Author Topic: E-mail and possible virus file question...  (Read 1238 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
E-mail and possible virus file question...
« on: July 30, 2007, 11:09:03 AM »
Just got what appears to be a typical "Nigerian Scam Letter," only this one doesn't offer money, it offers a job.

It gives a link to click to get the application, and the link ends in .php.

I know that's a hypertext scripting language, but can it be a delivery medium for viri?

I've already spam reported the message to Yahoo, but I'm just curious.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
Re: E-mail and possible virus file question...
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 11:28:13 AM »
I am not sure.  I wouldn't run it. 

I have been getting emails lately that appear to have pdf files attached.  I have no idea what that is. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 11:31:11 AM »
PHP is a server-side scripting language, so there's nothing intrinsically more dangerous about clicking on it than on an HTML link.  Which is not to say that the page that is living behind the php won't be malicious, of course.

-BP
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007, 11:47:31 AM »
You could just click on it and find out.  After that, your spilled coffee might seem trivial Wink
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007, 02:59:39 PM »
PHP is a server-side scripting language, so there's nothing intrinsically more dangerous about clicking on it than on an HTML link.  Which is not to say that the page that is living behind the php won't be malicious, of course.

-BP

QFT

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2007, 03:31:59 PM »
I've been getting lots of "You've received a greeting card!" spam. An ".exe" file in DOS is an application, right?

I'm supposed to be naive enough to click on it?
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

danny

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2007, 05:39:13 AM »
Yeah,  I get 4-5 of those greeting card emails per day.  Getting annoying.

mountainclmbr

• friend
  • Sunset, Casa Mountainclmbr
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2007, 07:11:26 AM »
I think we need a poll to determine if Mike clicks on the link. After the "yes" votes win, Mike should post back and tell us what happened.
Just say no to Obama, Osama and Chelsea's mama.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2007, 09:01:47 AM »
I've been getting lots of "You've received a greeting card!" spam. An ".exe" file in DOS is an application, right?

I'm supposed to be naive enough to click on it?

.EXE is executable code. Don't run it.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2007, 09:07:29 AM »
Yeah, if we don't hear from Mike in a while, we'll know it was malicious.  Cheesy
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

client32

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2007, 09:37:01 AM »
I get several job offer scams, but then I have my resume posted on monster, hotjobs, dice, etc...

The majority that I get are there to get your information to sell.  Many of them (including this one I got today) ask if you are interested in higher education.
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations - APS homepage 3/4/05 - 5/20/05

Never ask a man where he is from. If he is from Texas he will tell you. If he isn't there's no need to embarass him.