Author Topic: My first batch of beer  (Read 5737 times)

geronimotwo

• friend
Re: My first batch of beer
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2013, 04:37:33 PM »
Kit and recipe.  Neither mention the intended clarity of the final product.

to quote the author of my first homebrew book, "don't worry, have a homebrew!".  really, there are many variables that will change the beer one way or another, but regardless, it's gonna taste great!  if the fermentation has stopped, bottle it!  after it's aged a couple of weeks, drink it!  mmmmm homebrew!
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2013, 09:30:59 PM »
I think it's as clarified as it's gonna get, without letting it sit for 6 weeks in a 50* fridge or something.

Going to bottle tonight.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2013, 09:43:35 PM »
don't forget the priming sugar!   you'll want to give it a taste but it will be nasty, with only hints of greatness!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2013, 01:00:03 AM »
Wow, the color is so different in smaller containers.  Color properties of beer don't seem to have much in common with mead or wine, in large containers.

It's straw-gold when going through a siphon tube.  Still some cloudiness in a 12oz bottle though.  There was a 4oz remnant partial bottle that I put into a frosty mug from the freezer and cooled, then tasted.  Mellow, smooth, mildly hopped, a yeast-bite aftertaste to be expected this soon after fermentation.  It will be a very "safe" first brew, as I expected.

Finished at about 6.3% alcohol content.

Yield was 48 x 12oz bottles, which comes out to a little less than 4 gallons.  I'm having a hard time believing I lost that much liquid from racking twice.  I'd estimate that there is about 12-16 ounces in the bottom of my secondary carboy loaded with sediment, and there was about 3-4 ounces of waste product in the bottom of my bottling bucket.  The first time I racked I probably had 24-32 ounces of leftover liquid in bottom of the primary, to avoid bringing the sediment up into the secondary.

Where'd the other half gallon go?  There was some evaporation, I guess... but is actual volume of internal contents lost somehow when the yeast is producing CO2 and emitting it out the airlock?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2013, 08:16:50 AM »
don't worry, have a homebrew!   =D   there should be at least a quart of yeast goo at the bottom of the carboy,  how much airspace did you leave in the bottles?  by the way that "goo" can be used as the yeast for the next batch.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2013, 09:13:41 AM »
how much airspace did you leave in the bottles? 

I used one of these to do the filling:

http://www.amazon.com/Brewcraft-Fermtech-Plastic-Bottle-Filler/dp/B0064OEE9O/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1387807614&sr=8-1-fkmr2

Makes it very easy to get repeatable fill levels in each bottle.  I fill to the tip-top of the bottle, then remove the filler.  The beer level inside drops as the filler is removed, and the fill line descends down the neck of the bottle about halfway.

Then I cap with this:

http://www.amazon.com/Bottle-Capper-Red-Baron-Homebrew/dp/B000Q6ARMY/ref=pd_sim_indust_5

I looked at a bottle this morning, and the cloudiness is dissipating.  That frustrates me.  It spent so long sitting in the secondary... the yeast should have precipitated out in the secondary.  Unless maybe the cloudiness and hint of silt at the bottom isn't yeast, and it is the priming sugar I put into the bottling bucket?
--Lysander Spooner

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2013, 03:49:38 PM »
all this time spent whining about cloudiness, and now that it's clarifying......... :facepalm:

those bottle fillers are a great tool for the home brewer.  I also recommend one of these bottle rinsers if you don't have one already.

http://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Steel-Carboy-Bottle-Washer/dp/B003H84UD0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1387830501&sr=8-3&keywords=bottle+rinser

with an adapter it can be mounted right on the kitchen spigot, and saves a lot of time rinsing.

the sugar shouldn't settle out if you made a light syrup of it first, but unless it's pasteurized and strained I think you always get some yeasty sediment on the bottom.  some people like to roll the bottle to stir the yeast back in before drinking (particularly with a hefeweizen), but I try to pour the beer without stirring it up.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2013, 05:08:26 PM »
Some sediment on the bottom is the price you pay for carbonation when bottle carbing.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2014, 05:19:05 PM »
have you given it a try?

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2014, 10:51:38 PM »
Yep, it's dandy.  I have a porter kit in the mail on its way to me now that my equipment's all freed up.
--Lysander Spooner

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2014, 09:53:27 AM »
you may find that the carbonation will continue to increase over the next few weeks, but you should have a good idea about where the taste is heading by now.  home brew has a much more satisfying flavor than commercial beers.  some say that's just because of the extra effort one puts in to the product.   ;)