Author Topic: Intergalactic Sci-Fi?  (Read 4310 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Intergalactic Sci-Fi?
« on: November 29, 2013, 11:20:36 AM »
Can anyone recommend some sci-fi that involves intergalactic travel?  Seems just about all of it limits itself to a single galaxy, if it involves travel beyond a single star system.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Phyphor

• friend
Re: Intergalactic Sci-Fi?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 12:08:36 PM »
Ring, by Stephen Baxter, technically.....

=D
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2013, 01:12:42 PM »
http://www.amazon.com/The-Genesis-Quest-Donald-Moffitt/dp/1585863475

Humans raised by a benevolent if paternalistic alien species in the Andromeda galaxy. They received the "plans" for humans and a whole bunch of our tech in a Encyclopedia Galactica from a high power SETI/contact broadcast from the Milky Way galaxy, where it's implied humanity has reached a very high level of development.

I promise not to duck.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2013, 05:07:27 PM »
Thanks for mentioning my stuff!  To be fair, my folks travel between our galaxy and the Large Magellanic Cloud, which is a diffuse sub-galaxy only 167,000 light-years away.  Other fully formed galaxies are much further away, and therein lies the problem.

If your ship is fast enough to cross between galaxies in any reasonable time (say, the life expectancy of the original crew), then it is also fast enough to be anywhere in the local galaxy pretty much instantaneously,  barring some other limiting factor such as time dilation.  From a writing perspective,  it is hard to build tension if your characters can travel so fast.

By the way, the Destiny from Stargate Universe travels between galaxies.  I enjoyed the show, but it has a drastically different tone than the parent shows.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2013, 05:21:08 PM »

By the way, the Destiny from Stargate Universe travels between galaxies.  I enjoyed the show, but it has a drastically different tone than the parent shows.

Yup.  I really liked the different tone of SGU versus the rest of that franchise. 

Been watching various Star Trek series, finally swallowed my bile towards Voyager and watched a couple episodes.  Two things interest me in the show:
1. The ginormous distance involved to get the ship back to Federation space, and the tech puzzles it presents.
2. The Doctor.  Very interesting how he's essentially just software like Data was, but lacking corporeal form he gets treated like junk by the crew rather than respected as Data was.  The only difference being the Doctor's lack of corporeal presence.

I hate Janeway.  Total "bitchy resting face."  And her whole thing in the pilot when people called her "sir" as is done to all officers, and her wanting only her explicit rank or "ma'am" as an expedient minimum just screams "treat me special because I'm a girl."

I pretty much dislike the whole crew, too. 

And the two aliens they pick up as quasi-crew in Delta Quadrant suck.  Not quite as bad as Jar Jar Binks... but awful.

I'd like to find some sci-fi that deals with mind-boggling distances, that isn't full of 90's Roddenberry feel-good twaddle.  Devonai's stuff is on my Kindle, I've got one more or Bracken's books to finish before I get to it. 

Anyone got any TV or movies to recommend that deal with this sub-genre of sci-fi?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2013, 05:36:06 PM »
Can anyone recommend some sci-fi that involves intergalactic travel?  Seems just about all of it limits itself to a single galaxy, if it involves travel beyond a single star system.
See if you can pick up the Lensman or Skylark books of Edward E. Smith; these classic 1950's sci-fi series feature intergalactic travel on a huge level, with incredible villains, eons-old plots, and a scale seldom seen today when we know so much more about how the universe works. For example, the Lensman books start with the line "Two thousand million years ago, two galaxies were colliding . . . " and build up from there.

(BTW, if you google Lensman, you may come across a reference to a Japanese anime rip-off of the books. Ignore it for the garbage it is.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2013, 06:00:24 PM »
Can anyone recommend some sci-fi that involves intergalactic travel?  Seems just about all of it limits itself to a single galaxy, if it involves travel beyond a single star system.

A. E. van Vogt, The Mixed Men.   Many thousands of years in the future, humanity has a galactic empire.  Persecuted minority of human derived sort-of supermen and their human sympathizers migrate to one of the Megallanic Clouds.  Thousands of years later, at the time of the novel, an expedition from the main galaxy stumbles across them.  '40s era space opera.

