Author Topic: Intergalactic Sci-Fi?  (Read 4308 times)

grampster

• friend
Re: Intergalactic Sci-Fi?
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2013, 09:58:19 PM »
There is the EVE Universe. (gamers will know about this one, I think)  There are 3 novels spun off:  EVE:The Impyrean Age, EVE: The Burning Life and EVE: Templar One.  These stories are long (centuries) after humans have left our galaxy through a mysterious gate  which collapsed and trapped humanity elsewhere.  I'm just finishing the 3rd one.  Quite a lot of stuff to sort out and remember while reading, but interesting and enjoyable nonetheless.

I highly recommend David Kantrowitz' (Devonai) stories.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2013, 11:10:18 PM »
The Uplift Series by David Brin is built on intergalactic cultural and political doings, but makes rather little of the intergalactic background until the last book.  Shameless space opera, Brin's own description, it is great fun.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 11:58:22 PM by Chuck Dye »
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2013, 09:40:59 AM »
Meh... I don't know if you've studied any other languages than English, but pluralization often involves choosing a gender for the group of objects you are referring to.  Spanish, for instance, you would use "ellos" for a group of men, "ellas" for a group of women, but a mixed group will default to "ellos."  Just the rules of the language.  I've never studied German but I understand they have 3 genders in their verb conjugations and object references.

I used to be fluent in French, and my wife is from Sud America so I am well aware of the Spanish usage. But we're not talking about Spanish here, we're talking about English. And, even if we were talking about Spanish, first of all the word "guy" is a noun, not a pronoun. Secondly, a women's basketball team doesn't (by definition) include any male players, so if it were being discussed in Spanish the speaker would not use "ellos" but "ellas."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2013, 03:36:20 PM »
Probably not what you had in mind but the WH40K universe is intergalactic.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2013, 04:25:02 PM »
I used to be fluent in French, and my wife is from Sud America so I am well aware of the Spanish usage. But we're not talking about Spanish here, we're talking about English. And, even if we were talking about Spanish, first of all the word "guy" is a noun, not a pronoun. Secondly, a women's basketball team doesn't (by definition) include any male players, so if it were being discussed in Spanish the speaker would not use "ellos" but "ellas."

Hawkmoon, my point is that the gender of an object in its language has no bearing on the masculinity/femininity of the object.

"La verga," for instance, is a perfectly manly and virile slang term for male genitalia, despite its feminine object label.  Maricon or puto are both masculine objects, but mean sissy or queer.  A slang term for semen commonly used is "la leche" (milk).  Fertility is a big thing in Mexican culture, but when boasting of virility they will talk big about verga and leche.  

It's extraordinarily common for a word to simply have an assigned gender, regardless of the gender of the person bearing that title, or the perceived "manliness/girliness" of the object.  Comandante, for example, is masculine... even if a woman is a comandante.

This is true across all the latin/romantic languages.  I've found Japanese and Mandarin Chinese to be more social heirarchy-focused than gender-focused when referring to objects, and there isn't much gender reference except against living creatures.  I assume most asian languages will conform more closely to the Mandarin model on which most of them relate, not unlike the romantics relating to Latin.  But I believe that most of the languages in the world operate with some sort of awareness of implied gender of many objects.  Arabic has sun and moon letters, and gender of nouns... in Arabic a flower is feminine in all sentences that will refer to it, even if the flower has stamen only and no female reproductive components.  In English, many objects have implied genders.  Ships come to mind in particular, but there's implied assumptions when encountering other objects.

But "Comandante" fits this argument perfectly.  Regardless of the lactating capabilities of the breasts being referred to as "comandante," it is still going to be written in the ship's logs that "El comandante ha dicho que el barque tiene que navigar a Mexico."  The commander has dictated that the ship must navigate to Mexico.

In the Starfleet utopian universe, you can either have alien species attempting to ogle all the crewmembers and being paranoid about whom to refer to as sir or ma'am, trying to keep tabs on which alien species have breast-like structures on the torso of their females, or which male species have reproductive organs on their knees, ad nauseum, or you can simply respect the role and give it an implied genderless shorthand title that will work for all instances.  While English has unisex definite and indefinite articles ("the" and "a/an"), it does not have unisex suffixes to replace lay titles (sir, madam, mister, miss) and it lacks any capability to truncate more formal titles (doctor, professor, captain, lieutenant, etc).

It's either have interspecies boob-gazing, or get over the gender crap and accept the respect for the role in a quick "sir" while moving on with the real problems.  As evidenced by 100+ years of Trek lore, up until Janeway opens her yap.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 04:58:09 PM by AZRedhawk44 »
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2013, 04:55:18 PM »
Wow. Doc Smith and Van Vogt in one thread- mom raised me on this stuff. And Kenneth Roberts...

Anyway, you might enjoy Iain M Banks-  RIP. A really fabulous sci fi writer.

http://www.iain-banks.net/books/#sf

I did not know he wrote fiction under Iain Banks, without the "M".

May 11th, 2011 in Awards & Accolades, Global

UK-based tech news website The Register has been running an online poll, asking it's readers to nominate the 'best sci-fi films never made'; books that have so far, somehow, been over-looked by Hollywood's movie moguls in favour of yet a.n.other sequel and / or re-hash.

And the winner, by a significant margin, was our very own Iain M. Banks' Use of Weapons.

The Register reports:

"The 50 candidates attracted a whopping 27,088 votes, with the winner securing 10,032. Runner-up was Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle's The Mote In God's Eye, which was honoured with 7,099 votes. You can see the full results right here.

Worth noting that Consider Phlebas, Excession, The Player of Games and The Algebraist also featured, polling a few hundred votes between them. But it's clearly Use of Weapons that people want to see on the big screen.

Hollywood movie moguls, take note!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 05:00:25 PM by tokugawa »