Author Topic: Film director Ingmar Bergman died today...  (Read 4850 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Film director Ingmar Bergman died today...
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2007, 11:59:42 AM »
Yep.

Critics.

There's a reason they're critics.

They've failed at everything else because they lack vision and judgement.

But god knows they can get jobs with any major media outlet.  rolleyes

Oh, and let's not forget who John Podhoretz is...
Nice ad hominem.

If you engaged the substance, this might be an interesting thread.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

HankB

• friend
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2007, 12:04:45 PM »
Comparing Bergman to Michelangelo and DaVinci as the creator of a cultural icon?!? . . . shocked

Surely this is a harbinger of the End Times . . .

Sometimes people (and their work) are parodied because they're so bad.

Hmmm . . . if being parodied is what it takes to become a cultural icon, then Matt Groening's work stands shoulder to shoulder with Bergman's.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2007, 02:04:46 PM »

Bill Walsh died the same day as Bergman.

Guess which obit got more attention in the San Francisco area.   smiley

-Jack
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2007, 02:22:36 PM »
Saying that if you don't worship the obvious genius of one writer/director/painter/sculptor etc etc etc then you must be an ignorant wretch is not, I repeat not, the sign of a deeply cultured and mature man; it is the sign of a fanboy. I laugh when Trekkies do it with Roddenbery, I laugh when Star Wars nerds do it with Lucas, I laugh when 2nd ed. freaks do it with Gygax, and I'm laughing at you now Mike.

Oh no, my faith in Mike Irwin!
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2007, 02:31:49 PM »
The objective of art/literature/artfilm, IMHO, is to challenge the audience by presenting a story/representation that's not immediately palatable.  The process of digesting it -- by maintaining focus and thinking -- elevates the audience.

I don't particularly like Seventh Seal, but I respect it.  It offers significant potential for interpretation and mental exercise, as opposed to, say, Top Gear.
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2007, 02:49:47 PM »
Amongst my few blessings, I can count the fact that I can't recall that I've ever seen an IB film  Wink
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2007, 02:54:47 PM »
Interesting interpretation tyme, but that kinda screws most classical art, doesn't it? Michelangelo's David isn't terribly unpalatable. Ditto the Mona Lisa and most of the great Impressionist paintings. Not to mention the only work of art I truly love, Winged Victory.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

tyme

• expat
  • friend
    • TFL Library
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2007, 06:34:48 PM »
I realized I was relying on something I should probably explain.  On the gradient of art, pictures, drawings/paintings, and sculpture are quite a bit more constrained in the stories they can tell, and they rely very heavily on cultural context, whereas in a book or movie the context can be built up independent of reality; often the point is to communicate the context in a way anyone can understand, in addition to more specific thematic elements.  The context necessary to understand most drawn/painted/sculpted art is partly history in a general sense -- which is no problem -- but also partly history of the particular category of art in question.  That strikes me as a bit incestuous, requiring understanding of the art to understand the art.  Blech.

I don't like "classical" art much, either.  The art and photography and architecture I do like, I like mostly for their (subjective) aesthetics.  The few that have more artistic qualities would, as above, rely heavily on interpretation within an externally-provided context.  Someone who's never heard of World War 2 would probably regard the Raising of the Flag as obnoxious and jingoistic.  Someone unfamiliar with China would probably regard the famous man vs tank picture as the height of stupidity, assuming a more reasonable context for the presence of tanks.

The more self-contained the art, the better the art, IMO.

Interesting interpretation tyme, but that kinda screws most classical art, doesn't it?

Most classical art is palatable?  Is that why guys tend to take art history classes just to meet chicks?  Smiley  Although I can't explain why chicks like art history.

It seems to me that the ascetic philosophy applies to interpretation of art.  Substantial popularity of a piece of art distracts from proper artistic interpretation, because would-be critics end up biased by their aesthetic reasons for liking/disliking the piece, and construct their artistic criticism to agree with their personal preferences.  If you start with something that everyone finds dull, it's easier to get past aesthetics.
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2007, 06:47:36 PM »
Tyme, I have no idea what your post meant.

Maybe that's why became an advertising photographer (read: prostitute) rather than trying to be an artist.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2007, 07:39:10 PM »
I think half of you are just giving your opinion as a way of bragging that you have seen Bergman's work and seen through the hype/appreciated its bold and daring statement on the meaning of life.  Or whatever.  And, boy howdy, aren't you cultured?  Tongue

Never seen any of his work yet.  Did just watch Citizen Kane for the first time, though.  Didn't really like it that much.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2007, 08:14:47 PM »
"Did just watch Citizen Kane for the first time, though."

