Author Topic: Sky Whale  (Read 5273 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Sky Whale
« on: January 16, 2014, 12:58:35 PM »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2538651/The-future-air-travel-Three-storey-Sky-Whale-fits-755-passengers-virtual-reality-windows-self-healing-wings.html

Puckers my behind a little bit to think about flying in a plane that is designed to separate from its wings.  They talk about doing that for safety reasons in the event of a crash, but I'd rather see perhaps selective ejection of the fuel tanks, rather than a link between the fuselage and wings that is deliberately designed to fail or be separated by exploding bolts.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Sky Whale
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 01:14:20 PM »
Typical of what you get when a "designer" starts drawing pretty pictures of something about which he knows nothing.

I don't think tilting the engines 45 degrees would in any way allow for short-runway landings or for VTOL. And I don't think those wings could possibly generate enough lift for what that thing would have to weigh. I also don't think three engines (based on engines available today) could generate enough thrust.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 01:16:48 PM »
In a crash, wings tend to dig in and cause the fuselage to roll.  No bueno.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 01:26:04 PM »
In a crash, wings tend to dig in and cause the fuselage to roll.  No bueno.

So you think withOUT wings it wouldn't roll?

Don't ... think ... so.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 01:43:16 PM »
So you think withOUT wings it wouldn't roll?

Don't ... think ... so.

I think the idea is that they break off when they dig in.

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 02:06:05 PM »
modern-day version of the Titanic

Now there's a prophetic vision  :O

I think this guy is an artist and not an engineer.

Boeing has some designs on the board for a/c with integrated wings/fuselage, supposed to be more efficient because the fuselage is part of the lift.

But I think the reason that they haven't actually built something like that is that an a/c with a non-tubular fuselage would be problematic at current airport gates.  Not to mention that a cylinder with wings is probably cheaper to build.  AFAIK, nobody has even build a tapered fuselage since the Constellation.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 02:16:35 PM »
Imagine how long it would take to disembark 750 passengers from 3 stories of aircraft.  Ugh.  You'd need multiple jetways per plane.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2014, 02:28:05 PM »

Eh, wing thing isn't a big deal. I've worked with rotorcraft that had explosive bolts to remove stuff they wanted gone during a crash.  No biggie.

That said...  Near zero chance of it going into production. There's thousands of nifty aircraft that only fly on paper. Real world, there's a reason why all aircraft tend to look similar and usually boring.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2014, 02:36:11 PM »
This reminds me of a plane featured on an old TV series I enjoyed as a kid; "Thunderbirds."  It was a huge plane with multiple levels of cabins -- the wings were big enough alos to be occupied, and the cockpit was on top of the "T" type tail secion.  It was hypersonic and ejected the fuel tanks in emergencies, plus, even better, it was plagued with problems giving Gerry Anderson's International Rescue guys plenty of opportunities to rescue it. [tinfoil]

It was called the "Sky Flash,"  IIRC, which is a lot nicer sounding name than "Sky Whale," which makes me think of harpoons....for some reason.... :angel: [tinfoil] [tinfoil] >:D [popcorn] >:D :facepalm: :rofl:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2014, 03:09:13 PM »
Imagine how long it would take to disembark 750 passengers from 3 stories of aircraft.  Ugh.  You'd need multiple jetways per plane.

They already do that.

JD

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2014, 03:12:31 PM »
NASA/Boeing have the big delta lifting body/blended wing airliner designs that are actually aerodynamically worthy, scale models have flown. But even then such designs are problematic. The main reason all airliners are tube-n-wings is that maintaining cabin pressure in anything other than shapes as close as possible to tubes or spheres is structurally difficult, and requires lots of extra webs, struts, braces etc. and all sorts of extra stress risers and shear points for cycling fatigue to set in.

Composites might free us from this, but so far only a little. The A380 has a more ovoid cross-section etc.

I promise not to duck.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2014, 03:17:24 PM »
The craft matches advances in technology with a huge capacity of 755 passengers, making it economically viable for an airline.

