area. Zaxby's and Bojangles are pretty good, I like them both. Popeye's and KFC are OK and tolerable unless it's just a shitty store, and Church's is inedible (extremely greasy and so nasty rats will not eat it...seriously, we were having major rat problems in a building, put some Church's chicken on the big Victor trap, and the rats would not go for it at all).

You'll find Bojangles and KFC all over, Popeyes in both ghetto and non-ghetto hoods (but with an inclination to the ghetto), and Zaxby's are usually in the better areas. I haven't seen a Church's outside of the ghetto.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2013, 09:06:44 PM »
I rather like Hardee's in Montana  =)

Good coffee and they have it out where you can get all you want.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2013, 10:38:16 PM »
They did for a while after Carl's Jr brought Hardee's. Hardee's had gotten so crappy no one wanted to eat there and stores were dropping like flies...after the buyout and with the introduction of Thickburgers in the Hardee's restaurents they announced that they were "going totally back to focusing on burgers" for it's lunch/dinner menu instead of the varied poor quality menu items.

Now they've come full circle and are back to serving crappy food (the Hardees down here tend to have an OK breakfast but the lunch and dinner selections suck) and back to serving a lot of varied items on the lunch/dinner menu.

Personally I do not care to eat at Hardees down here, except maybe for breakfast. The service is crappy, it takes forever to get your food, and the food just ain't that good.

We have Bojangles, KFC, Church's, Popeye's, and Zaxby's as our big chicken chains down in this area. Zaxby's and Bojangles are pretty good, I like them both. Popeye's and KFC are OK and tolerable unless it's just a shitty store, and Church's is inedible (extremely greasy and so nasty rats will not eat it...seriously, we were having major rat problems in a building, put some Church's chicken on the big Victor trap, and the rats would not go for it at all).

You'll find Bojangles and KFC all over, Popeyes in both ghetto and non-ghetto hoods (but with an inclination to the ghetto), and Zaxby's are usually in the better areas. I haven't seen a Church's outside of the ghetto.

On this all I can do is agree.

Though the local meat and three has same dang good fried chicken. And Publix supermarkets actually have excellent fried chicken.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2013, 10:40:17 PM »
I rather like Hardee's in Montana  =)

Good coffee and they have it out where you can get all you want.

I would ask which one, but there's probably only one Hardee's in the state.   =)