Congratulations. Now watch D.W. Griffith's "Birth of a Nation," and tell me why it was so important as a piece of film "art."

Once you've done that, go watch the "films" of other celebrated "art" directors, and tell me what was so special about their "films."

Mike, it looks like you're in the minority on this one, although you're doing a fantastic job of holding your own. If you enjoy Bergman, Felini, and others, who's to criticize? It's your tastes, and your time watching.

I've always had a problem with films/literature/artwork that required me to answer the question "what does it mean?"

IMO, if such works don't at the very least suggest a meaning or a message, then the "artist" hasn't done his job.

But, of course, I'm just a prostitute.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2007, 08:26:42 PM »
"If you enjoy Bergman, Felini, and others, who's to criticize?"

Obviously everyone, apparently.

rolleyes

Can't say I'm surprised.

Disappointed, yes.

Surprised?

No, not really, I guess. 

I suppose my great failing here is expecting something of substance from a generation raised by television and weaned on The Simpsons.

"IMO, if such works don't at the very least suggest a meaning or a message, then the "artist" hasn't done his job."

So, in other words, you expect to be spoon fed a message instead of seeking one. I'm sorry, Monkeyleg, but that is anti-intellectualism at its worst. When a society tips over to that side of the balance, it truly is end times.

"But, of course, I'm just a prostitute."

To quote Xavier Hollander, You can lead a whore to culture, but you cannot make her think...

Well, I promise not to trouble any of you with items of cultural significance again. I'll limit "cultural" items to those involving who's dating whom, what rapper is beating his baby's mamma, and who threw a wicked mean pass against the Cowboys.

And another synapse dies.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2007, 09:11:54 PM »
I've said it before, I'll say it again: just because someone doesn't share your taste in movies doesn't mean they are slack jawed yokels. That's ad hom at it's worst.

And it's also fairly arrogant, isn't it? "I say this director is great. If you disagree it's prima facie evidence you're an idiot." Rampant fanboyism at it's worst.

I'd just like to point out I've never viewed an IB film, so I have no opinion of the movies in question. At no point have I discounted or disparaged the works. I merely dislike the condescending elitism in Mike's position that his is the penultimate authority on all things cultural. 

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2007, 09:24:05 PM »
"I merely dislike the condescending elitism in Mike's position that his is the penultimate authority on all things cultural."

Hum...

No where have I claimed that rank. You've chosen to assign it to me.

That, in and of itself, is very very telling.

Just curious, though.

Since I've been elevated to the penultimate position, who reigns as the ultimate?

Mr. Podhoretz?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2007, 09:26:33 PM »
Mike, you surprise me. I was expecting a well-written post about how Bergman was an important part of the evolution of the art of film.

I have no doubt that he was. My only complaint was that he bored me.

But that has nothing to do with your latest post, which in essence says that you're taking your ball and going home.

So what if I'm a photographic prostitute? Does that make you any less of a literary prostitute for writing technical manuals?

Mike, this topic is small-time compared to others. But it's obviously one that you have an interest in.

Rather than bemoan the lack of sophistication on this forum, why not explain why Bergman's films should be seen by everyone? Explain how they can enrich our lives and our minds. And I'm not kidding you, Mike.

It's no secret that I have an attitude about "intellectuals." And this thread is a good segue into an old story.

As I said, I had two years in college of film history courses. I had the same professor, although I'm drawing a blank on her name right now.

Anyway, I ran into her at a supermarket after classes let out. We were in the Campbell's soup aisle. I was looking for one soup, she was looking for another.

I remarked, "you know, Campbell's could probably sell more soup if every can didn't look the same. I've been here fifteen minutes, and I can't tell one flavor from another."

She just looked at me like I was from Mars. I was thinking marketing; she was thinking, oh, I don't know...something else.

And that's the problem I have with ivory tower intellectuals. (Mike, I'm certainly not lumping you into that class).

They have a disconnect with real day-to-day life. The "intellectuals" I've known wouldn't know how to add water to their cars' radiators.

I'm not spoiling for a fight with you, Mike. Just telling you my experience.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2007, 09:38:23 PM »
"But that has nothing to do with your latest post, which in essence says that you're taking your ball and going home."