Come to think of it, the fixup novel made from his "Black Destroyer" and sequels, has our human heros scouring a scourge that threatens to spread to the MIlky Way, our of the Andromeda galaxy.  The whole Andromeda galaxy.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 06:11:13 PM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2013, 06:04:16 PM »

Anyone got any TV or movies to recommend that deal with this sub-genre of sci-fi?

If by "sci-fi" you mean TeeVee and movies, I suspect the whole concept of galaxies is vague to them.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2013, 07:20:53 PM »
I think Tau Zero by Poul Anderson had intergalactic travel. It is classified as "hard science fiction".
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

zahc

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2013, 07:31:05 PM »
Not intergalactic, but if you are interested in intergalactic, Vinge's A Fire Upon The Deep has interesting alternate physics explaining its intra-galactic economies and cultures. Also has obligatory interesting aliens and is distinctive in acknowledging the impact and importance of computing and computation.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2013, 08:20:43 PM »
Not intergalactic, but if you are interested in intergalactic, Vinge's A Fire Upon The Deep has interesting alternate physics explaining its intra-galactic economies and cultures. Also has obligatory interesting aliens and is distinctive in acknowledging the impact and importance of computing and computation.

I thought about that one.  Intergalactic in the sense that there is something out there, past even  the Transcend.  But, sensible mortals stay down in the Beyond, where it's safe.  Relatively safe.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2013, 08:39:16 PM »
OK, Fire Upon the Deep seems to be more towards what I'm looking for.  Something that says that laws of physics aren't constant, that reality isn't all we perceive, but wraps it in sci-fi rather than fantasy.  Cool, thx! 
--Lysander Spooner

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2013, 08:41:08 PM »
Yup, Devonai's works and at mention of van Vogt, if I remember right, the Mixed Men are Joseph Dell's Dellian Perfect Robots. A sample here:

http://baencd.freedoors.org/Books/Transgalactic/1416520899___9.htm
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2013, 09:50:10 PM »
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2013, 09:54:05 PM »
Battlefield Earth has multiple universes to wok with. 
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2013, 11:01:40 PM »
I hate Janeway.  Total "bitchy resting face."  And her whole thing in the pilot when people called her "sir" as is done to all officers, and her wanting only her explicit rank or "ma'am" as an expedient minimum just screams "treat me special because I'm a girl."

Where is this part of customs and courtesies?  I've never called a female officer that outranked me "sir."  Is this a Navy thing or something?

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2013, 11:03:56 PM »
Where is this part of customs and courtesies?  I've never called a female officer that outranked me "sir."  Is this a Navy thing or something?

Starfleet (fictional) it's customary for all officers to be addressed as sir.  Regardless of gender.

Janeway wants to be "different."  For whatever reason. ;/

ETA:  source:

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Military_parlance

Go to the subsection labeled "Sir" about 80% of the way down.
--Lysander Spooner

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2013, 11:42:54 PM »
Ring, by Stephen Baxter, technically.....

=D

Oh now there's a depressing book.  The whole universe is coming to an end, because a race that's so superior to humanity that they went back in time and tweaked their own evolution so that they could fight this war, lost out to something even stranger.  The last surviving corporeal humans are dumped into a new universe that's, ahh, inhospitable.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2013, 11:56:26 PM »
2. The Doctor.  Very interesting how he's essentially just software like Data was, but lacking corporeal form he gets treated like junk by the crew rather than respected as Data was.  The only difference being the Doctor's lack of corporeal presence.

Actually, this bit would have been one of the best bits of 'hard' scifi in media if they'd managed to pull off what I think they were trying for correctly.

To steal a term from Mass Effect - the Doctor was orginally intended to be a 'Virtual Intelligence', not an 'artificial intelligence'.  Consider how Data ended up going through a trial to try to determine whether he was an AI or 'just a machine'.  How realistic the holographic 'actors' were on the holodeck, Moriarty and such.  

Roughly speaking, a 'Virtual Intelligence' is still just a machine, a computer program.  But it's one that has been programed enough and is actually capable of some level of 'learning', but isn't actually sapiant or aware.  Within it's role, it's capable of imitating intelligence very well, though outside of flawed presentations I figure that the 'real' people of Star Trek can quickly spot VIs from actual people or even AIs.  You see some of this in some of the better holodeck episodes where the crew, still in uniform and some alien, enter the holodeck and representations of ancient people act like they're perfectly normal.