Already lagging behind in capacity, and still on the drawing dream board. The A380 is certified for 853 people sardines in a single class configuration. Not that anyone is doing that......yet.

bob

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2014, 03:36:45 PM »
don't most airlines wanted smaller more efficient planes?  it's interesting in that it pretty much looks like a shark.  going with a time tested design!
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2014, 04:02:17 PM »
don't most airlines wanted smaller more efficient planes?  it's interesting in that it pretty much looks like a shark.  going with a time tested design!

At least it might be better to try making a smaller version first ....  :facepalm:

Seems like there would be a market for an efficient VTOL aircraft that could carry 50-100 victims passengers  =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2014, 04:31:54 PM »
Already lagging behind in capacity, and still on the drawing dream board. The A380 is certified for 853 people sardines in a single class configuration. Not that anyone is doing that......yet.

bob

You could get pretty much most of the legislative and executive branch on such a plane. =D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2014, 05:22:18 PM »
You could get pretty much most of the legislative and executive branch on such a plane. =D
modern-day version of the Titanic

One can only hope.  =D =D
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2014, 05:25:16 PM »
NASA/Boeing have the big delta lifting body/blended wing airliner designs that are actually aerodynamically worthy, scale models have flown. But even then such designs are problematic. The main reason all airliners are tube-n-wings is that maintaining cabin pressure in anything other than shapes as close as possible to tubes or spheres is structurally difficult, and requires lots of extra webs, struts, braces etc. and all sorts of extra stress risers and shear points for cycling fatigue to set in.

Composites might free us from this, but so far only a little. The A380 has a more ovoid cross-section etc.

This right here.

Puckers my behind a little bit to think about flying in a plane that is designed to separate from its wings.  They talk about doing that for safety reasons in the event of a crash, but I'd rather see perhaps selective ejection of the fuel tanks, rather than a link between the fuselage and wings that is deliberately designed to fail or be separated by exploding bolts.

That would most likely (IMHO) involve substantially increasing the weight of the acft, since the fuel tanks are generally a stressed structural member .
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2014, 07:22:56 PM »
Where the [expletive] are you going to find that many people at one time that want to go from Point A to Point B?  Especially when seated in Economy Class?

Back in the days of the great ocean liners they did not turn around within hours of docking.  I recall a few times when the QEII had been in port the whole time my dysfunctional family had touched base by rail in four European non-contiguous countries and then returned to Le Havre.  Plenty of time to accumulate enough bodies to fill up the berths.  It was also part of the grand adventure to travel from Point A to the embarkation port and play tourist for a day or more before finding out if you were suceptable to seasickness.  ("Skid, be a dear and take this weak tea and toast to Mrs. X's 13-year old) daughter.  And stay there and read to her for a while."  I was 14.  She apparently never upchucked her hormones.)

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2014, 08:20:18 PM »
Where the [expletive] are you going to find that many people at one time that want to go from Point A to Point B?  Especially when seated in Economy Class?

The annual migration to Mecca comes to mind.  ;)

bob

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2014, 09:15:30 PM »
Asia.  Little folks, and looooots of 'em.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2014, 10:01:46 PM »
Flew around the country quite a bit in airliners at one point. Had a few hairies.

Also flew around  locally in small private planes from time to time.

Rather fly in the small planes, where when the plane bounced around and dropped and did other funny things, you could glance at the pilot's knuckles to verify that all was well after all.

Much more comforting.

You could never assess the knuckle-state of the commercial pilots while the stewardi voiced soothing blandishments over the PA system.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 10:13:15 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2014, 10:28:52 PM »
You could never assess the knuckle-state of the commercial pilots while the stewardi voiced soothing blandishments over the PA system.

We are asleep.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2014, 10:56:15 AM »
I don't even like trains, where you can't see what's in front of you.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2014, 04:46:52 AM »
We are asleep.

I thought you were a pilot, not an engineer.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2014, 08:09:58 AM »
I thought you were a pilot, not an engineer.

Close enough.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?