Author Topic: BLM fails at seizing cattle in Nevada so goes after farmland in Texas  (Read 7132 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Posted this in the BLM/Nevada "Could Get Interesting" thread, but thought it important enough to have it's own separate entry.

Given the public relations butt-kicking BLM just received in Nevada, it's going to be interesting to see what happens in Texas.  They're trying to redraw property boundaries in a way that will effectively seize about 90k acres of ranch and farmland properties along the Red River (Texas/Oklahoma border).

http://www.rfdtv.com/story/25206377/oklahoma-texas-border-dispute-has-ranchers-worried

These shenanigans are happening in Vernon, about 30 miles from my home town of Crowell.  Only in this case it's not a lone state's-rights semi-minuteman who's already had several days in court and lost, it's a bunch of everyday upstanding community members with lots of close friend, a tight-knit ag community, and a very, very, very supportive local population of several tens of thousands.

Brad
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 06:44:43 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: BLM fails at seizing cattle in Nevada so goes after farmland in Texas
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 07:15:15 PM »
what happened in the lawsuit henderson lost?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 10:23:54 PM »
what happened in the lawsuit henderson lost?

The government said they could do what ever they damned well please and he could just shut the hell up about it.
I'm sure you're ok with that though.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 02:35:44 AM »
What's that old saying? Oh, yeah ...

"I love my country but I fear my government."

You'd think they (the government, in general) would learn. Anybody remember the Kelo case in New London, Connecticut? That was the one that went all the way to the Supreme Court, and none other than Chief Justice Roberts cast the deciding vote that a government (in that case the city) could take property by eminent domain and then turn it over to a private, for-profit developer. The so-called logic behind this was that taking the land for use as something that would generate more tax income made it a taking for public purposes.

I saw an article a few weeks ago on Kelo. Turns out the developer backed out of the deal, so the city of New London spent a lot on money on lawyers, tore down an historic neighborhood, and they now have a bunch of empty land that's generating zero tax revenues.

Karma is a female dog.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 09:07:14 PM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 09:15:13 AM »
I think the Kelo case pre-dates Roberts appointment by a short time. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

erictank

• friends
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 09:34:37 AM »
Which Justice was it that had property taken under Kelo? Souter?

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 10:07:51 AM »
I think the Kelo case pre-dates Roberts appointment by a short time.

Yup, it was under Rehnquist, who was one of the 4 (IIRC) dissenters.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 11:11:51 AM »
Yup, it was under Rehnquist, who was one of the 4 (IIRC) dissenters.

According to wiki the majority consisted of "Justice Stevens who wrote the majority opinion, joined by Justices Anthony Kennedy, David Souter, Ruth Bader Ginsburg and Stephen Breyer."

"The principal dissent was issued on 25 June 2005 by Justice O'Connor, joined by Chief Justice Rehnquist and Justices Scalia and Thomas."
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2014, 11:16:49 AM »
According to wiki the majority consisted of "Justice Stevens who wrote the majority opinion, joined by Justices Anthony Kennedy, David Souter, Ruth Bader Ginsburg and Stephen Breyer."

"The principal dissent was issued on 25 June 2005 by Justice O'Connor, joined by Chief Justice Rehnquist and Justices Scalia and Thomas."

Damn swing vote Kennedy.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2014, 12:00:47 PM »
The government said they could do what ever they damned well please and he could just shut the hell up about it.
I'm sure you're ok with that though.

He'd prefer that there be a good ole fashioned no-knock followed by some beatings and dog shootings.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2014, 12:59:37 PM »
What's that old saying? Oh, yeah ...

"I love my country but I fear my government."

You'd think they (the government, in general) would learn. Anybody remember the Kelo case in New London, Connecticut? That was the one that went all the way to the Supreme Court, and none other than Chief Justice Roberts cast the deciding vote that a government (in that case the ity) could take property by eminent domain and then turn it over to a private, for-profit developer. The so-called logic behind this was that taking the land for use as something that would generate more tax income made it a taking for public purposes.

I saw an article a few weeks ago on Kelo. Turns out the developer backed out of the deal, so the city of New London spent a lot on money on lawyers, tore down an historic neighborhood, and they now have a bunch of empty land that's generating zero tax revenues.

Karma is a female dog.

