Author Topic: High Court Rejects Challenge to NRA’s Signature Law  (Read 2499 times)

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
High Court Rejects Challenge to NRA’s Signature Law
« on: December 20, 2009, 12:35:22 PM »

http://townhall.com/columnists/KenKlukowski/2009/12/18/high_court_rejects_challenge_to_nra%E2%80%99s_signature_law

Ken Klukowski
Friday, December 18, 2009

In 2005, the National Rifle Association of America enacted a law that probably saved the American gun-making industry from bankruptcy. And just this last week, the Supreme Court rejected a constitutional challenge to this landmark legislation, ensuring this law stays on the books to preserve America’s culture of lawful firearm ownership.

For years, opponents of the Second Amendment sought to eliminate gun rights by eliminating guns. Anti-gun groups, working with big-city mayors like Michael Bloomberg of New York City, devised a scheme to rid America of firearms.

They filed product liability suits, alleging that firearm manufacturers should be held liable for any injury caused by a firearm. And not just a gun made by that particular gun-maker; the suits go after every gun-maker for every gun injury.

This approach was based on the legal strategy used against Big Tobacco. It’s a liberal theory called market-share liability. Because smokers use cigarettes of different brands, a person who gets lung cancer after twenty years of smoking isn’t sure how much of that cancer is traced to any particular tobacco company.

So the courts adopted a theory from the infamous Clinton-Reno-Holder Justice Department, saying that every tobacco company should be held liable for whatever percentage of cigarettes they sell in the market. So for example, if Camel accounts for 30% of all cigarettes sold, then Camel is liable for 30% of the damages in any injury lawsuit.

The gun-grabbers pushed the same theory here. They said that gun makers should be held liable for any injury, and that because it’s often unknown what gun model caused an injury (if the firearm is never recovered), then every gun-maker must pay according to how many guns they sell in this country.

Holding gun-makers liable for the actions of criminals is absurd. That’s like holding Bic accountable for arsonists, or Buick for drunk-driving crashes, or Craftsman for an assault perpetrated with a hammer.

A gun is a tool like any of these other items. If properly made and lawfully sold, there should be no liability.

But these anti-gun fanatics, with the help of the Brady Center, almost succeeded. They brought nationwide suits in the most anti-gun jurisdictions in the nation, and were heading towards a massive judgment what would have driven gun-makers into bankruptcy. Along the way, legal costs for gun makers had already mounted into the hundreds of millions of dollars, putting all those companies on the ropes.

In response, the NRA made stopping these predatory lawsuits its top legislative priority. Every anti-gun Democrat, to please their trial-lawyer bosses, worked furiously to stop the bill, and succeeded for years.

But 2002 and 2004 saw historic victories for pro-gun candidates, mostly Republicans. Consequently, the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act was finally passed and signed into law in 2005 to stop these junk lawsuits.

Anti-gun forces immediately pressed their court cases, arguing that the new law didn’t apply to current cases, despite the fact that the law was explicitly retroactive to cover all lawsuits. They only found one New York federal judge willing to go along with them, who was promptly reversed on appeal to the Second Circuit.

The only way left to stop this law from fulfilling its promise to keep America’s firearm heritage alive was to have it struck down as unconstitutional.

Predictably, that’s exactly what anti-gun forces tried to do next. Alleging one ridiculous theory after another about how this federal law violated the U.S. Constitution, three lawsuits were pushed all the way through the legal system to the U.S. Supreme Court. In March of 2009, the Court refused to grant certiorari to review Lawson v. Beretta and City of New York v. Beretta (the latter being the pet-project of the rabidly anti-gun Mike Bloomberg).

And last week on Dec. 14, the Supreme Court rejected what will hopefully be the last such ridiculous suit, Adames v. Beretta.

The right to bear arms is essential to liberty itself. It’s an insurance policy, enshrined in the Second Amendment of our Constitution to make sure America would always remain the Land of the Free.

