Author Topic: Dear South:  (Read 3773 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Dear South:
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2013, 10:44:54 PM »
And Publix supermarkets actually have excellent fried chicken.

I like the fried chicken from the local Albertson's better than the fried chicken from the local five star gourmet southern restaurant that everyone raves about (hint: you can hardly tell that it's even fried. Plus the portions are ridiculously small).
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2013, 11:40:28 PM »
I like Popeyes so much, I looked up the details on franchising. They are PRICEY. The weird thing is that they are nearly always located in da hood.
I'm another one that can longer drink Jack.

NSFW.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoPFAlf393g&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Formerly sumpnz

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2013, 12:58:12 AM »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2013, 01:09:15 AM »
I don't bother darkening KFC's door, after the my last experience with their service and a bout of the "KFC Trots."  Yeah, you only rent KFC.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2013, 01:55:40 AM »
If you find yourself in the Virginia Beach/Norfolk area you eat chicken here: http://pollardschicken.com/ Excellent chicken, pretty sure it's done in lard. I've seen them do chicken for 10,000 on-site, they don't screw around.

Hardee's is pretty damn good around here. I too hit them up for chicken. Some places in the podunk areas of Tidewater Hardee's is the only restaurant in town, used to stop on the way to IPSC matches, not uncommon to be standing room only for breakfast with all the church people. Weird people of the south I guess.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2013, 10:54:43 AM »

I would ask which one, but there's probably only one Hardee's in the state.   =)

There are two in Billings.  I don't know about anywhere else.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2013, 12:12:24 PM »
I like the fried chicken from the local Albertson's better than the fried chicken from the local five star gourmet southern restaurant that everyone raves about (hint: you can hardly tell that it's even fried. Plus the portions are ridiculously small).

I think what we are going to see in the near future is that grocery store deli's are going to greatly increase in popularity when people realize that they can get really good food for the price instead of going to say, a crappy local place or a fast food joint. Especially once the grocery stores start putting in more seating and such...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Lee

• friend
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2013, 03:06:30 PM »
Yeah... I'm familiar with demographics. Last I heard great fried chicken and Cajun inspired dishes are pretty popular with white folk as well.  The Popeyes I go to is located in a ethnically mixed neighborhood. Everyone working there is black, and during lunch hours, nearly everyone eating there is white. Not so much at night though. It's one of the better run fast food places I've experienced. The woman who manages it runs a tight ship.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2013, 03:24:27 PM »
I think what we are going to see in the near future is that grocery store deli's are going to greatly increase in popularity when people realize that they can get really good food for the price instead of going to say, a crappy local place or a fast food joint. Especially once the grocery stores start putting in more seating and such...

They've already done that at the Mariano's here in Chicago.   At least once a week Robert suggests that we go eat there.    Ummm no.

The really good fried chicken comes from JJ's Fish and Chicken.  If you're not big on things like sanitation or personal safety (none are located in in even marginal neighborhoods)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 04:26:03 PM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2013, 03:37:15 PM »
Way back when I was a young pup, in the early 70's, and a poor sailor stationed in Norfolk, there was a local supermarket that had a sit down area to eat. You could go grab a hunk o' beef, take it to them and for a small fee, they would cook it up for you on the spot, along with selling the sides to go with it. I much preferred that place to a lot of restaurants in town, and it was a good place to eat following a night of beer drinking and watching dancers and such down in Ocean View.

bob

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2013, 06:08:50 PM »
Jack Daniels is good for distilling into something useful.

I miss the original Hardee's here in Wisconsin.  When Carl's Jr. took over they may have well just closed it.

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"