Author Topic: To the moon, Alice!  (Read 1617 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
To the moon, Alice!
« on: February 03, 2014, 04:52:08 PM »
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/10614953/US-ready-to-return-to-moon.html

Yay, we're sending robots to the moon.

I really think the moon is a dead end as far as manned space exploration is concerned.  The only exception I might grant is mining it for water and breaking that to H2/O2.  Then using a portion of that fuel to lift a container to lunar orbit so it can refuel other craft, and then de-orbiting the empty fuel transport for refueling at the surface.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Re: To the moon, Alice!
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 06:22:21 PM »
IMO, I was with you up until recently that the Moon might get bypassed in large, in favor of Asteroids or whatnot.

However I think the ability to work and "stand on something" may show limits to what can be done in zero g, where every torque and push has to be counter-thrusted, whether you're human or robot. And unless we go big on centrifugal force spinning habitats, the long term medical effects of microgravity are beginning to pile up by the month after each new study. 1/6th might be enough to make a difference vs. zero.

Then there's also the issue of shielding from CME's. Digging a hole into the Moon is relatively easy. You can get behind an asteroid, but if you want a permanent inhabited structure in space, you have to shield it and at some point, trucking the shielding to where you want that structure to be, might just not outweigh going where the shielding is instead.

You can also make "spin cities" on planetary bodies that have less than 1 Earth Gravity where the city or settlement is like a large shallow cone with tilted buildings and streets where the "gravity" is a thrust vector combined of both the natural gravity, and the angular momentum from the rotation. Like making a constant bank turn in an airplane. And keep it all shielded underground from radiation...

It's proximity to Earth, reasonably low delta-V for liftoff (as compared to Earth) no atmosphere to force wasteful aerodynamic shapes and mass-fraction penalties onto ships, proximity to the L1-5 Liberation Points, an environment that otherwise has the potential industrial benefits of the vacuum of space, but somewhere for men and machines to walk, stand, roll, crawl etc.  might mean the Moon becomes a big hub for manufacturing, processing, and housing humans that don't want to go all the way down the well...

First maxim of real-estate, location, location, location. 

Also, there's been LOTS of "useless land" in history that we didn't figure out what it was good for until much later. Or ideas, procedures or industries we won't figure out until we're there.

I definitely agree we don't need to be "moon fixated" just because it's "there" and a superficially logical next step, but we should keep an open mind and go wherever the economics, the energy, and the resources dictate.
I promise not to duck.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 07:36:39 PM »
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/10614953/US-ready-to-return-to-moon.html

Yay, we're sending robots to the moon.

I really think the moon is a dead end as far as manned space exploration is concerned.  The only exception I might grant is mining it for water and breaking that to H2/O2.  Then using a portion of that fuel to lift a container to lunar orbit so it can refuel other craft, and then de-orbiting the empty fuel transport for refueling at the surface.

Will it kick that Chinese rover in the butt, just to show who's boss in space?
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 08:58:43 PM »
Will it kick that Chinese rover in the butt, just to show who's boss in space?

That Chinese rover needs a kick in the butt considering it broke and won't move anymore.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 10:56:18 PM »
That Chinese rover needs a kick in the butt considering it broke and won't move anymore.

China is sending parts... might take awhile to get there though.
I promise not to duck.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 08:42:42 AM »
However I think the ability to work and "stand on something" may show limits to what can be done in zero g, where every torque and push has to be counter-thrusted, whether you're human or robot. And unless we go big on centrifugal force spinning habitats, the long term medical effects of microgravity are beginning to pile up by the month after each new study. 1/6th might be enough to make a difference vs. zero.

Another thing to consider is that while we're still working on materials strong enough for a skyhook on earth, it's within reach today for the moon.  It's easy to get off the moon compared to the Earth.  Lower gravity and no atmosphere?  Easy peasy.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 11:21:52 AM »
I suppose that the moon would be a good place to send political prisoners.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 11:47:08 AM »
I suppose that the moon would be a good place to send political prisonerspoliticians.

FTFY
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2014, 06:36:42 PM »
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2