Author Topic: Guns don't kill people, hoodies do!  (Read 4022 times)

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
Guns don't kill people, hoodies do!
« on: March 31, 2008, 07:43:55 AM »
http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/39622/Ban-the-hood-for-good

Britain was mourning the latest innocent victims of violent crime last week after a spate of senseless murders.

In every case, the killers sullen face was hidden beneath the disguise of feral society  the hooded top.

Across the country, violence, vandalism, theft and disorder are an everyday menace, created by faceless gangs of youths with little fear of ever being caught.

Streets, trains, buses and shopping centres have become no-go zones for terrified citizens who have been intimidated by hoodies for too long.

The latest victim, just 14, was set upon yards from his home on Thursday night and fatally stabbed in the throat by a baying mob of hooded thugs.

Today the Sunday Express calls for a crackdown on this terrifying trend and demands that police officers get tough and order hoods to be removed in public places.

Just as banks ban people from wearing crash helmets on their premises, we believe high streets and public transport would be safer if hoods were outlawed and exclusion zones imposed.

Without the invisibility they provide, killers, muggers and shoplifters would be made to think twice before carrying out their crime.

The risk of being caught for even an instant on CCTV footage would dissuade scores of criminals and reduce soaring crime rates.

This newspaper wants local authorities, public transport providers, shopping centres and stores to ban the hood and introduce areas where decent people can walk or travel freely without fear of being attacked.

Last night the distraught parents of 11-year-old Rhys Jones, gunned down in cold blood by a hoodie, gave their full support to our campaign to Ban The Hood For Good.

Police have video footage of their sons teenage killer but no arrests have been made because his face is covered by a sports hood.

Rhyss father Stephen, 44, said: I am giving my support to the Sunday Express campaign. I wish it well, both for my sons sake and for the sake of victims of crime in general.

Any initiative to give the police a better chance of identification has my backing. Hoodies are a definite problem because they introduce a fear of the unknown.

We cant see the faces of the youngsters, and we dont know who they are. For that reason they come across as a menace, even though in fact they may not be suspicious.

Stephens Everton-mad son was on his way back from football practice in Croxteth Park, Liverpool, on August 22 last year when he was struck in the neck by a bullet from a revolver held by a hoodie on a BMX bike.

Detectives are certain Rhys was caught in the crossfire as the gun-toting teenager fired across the car park of the Fir Tree pub towards members of a rival gang on the other side.

CCTV footage of the suspect broadcast on BBCs Crimewatch shows a hooded youngster in a black tracksuit cycling near the Fir Tree moments before and after Rhys was shot. His face is obscured, however.

Mr Jones added: Anything that gives the police a better chance of identifying criminals is a good thing.

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: Guns don't kill people, hoodies do!
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 08:39:53 AM »
That's funny. I wear a hoodie when it's cold and wet and miserable out, which it is quite often in the UK!

Maybe I should send a comment to the paper from America, saying that I wear a hoodie AND carry a gun under it, but am not a criminal.  grin

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 08:40:40 AM »
I'm wearing a hoodie right now, but San Diego county says I can't carry a gun under it.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 08:43:23 AM »
"Without the invisibility they provide, killers, muggers and shoplifters would be made to think twice before carrying out their crime."

Uh-huh. Sure. rolleyes
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 08:44:55 AM »
Wait, my hoodie makes me invisible?  Holy crap, that's awesome!

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 08:53:26 AM »
There's a dress code for packing a pistol in Saint Jimmy County? shocked
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 08:54:35 AM »
Wait, my hoodie makes me invisible?  Holy crap, that's awesome!

This one from engrish.com's store does.

http://www.engrish.com

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2008, 08:56:39 AM »
heh, I"m not only wearing a hoodie, but I wore the hood up several times today getting around in the rain.  Didn't realize it made me a mastermind of evil. 

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

Iain

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2008, 09:45:33 AM »
Opinion columns. Many of the comments are derogatory of both the column and the paper.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2008, 01:40:17 PM »

Mr Jones added: Anything that gives the police a better chance of identifying criminals is a good thing.

So, do we go with the yellow armband with a bar code, or the serial number tattooed on the forehead?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2008, 01:50:34 PM »
So this isn't the Onion?  What about the object that stabbed the kid in the throat or shot the other one? Oh wait, they're already banned.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2008, 02:39:17 PM »
Today the Sunday Express calls for a crackdown on this terrifying trend
Damn, people. Hooded sweatshirts are not a 'terrifying trend.'

[the newspaper] ...demands that police officers get tough and order hoods to be removed in public places.
So cops in the UK can make up laws as they go along?

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2008, 03:37:53 PM »
I have been wearing one at work to carry the 642.
I drive a cab and keep my left hand on it when suspicious folks
hop in.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2008, 03:57:00 PM »
I thought that Britain was such a safe place now because they banned firearms?   rolleyes
I wonder how long until you have to wear spandex.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2008, 04:17:56 PM »
I had heard about "hoodie" problems a while ago. I thought it was interesting. I've seen American criminals using the hood to protect their identity. Wearing a "hoodie" has started to carry a negative image; sort of a criminal/hooligan/gangster/chav. Never mind that lots of people who wear "hoodies" don't wear them with criminal intent.

If you associate clothing with criminal activity, does that mean we need to start profiling people who wear business suits for "white collar" crimes? How about profiling people for dressing like a prostitute?

And since different types of criminals wear different clothing styles, will we end up banning all clothing? Will we all be wearing jumpsuits for our own safety?

Unreal. It's almost funny.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2008, 03:39:21 AM »
. . . I wonder how long until you have to wear spandex.
Until they have visits from Oprah, Rosie O'Donnel, and Roseanne Barr . . . then spandex will be banned, too.  shocked
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2008, 03:40:44 AM »
If they want to ban an article of clothing associated with criminals in the UK, it ought to be Burberry caps.

As for terrifying trends, keep in mind that this is the UK, where they shut down an entire street because someone found a single .22 short round lying in a doorway crack on the sidewalk. As an official said, "It could go off".  cheesy

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2008, 02:02:53 PM »
. . . I wonder how long until you have to wear spandex.
Until they have visits from Oprah, Rosie O'Donnel, and Roseanne Barr . . . then spandex will be banned, too.  shocked
Where's that barf-smiley when you need it? undecided

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2008, 02:04:30 PM »