Yep. It gets depressing trying to beat life into a dead horse when the horse adamantly refuses to live. At that point you accept that the horse has willed itself dead and move on.

"Does that make you any less of a literary prostitute for writing technical manuals?"

I don't labor under the premise or assumption that what I do for a living is, in any way, shape, or form, literature or art. 

What I do doesn't convey concepts, conditions, or deep truths. It's a function.

Is a house painter a prostitute to fine art painting because he works with sash brushes and house paint instead of  a Number 8 fine badger and Prussian Blue?

Not all writing is literature, not all literature is art, not all art is writing.

Insert any medium you wish into the previous statement.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2007, 09:57:58 PM »
"I don't labor under the premise or assumption that what I do for a living is, in any way, shape, or form, literature or art."

Nor do I. I produce photographs of products that my clients want to sell. That's it.

I'm serious, though, Mike, about you explaining to the rest of us what viewing "The Seventh Seal" could do for our minds, bodies, or souls.

I'm not being a wiseass, Mike. I'm asking you a serious question. For the two years that I had film history classes at the university, my professor could not answer that question.

If you can, there's a university position awaiting you. Wink

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2007, 02:14:24 AM »
Since I've been elevated to the penultimate position, who reigns as the ultimate?

cheesy  See, "penultimate" means really, really ultimate.  And "infamous"... cheesy

Congratulations. Now watch D.W. Griffith's "Birth of a Nation," and tell me why it was so important as a piece of film "art."
  I saw that some months back. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2007, 03:06:03 AM »
Tyme, I have no idea what your post meant.

Maybe that's why became an advertising photographer (read: prostitute) rather than trying to be an artist.
ML:

You became an advertising photog because you have talent folks were willing to pay for.  The others became "artists" who try to "challenge their audiences" because they are no-talent hacks who need some shtick as a crutch.  The coffee-house equivalents to the velvet Elvis purveyors with audiences ready to give a Pavlovian response.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

tyme

• expat
  • friend
    • TFL Library
« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2007, 05:35:38 AM »
The others became "artists" who try to "challenge their audiences" because they are no-talent hacks who need some shtick as a crutch.  The coffee-house equivalents to the velvet Elvis purveyors with audiences ready to give a Pavlovian response.

The mere fact that they have an audience implies that they are not talentless.  They have a knack for getting people -- a few people at least -- to pay attention.  Blame that on the general degeneracy of our culture if you want, but it doesn't change anything.

I'm rewatching seventh seal.  It's better than I remember.  :smirk:

Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

Iain

• friend
« Reply #45 on: August 01, 2007, 05:38:21 AM »
ML:

You became an advertising photog because you have talent folks were willing to pay for.  The others became "artists" who try to "challenge their audiences" because they are no-talent hacks who need some shtick as a crutch.  The coffee-house equivalents to the velvet Elvis purveyors with audiences ready to give a Pavlovian response.

And that is just bizarre. The value of anything is entirely and directly related to how much money can be made from it. Therefore van Gogh was no good in his lifetime a 'no-talent hack', but is a great artist now?
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #46 on: August 01, 2007, 09:11:41 AM »
Iain:

Watch out for those straw men.  Such as this:
The value of anything is entirely and directly related to how much money can be made from it.

Remove the absolutist terminology ("entirely") or toss in ("economic") to qualify "value" and you have a fair statement.  As it is, it is a straw man.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2007, 01:26:31 PM »
"I merely dislike the condescending elitism in Mike's position that his is the penultimate authority on all things cultural."

Hum...

No where have I claimed that rank. You've chosen to assign it to me.

That, in and of itself, is very very telling.

Just curious, though.

Mr. Podhoretz?

I'd say that making statements that anyone disagreeing with your taste in film is limited in intellect and restricted in interest to television and celebrity scandals does indeed make claims as to your superior taste and mental prowess.

An example. O Fortuna is just about my favorite piece of music, with the possible exception of the Piano Sonata #14. Let's say I posted that anyone who doesn't recognize the beauty and importance of this piece or the unrivaled genius of Carl Orff are ignorant hillbillies who cannot appreciate music which doesn't feature a pop tart "starlet" or rapper whose pants start at around the knees. I would be setting myself up in the position of arbiter of the value of music. I would be claiming, as I've said before, that what I like is so obviously superior that anyone with the temerity to disagree is either borderline retarded or culturally inbred. That's what you are doing with IB's works, and that's why I find it irritating.