Author Topic: It Ain't Over 'til the Fat Lady Sings  (Read 2378 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
It Ain't Over 'til the Fat Lady Sings
« on: November 12, 2009, 04:09:06 PM »
OK so it's probably not going to swing back to Hoffman's favor but it ain't over, yet.

New York 23 is still being counted and Hoffman is gaining.
Wouldn't it be sweet if Owens actually loses?

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2009/11/its_not_over_recanvassing_shows_ny23_race.html

Washington -- Conservative Doug Hoffman conceded the race in the 23rd Congressional District last week after receiving two pieces of grim news for his campaign: He was down 5,335 votes with 93 percent of the vote counted on election night, and he had barely won his stronghold in Oswego County.

As it turns out, neither was true.

But Hoffman’s concession -- based on snafus in Oswego County and elsewhere that left his vote undercounted -- set off a chain of events that echoed all the way to Washington, D.C., and helped secure passage of a historic health care reform bill.

Democratic Rep. Bill Owens was quickly sworn into office on Friday, a day before the rare weekend vote in the House of Representatives. His support sealed his party’s narrow victory on the health care legislation.

Now a recanvassing in the 11-county district shows that Owens’ lead has narrowed to 3,026 votes over Hoffman, 66,698 to 63,672, according to the latest unofficial results from the state Board of Elections.

In Oswego County, where Hoffman was reported to lead by only 500 votes with 93 percent of the vote counted election night, inspectors found Hoffman actually won by 1,748 votes -- 12,748 to 11,000.

The new vote totals mean the race will be decided by absentee ballots, of which about 10,200 were distributed, said John Conklin, communications director for the state Board of Elections....
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: It Ain't Over 'til the Fat Lady Sings
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 04:11:49 PM »
Why am I not in the least bit surprised? Democratic hanky-panky in an election? Say it ain't so...  :mad:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 04:25:09 PM »
Conservative Doug Hoffman conceded the race in the 23rd Congressional District last week

Stupid PartyTM

You never see democrats conceding close races.  They count, and recount, and recount... until they smuggle enough ballots in to win.

I'm not endorsing ballot box stuffing at all... but nothing is wrong with holding off on concession speeches when all the votes aren't counted.  It might have staved off the House vote on health care for a little longer.  After all... wouldn't the GOP appreciate that as at least a semi-beneficial goal?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 04:27:16 PM »
The new vote totals mean the race will be decided by absentee ballots, of which about 10,200 were distributed, said John Conklin, communications director for the state Board of Elections....

Odds are that most of those absentee ballots were mailed in before whats-her-name withdrew from the race.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 07:34:29 PM »
Stupid PartyTM.  

You never see democrats conceding close races.  They count, and recount, and recount... until they smuggle enough ballots in to win.

I'm not endorsing ballot box stuffing at all... but nothing is wrong with holding off on concession speeches when all the votes aren't counted.  It might have staved off the House vote on health care for a little longer.  After all... wouldn't the GOP appreciate that as at least a semi-beneficial goal?
Hoffman isn't a member of the Stupid Party.

Anyway, despite the concession, the election results are not formally certified by the state and so the race is technically still on.  If it turns out Hoffman has more votes then he'll end up in congress.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 11:42:05 PM by Headless Thompson Gunner »

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 10:24:34 PM »
Hoffman isn't a member of the Stupid Party.

Hoffman did seek Stupid PartyTM endorsement, but the party patricians chose Scozzafava; Hoffman didn't like that, so he ran as a third party candidate.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2009, 11:41:42 PM »
Yup, the local party chairman picked the wrong dude.

Hopefully the local party members will see to it that this is the last mistake he makes as party chairman.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2009, 02:04:51 PM »
The guy in Minnesota didn't concede. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2009, 02:12:55 PM »
Question:

Let's say that it does shift back towards Hoffman.  Owens is already sworn in.  If he doesn't resign, what happens? Can they throw him out?  If it's the house that would have to do the throwing, will they?  NY 23rd can't have two reps at the same time.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2009, 02:20:06 PM »
Question:

Let's say that it does shift back towards Hoffman.  Owens is already sworn in.  If he doesn't resign, what happens? Can they throw him out?  If it's the house that would have to do the throwing, will they?  NY 23rd can't have two reps at the same time.

Civil War.  New York invades DC. >:D
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2009, 03:33:17 PM »
It is my understadning that New York has not certified the results yet. If in fact Hoffman does come out on top I expect it to end up in the courts for a long time.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2009, 03:47:36 PM »
Civil War.  New York invades DC. >:D

Cool, it'll be pitchforks, because neither side has guns.