Author Topic: I KNEW there was a reason I liked Curry...  (Read 968 times)

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
I KNEW there was a reason I liked Curry...
« on: August 07, 2006, 07:24:40 AM »
Popular curry spice is a brain booster
04 August 2006
From New Scientist Print Edition. Subscribe and get 4 free issues.

Call it yellow ginger, haldi, turmeric or E100, the yellow root of Curcuma longa, a staple ingredient in curry, is turning out to be gratifyingly healthful. Now Tze-Pin Ng and colleagues at the National University of Singapore have discovered that curry eating seems to boost brain power in elderly people.

Curcumin, a constituent of turmeric, is an antioxidant, and reports have suggested that it inhibits the build-up of amyloid plaques in people with Alzheimer's. Ng's team looked at the curry-eating habits of 1010 Asian people unaffected by Alzheimer's and aged between 60 and 93, and compared their performance in a standard test of cognitive function, the Mini Mental State Examination. Those people who consumed curry "occasionally" (once or more in 6 months but less than once a month) and "often" (more than once a month) had better MMSE results than those who only ate curry "never or rarely" (American Journal of Epidemiology, DOI: 10.1093/aje/kwj267).

"What is remarkable is that apparently one needs only to consume curry once in a while for the better cognitive performance to be evidenced," says Ng, who says he wants to confirm the results, possibly in a controlled clinical trial comparing curcumin and a placebo.

Source: http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg19125635.500-popular-curry-spice-is-a-brain-booster.html
Time to fix me up a batch of Shrimp Vindaloo Smiley
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2006, 07:30:53 AM »
I've always wanted to try Curry...
Man I miss that quick reply box.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Preacherman

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2006, 09:26:05 AM »
But how will he make placebo curry?
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional!

Please visit my blog: http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/

grampster

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2006, 11:36:32 AM »
I thought he meant Ann Curry from morning TV.  cheesy
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2006, 11:38:56 AM »
Me too... Cheesy

I just had some Chicken with Green Curry and Basil at the local Thai resturant. YUM YUM!! Smiley
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Iain

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2006, 12:10:14 PM »
mbs357 - there are some good recipes out there on the internet that will give you a good approximation or better.

I've been aware of turmeric as the latest 'wonder food' for a while, along with fish oils. To achieve therapeutic doses though I'd end up bright yellow and smelling like a trawler.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2006, 01:14:34 PM »
Good idea, Iain, I'll give it a shot.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.