Author Topic: Help JamisJockey pick out a boat.  (Read 3732 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: Help JamisJockey pick out a boat.
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2007, 04:05:36 PM »
So if you had Paul Allen's yacht, I wonder if it would be legal to put a 25 mm. Bushmaster cannon or two on it, if it is flagged in a foreign country.  Something like that, I suspect piracy would be a serious concern, if you go sailing about in SE Asia, or off the East African coast.  At the very least, I hope they would have several small arms, and the personnel who know how to use them.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Stickjockey

• friend
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2007, 04:08:28 PM »
Millcreek, that just gives me all sorts of evil ideas.

Pirate hunting, anyone?
APS #405. Plankowner? You be the judge.
We can't stop here! This is bat country!!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2007, 04:59:59 PM »

This is a buddy's fishing boat...
She is a 57 foot Spencer Sizzler

I would commit unnatural prison acts for such a boat....but its not in the plan. I'd like the ability to be able to tow it down to my Dad's, OBX, VAbeach, Ocean city, or just put in here on the Potomac and cruise with the familia.  Also, once the FIL moves to Louisiana, I sure as hell ain't leaving it home if we go there for a week or two....

I'd actually go with an Ocean myself

http://www.oceanyachtsinc.com/Fleet/Super_Sport/54_Super_Sport/index.html

That thing is bigger than my first apartment.  Pricetag over 1mil, makes it more expensive than the house we're about to buy.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2007, 05:13:20 PM »

Pirate hunting, anyone?

That notion has come up a few times here in the past.  I like it.  It appeals to the jarhead in me.  grin
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2007, 05:39:55 PM »
Doesn't anyone's idea of a dream boat include sails?  Or am I just freakish for think that a yacht is supposed to be wind powered?

Stickjockey

• friend
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2007, 06:21:50 PM »
Oh, Headless. Don't even go there with me.

92' oak hull Baltic Trader schooner, built in 1900.

Now that's a bit o' heaven, that is.
APS #405. Plankowner? You be the judge.
We can't stop here! This is bat country!!

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2007, 05:04:46 AM »

Pirate hunting, anyone?

That notion has come up a few times here in the past.  I like it.  It appeals to the jarhead in me.  grin

Except that civilian vessels suck at taking any sort of small arms fire hits. They learned that in WWI when a couple of liners got into fights with each other (Carmania vs Cap Trafalgar) and ended up looking like Swiss cheese. Machine-gun fire along the waterline and it's going down.

Now, if you made a yacht out of a surplus armored minesweeper or patrol boat...  grin

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2007, 05:09:15 AM »

Pirate hunting, anyone?

Except that civilian vessels suck at taking any sort of small arms fire hits. They learned that in WWII when a couple of liners got into fights and ended up looking like Swiss cheese. Machine-gun fire along the waterline and it's going down.

Now, if you made a yacht out of a surplus armored minesweeper or patrol boat...  grin

Not bad.  Keep the ideas coming.  This is doable.  We have the technology.   grin
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2007, 05:23:28 AM »
I'd still be in favor of taking the old S.S. United States out to that region as a shiny new sort of "Q-ship". She's in Philadelphia, just sitting there.

Fastest liner in the world still, designed and built in the US, almost 50 knots, nearly 1000 feet long, and since she was built in the 1950's as a Navy contingency troopship as well, she has an armored hull with anti-torpedo banding that would prevent damage from suicide ramming rafts.

Anyone got a few hundred million? It's disgraceful she's sitting there like that, she should be our Ship of State. If you're in Philly, drive by the harbor. So impressive that it doesn't even look real from a distance, more like a movie set. While modern cruise ships are uuuuuugly condos that float, this one is "wow" presence, even with her paint peeling.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2007, 09:15:36 AM »
Wish I had known about the ship when I was in Philly a few weeks ago.  That would've been worth a side trip.

JJ, if you get an blue water capable boat, WE ARE GOING SALTWATER FISHING.  Ya hear? Cheesy

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2007, 09:20:38 AM »
I don't think it's open for tours.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2007, 09:28:02 AM »
I don't think it's open for tours.

No, but it's really hard to miss even driving by!

The lines of the ship are absolutely gorgeous. A bit of the old Iowa-class battleships to her, I think.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2007, 09:31:52 AM »
I just did a little tooling around on the ship foundation's website.

It was designed so that there was virtually nothing flammable used in its construction.

Built at that time, that means TONS and TONS of asbestos. Apparently even some of the carpets were asbestos fiber.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2007, 09:37:50 AM »
Yup, all that's been stripped out to bare metal now. The superstructure is mostly aluminum, too, not steel, so she hasn't turned into a rustbucket.

BTW, here's one of my favorite pictures of all time. This is the ship's designer, William Francis Gibbs, who had been designing her for about 20 years as his personal dream. She was completely his baby, everything down to the hull shape with stabilizing planes and staggered screws that let her get to paint-peeling speeds.

"He would call each day the ship was at sea to check on her condition, and would be present at each arrival and departure."

Tribute to American ingenuity, I think. And a powerful picture. I think you can tell how he feels.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2007, 10:02:46 AM »
so, when the SHTF,
we commandeer the SS United States, retrofit some big deck guns and go privateer...
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2007, 10:08:55 AM »
so, when the SHTF,
we commandeer the SS United States, retrofit some big deck guns and go privateer...

Arg...

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2007, 10:12:57 AM »
Why did the Village People's "In the Navy" just pop into my mind?

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2007, 10:16:04 AM »
so, when the SHTF,

Though I want to see someone try to figure out how to properly start up 248,000 horsepower of eight oil-fueled high-pressure boilers and four turbines. You can't exactly just turn a key... Wink

"Sir, someone is stealing the Enterprise!"

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2007, 11:01:45 AM »
Wish I had known about the ship when I was in Philly a few weeks ago.  That would've been worth a side trip.

JJ, if you get an blue water capable boat, WE ARE GOING SALTWATER FISHING.  Ya hear? Cheesy

Chris

Betchersweetass.
You going to Tennessee with me?  I found a VRBO house on the South Holston.  Artificals only IIRC, big fat 'bows and browns.  And drinking.  Lots of drinking.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2007, 11:06:10 AM »
so, when the SHTF,

Though I want to see someone try to figure out how to properly start up 248,000 horsepower of eight oil-fueled high-pressure boilers and four turbines. You can't exactly just turn a key... Wink

Piece of cake.

Only you need about 50 people to pull the starting rope.

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2007, 11:07:33 AM »
so, when the SHTF,
OK, you east coast guys take the United States, us west coast guys will storm the USS Midway museum and steam around to meet you.  I want the Midway for my personal playground please, thanks.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2007, 11:17:19 AM »
so, when the SHTF,

So easy, get about 20 of us drunk as a skunk, a couple stellar whiskey dares and they will find us under steam/power headed to Caribbean for more rum.

Uranus is a gas giant.

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2007, 11:19:44 AM »

So easy, get about 20 of us drunk as a skunk, a couple stellar whiskey dares and they will find us under steam/power headed to Caribbean for more rum.

I'll meet you there with my Fearless Midway Crew. 
No, I was never in the Navy, but I want to stand on the bridge of that ship with a wench and a mug of rum.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2007, 11:21:49 AM »

I'll meet you there with my Fearless Midway Crew. 
No, I was never in the Navy, but I want to stand on the bridge of that ship with a wench and a mug of rum.

I'll have to make sure to pack my jumper cables before heading to the bar

Uranus is a gas giant.