Author Topic: Creepy Zombie Game: DayZ  (Read 2187 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Creepy Zombie Game: DayZ
« on: January 22, 2014, 09:41:33 PM »
http://www.fastcompany.com/3025201/most-creative-people/dayz-a-murder-simulator-psychology-study-and-zombie-game-tests-your-emo

You only have 1 life in the game.  No ultraninjasurvivability.  Once your toon dies, you're done.

Supposedly it's bringing out unusual psychology in regular gamers.

"There are a lot of films I’ve watched that really moved me, like The Road, the film adaptation [of Cormac McCarthy's novel]," says Hall. "Some of these films can be really powerful, and sometimes make you angry. Whereas I feel like videogames, a lot of the time have been always about being fun. A lot of people didn’t take them that seriously from other media because it’s all just fun--click the little thing, jump around and do this. Whereas I wanted to see a videogame explore areas like loss and fear and anger."

Cool.  Makes me want to download/buy it, see what it's about.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

cordex

• Administrator
Re: Creepy Zombie Game: DayZ
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 10:16:26 PM »
I played it some early in its development as a mod but haven't seen the current version. I never found a friendly human character. Every single one I met either killed me or tried and forced me to gun them down. Got to be where I crept around in the woods away from any populated area looking for shacks and hunting blinds that spawn supplies. Ammo was mid-2013 scarce, zombies run toward gunfire so it was easy to get overwhelmed by NPCs even when trying to avoid humans. At some point the crawling from tree to tree trying to find a can of beans so I wouldn't starve got to be tedious.

Would be a lot of fun playing with people I knew wouldn't shoot me as soon as I turned around, though.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 10:23:50 AM »
I really like the game, been playing the standalone, but it's tough to play if you don't have a PC that's up to snuff with the graphics.
Also, it's still in Alpha, so it's very buggy.

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 10:56:21 AM »
There is still 6 hours to get it for ultra cheap through Humble Bundle.  =D
https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 12:58:33 PM »
The Arma II DayZ mod is on the bundle, but the newer standalone DayZ game that will be actively developed going forward is a separate game, not in the bundle. I've heard good things about the mod, been tempted to try the standalone as well.

Currently playing Rust, another early-access game that currently has zombies though apparently they'll be going away and the game will focus more on the survival / building aspect.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 02:59:00 PM »
I decided a long time ago I would stop buying games I was sure didn't have cheats.  I don't have hours to replay the same stuff over and over again in normal mode.  I think Tie Fighter was the last game I completed in normal or hard without cheating and that was a while back. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 03:26:56 PM »
I've been playing the standalone a lot. Lots of good times. One of the few games where I have actually jumped from being startled, since you only have the one life you can end up creeping around hoping that you don't come across someone else camping an area. Can also lead to a lot of weird encounters. There are a lot of great videos on YouTube. Here is a pretty good series, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fULZmP5xqPo Word of advice if you decide to play, don't get to attached to a character, many deaths. And like Jamis Jockey said, it's in its Alpha stage so it still has many bugs.

MechAg94, It's not a single player game, but a large open world game with up to 40 players at once.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2014, 09:41:57 PM »
Just bought the standalone for me and the wife. She's at work tonight though, so I'll be giving it a go by my lonesome!

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2014, 11:59:00 AM »
I bought it this weekend and played a little.  Spent most of the time remapping controls, then 3 times managed to run into a zombie I couldn't get away from before I found any kind of item.  Ended up punching the zombie's into submission, then shortly thereafter succumbing to my wounds   =D

Neemi

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2014, 12:46:14 PM »
I didn't have any problems outrunning zombies, but the other players were another story. This game definitely brings out a seriously dark side to most players.

Tried to outrun one pack of other players who just kept beating my character for no reason. That didn't work too well. Another group shot my character because I didn't know how to follow their orders fast enough.

I'm amazed at how fear of death in a game affects people.

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2014, 01:43:16 PM »
I didn't have any problems outrunning zombies, but the other players were another story.

Don't forget the ones that ran after you yelling in Russian, and the only English word they seemed to know was "Rape!"