So the idea was that 'The Doctor' starts out as a VI, one with a particularly abrasive personality at that.  Very much not a people person, because in universe most of the development was by a man who in real life would probably test as autistic - all the care for the biological functions, but a horrible interface for most people.  Basically a holodeck character with realworld medical procedures wired in.  A form of autodoc, if you will.

But they mostly screwed it up.

Starfleet (fictional) it's customary for all officers to be addressed as sir.  Regardless of gender.

Go to the subsection labeled "Sir" about 80% of the way down.

Interesting...  I've heard about some militaries in real life doing this, but I wonder where in the backstory they implimented this tradition, or have they even bothered?  Could it have popped up when they started dealing with aliens that were of non-standard genders(can think of like six variations off the top of my head), or some lingering symptom of 'equal opportunity' gone mad?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 01:26:47 PM by Firethorn »

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2013, 08:48:30 AM »
Janeway = "Sir"

Interesting...  I've heard about some militaries in real life doing this, but I wonder were in the backstory they implimented this tradition, or have they even bothered?  Could it have popped up when they started dealing with aliens that were of non-standard genders(can think of like six variations off the top of my head), or some lingering symptom of 'equal opportunity' gone mad?

I vote for over-the-top equal opportunity. It's already been going on here, for a couple of decades. I'm sure it has been at least that long since I've been aware of waitpersons referring to all members of mixed gender parties as "you guys." More recently, I've noticed coaches of women's basketball teams referring to the members of the teams as "the guys."

:facepalm:
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2013, 11:01:40 AM »
Roughly speaking, a 'Virtual Intelligence' is still just a machine, a computer program.  But it's one that has been programed enough and is actually capable of some level of 'learning', but isn't actually sapiant or aware.

Democrats  ???     =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2013, 11:34:14 AM »

I vote for over-the-top equal opportunity. It's already been going on here, for a couple of decades. I'm sure it has been at least that long since I've been aware of waitpersons referring to all members of mixed gender parties as "you guys." More recently, I've noticed coaches of women's basketball teams referring to the members of the teams as "the guys."

:facepalm:

Meh... I don't know if you've studied any other languages than English, but pluralization often involves choosing a gender for the group of objects you are referring to.  Spanish, for instance, you would use "ellos" for a group of men, "ellas" for a group of women, but a mixed group will default to "ellos."  Just the rules of the language.  I've never studied German but I understand they have 3 genders in their verb conjugations and object references.

Speaking to royalty in Spanish and using classic Castillian Spanish, you would address the King as "vuestra merced."  Note the feminine tense of vuestra.  You are literally calling him "Your Mercy" or Your Mercifulness, and it carries connotation of speaking to a person who can grant favors the likes of which no Italian Mob Don would ever be capable of doing... but the gender of the term is feminine.  Despite "El Rey" (the king) being masculine.  Vuestra Merced is also a plural conjugation, despite the king being a singular entity.

Languages are all so weird (don't even get me started on Japanese) that the notion of calling a woman officer "sir" 400 years from now doesn't strike me as anything close to out of line.  It's probably that way in the Federation so that alien species can simplify their ability to speak English, and humans know what to call a Federation-related officer without being able to determine gender of an alien species.

And then BRF Janeway wants to screw up all of that customary behavior across all the other thousands of Federation ships and outposts, so she can feel more girly. ;/
--Lysander Spooner

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2013, 01:31:23 PM »
Languages are all so weird (don't even get me started on Japanese) that the notion of calling a woman officer "sir" 400 years from now doesn't strike me as anything close to out of line.  It's probably that way in the Federation so that alien species can simplify their ability to speak English, and humans know what to call a Federation-related officer without being able to determine gender of an alien species.

So we basically have one vote for each hypothesis.  Sort of.  One reason for the 'human change' theory is that universal translators are quite good, but WWIII and the associated fallout seemed to change quite a few behaviors(the whole 'no money' thing seems confined to humans).  It could also be something picked up from the Vulcans(or Andorians). 

Perhaps it was something that became prevalent when militaries of different countries and languages had to combine to fight the threat the augments posed, and after the smoke cleared the remaining forces had a few different customs.  One of which is to call everyone 'sir' in the sense that we're all one team and don't want to sexualize anything.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2013, 02:14:18 PM »
I'd call Janeway "Skipper" incessantly, and blame it on a defective Babelfish in my ear.
I promise not to duck.