For 138 years, the National Rifle Association has fought to protect this right for future generations. This 2005 tort-reform law is one of the NRA’s greatest achievements in protecting our Second Amendment rights.

They’re doubtless celebrating this victory at NRA headquarters, as well they should. And it’s welcome news for all of us who are among America’s 90 million gun owners.

Merry Christmas, firearm owners. Don’t forget to thank the NRA for this long-awaited Christmas present.

Copyright © 2009 Salem Web Network. All Rights Reserved.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Bigjake

• friend
Re: High Court Rejects Challenge to NRA’s Signature Law
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 12:55:22 PM »

In 2005,  the National Rifle Association of America enacted a law that probably saved the American gun-making industry from bankruptcy. And just this last week, the Supreme Court rejected a constitutional challenge to this landmark legislation, ensuring this law stays on the books to preserve America’s culture of lawful firearm ownership.

I stopped there.

If  they first sentence is that wrong, I can kill brain cells far easier with rum than reading the rest of that article.

stuckonpolitics

• Stuck on Politics: Decals for Rightwing Extremists.
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 12:56:41 PM »
It really bothers me that they are saying that the NRA "enacted" a law.  I know what they mean, but words mean things.

Its good that it looks like all of the challenges to this law are over, though.
Stuck on Politics: Decals for Rightwing Extremists.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 01:04:46 PM »

I stopped there.

If  they first sentence is that wrong, I can kill brain cells far easier with rum than reading the rest of that article.

I found the wording odd also but the substance of the article is true for all practical purposes. The NRA was all over this and helped make it happen.

I wonder how many brain cells your poor grammar or typo caused me?   ;/

Your snark FAILS due to poor execution. Please report to a different thread where your limited amount of brain cells isn't in danger.

(Thats how snark is done)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 01:09:54 PM by Ron »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009, 02:23:38 PM »
Snap!  Still a good catch by Jake, though.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2009, 04:32:37 PM »

My memory is a bit fuzzy, but didn't most of these product liability lawsuits fail?  I know the point was terror tactics and sucking away money from the firearm manufacturers. 

Granted, the law was welcome.  A bit of friggin common sense, which is quiet rare these days.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2009, 05:01:15 PM »
Didn't Ron Paul vote against this bill?   
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2009, 06:04:49 PM »
No need for a snark fight.  Don't make me close this thread.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

zahc

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2009, 06:55:34 PM »
Doesn't Ron Paul basically vote "no" for everything?
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2009, 07:10:36 PM »
I found the wording odd also but the substance of the article is true for all practical purposes. The NRA was all over this and helped make it happen.

I wonder how many brain cells your poor grammar or typo caused me?   ;/

Your snark FAILS due to poor execution. Please report to a different thread where your limited amount of brain cells isn't in danger.

(Thats how snark is done)

None taken  ;/

You know exactly what I was going for, but decided to go after the low hanging fruit.  Whatever works for you...

I can only type so well with the tiny leetle keyboard on an Eee PC, while missing one fingertip.  But don't let that stop you.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2009, 07:57:29 PM »
My memory is a bit fuzzy, but didn't most of these product liability lawsuits fail?

Many did; many didn't; unfortunately, defending a firearms manufacturer against even a single baseless suit was a prohibitively expensive proposition, and there were many, many law suits.

The worst of it was the commoners' tax dollars were used to fund many of the suits.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2009, 10:48:53 PM »
None taken  ;/

You know exactly what I was going for, but decided to go after the low hanging fruit.  Whatever works for you...

I can only type so well with the tiny leetle keyboard on an Eee PC, while missing one fingertip.  But don't let that stop you.

sorry, I was just being snarky

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2009, 01:08:15 PM »
Snark ensues, hilarity doesn't.

Anti-gun lawsuits significantly diminished, whether the NRA enacted it or those who actually make law.

Can't help with the poor grammar thing, though.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"