People should remember that next time someone says "ZOMG! We gotta vote for a Repub or the Dems will appoint a liberal!!!!!!eleventy!!!!!!
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2014, 01:05:55 PM »
People should remember that next time someone says "ZOMG! We gotta vote for a Repub or the Dems will appoint a liberal!!!!!!eleventy!!!!!!

If you'd have read a bit further in this thread you'd have seen it was before Roberts' time. Although I find it unforgivable to twist the law as he did to find Obamacare unconstitutional, it was Kennedy who cast the deciding vote on Kelo.

Who, I will note, was appointed by Ronald Reagan.

Which, of course, leads me to ask- how come only Republicans get tricked by their picks, but Democrat picks ALWAYS stay true to the left-wing?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2014, 01:15:20 PM »
If you'd have read a bit further in this thread you'd have seen it was before Roberts' time. Although I find it unforgivable to twist the law as he did to find Obamacare unconstitutional, it was Kennedy who cast the deciding vote on Kelo.

Which, of course, leads me to ask- how come only Republicans get tricked by their picks, but Democrat picks ALWAYS stay true to the left-wing?

Thanks for the correction. And it is indeed troubling that a Reagan appointee was a turncoat to the the Constitution.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2014, 01:32:09 PM »

DC is a ratchet that only tightens to the left.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2014, 01:39:46 PM »
DC is a ratchet that only tightens to the left.

Unfortunately, corruption is bipartisan.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2014, 04:03:34 PM »
Unfortunately, corruption is bipartisan.

Oh, absolutely. But I don't know that the Supremes are becoming corrupt, just more and more statist.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2014, 04:46:22 PM »
Oh, absolutely. But I don't know that the Supremes are becoming corrupt, just more and more statist.

When were they ever not statists? Marshall et al set the tone with horrific decisions early on.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2014, 09:09:09 PM »

Okay, it wasn't Roberts. Imagine that -- fallible memory.

Sorry, folks. But the name of the Chief Justice wasn't the point of mentioning Kelo. The point was that the .gov is not immune to shooting itself in the collective foot.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2014, 10:18:54 PM »
Okay, it wasn't Roberts. Imagine that -- fallible memory.

Sorry, folks. But the name of the Chief Justice wasn't the point of mentioning Kelo. The point was that the .gov is not immune to shooting itself in the collective foot.

We are indeed doomed.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2014, 12:41:03 AM »

just for once I would like to see a centrist go all right wing extremist
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2014, 09:48:29 AM »
Story has gone mainstream media, only this time the BLM isn't facing a couple hundred pissed of ranchers in the middle of nowhere.  Now they have the State of Texas officially giving them the stinkeye.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/04/22/republicans-warn-blm-eyeing-land-grab-along-texas-oklahoma-border/

Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott's letter to the BLM.  Summary (paraphrased)... "Legally justify your position or STFU and GTFO."
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/interactive/2014/04/22/greg-abbott-letter-to-bureau-land-management/

Couple of folks I know in polittikul inner circles are hinting that Gov Perry is quietly putting together a Thor's Hammer solution should the BLM try to muscle this thing forward.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2014, 10:06:00 AM »
The federal .gov can't adequately manage the land it already lays claim to. They should not be even considering appropriating more.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2014, 10:06:08 AM »
Story has gone mainstream media, only this time the BLM isn't facing a couple hundred pissed of ranchers in the middle of nowhere.  Now they have the State of Texas officially giving them the stinkeye.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/04/22/republicans-warn-blm-eyeing-land-grab-along-texas-oklahoma-border/

Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott's letter to the BLM.  Summary (paraphrased)... "Legally justify your position or STFU and GTFO."
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/interactive/2014/04/22/greg-abbott-letter-to-bureau-land-management/

Couple of folks I know in polittikul inner circles are hinting that Gov Perry is quietly putting together a Thor's Hammer solution should the BLM try to muscle this thing forward.

Brad

He ought to give him the same treatment he gives coyotes.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re:
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2014, 10:08:10 AM »
Great letter from ag. Can anybody find the case the one rancher lost 30 years ago? It would be interesting to see what happened and what the arguments used were

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2014, 10:45:37 AM »

My google-fu doesn't immediately answer the question, so I must ask: What's Thor's Hammer Solution?

(And, although a device like the Stargate Thor's Hammer that scans all entrants into Texas and keeps out government bureaucrats would be great... I don't think that's what you're referring to.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought