Author Topic: Ebay to end all firearms related auctions  (Read 2803 times)

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
Re: Ebay to end all firearms related auctions
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2007, 12:59:28 PM »
What do you think will happen to those sellers on eBay when they can't sell there anymore?  Will they just decide, "oh, we can't sell anymore.  We'll just have a firesale and go out of business"?   Or will they think, "screw eBay.  We're gonna list on GB.  And we aint taking PayPal no more either"?

Actually, it'll go a third route.  I just had an email conversation with my favorite cast "bullet tip" source on eBay, and he's going to sell to me direct.  No AuctionArms or GunBroker. 

I'm thinking about a buy/sell/trade subforum and link area on my latest acquisition, The Carnival of Cordite.  I'd just have links to suppliers and traders for direct sales, I won't handle any transactions, but will delete links if I get wind that deals via those people went bad.   
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Ezekiel

• friend
  • Intellectual Masturbationist
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2007, 01:33:22 PM »
It's their right, I don't see the issue.
Zeke

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2007, 01:40:54 PM »

It is their right.  The issue is that they've decided to restrict sales of legal items while ignoring the fraud, illegal items, and other questionable activities on their site.  I've personally watched auctions for counterfeit bike frames continue to completion after multiple people have alerted ebay and the seller to the "error".

So, it's their right to run their business the way they see fit and our right to take our money elsewhere.

Chris

Ezekiel

• friend
  • Intellectual Masturbationist
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2007, 05:05:53 PM »

It is their right.  The issue is that they've decided to restrict sales of legal items while ignoring the fraud, illegal items, and other questionable activities on their site.  I've personally watched auctions for counterfeit bike frames continue to completion after multiple people have alerted ebay and the seller to the "error".

So, it's their right to run their business the way they see fit and our right to take our money elsewhere.

Chris

Sure, take your $$$ elsewhere.  The point is, they don't care.

I assure you, this was studied, and, somehow, it benefits them.

What's the rub?
Zeke

bunni

• imfdb.org
    • Internet Movie Firearms Database
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2007, 09:00:54 PM »
I have no problem with this - their oversight was negligent, I've seen more than a few complete actions auctioned off on eBay.

nico

• friend
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2007, 07:59:34 AM »
In my experience, eBay has been getting less and less stringent about scam auctions, too. As long as they get their cut, they really don't care if the auction for "PS3 $200 WOW" really has a thing at the bottom in 2pt text saying "not for actual item, you will get information on how to get PS3 for $200!" ...and such. And hundreds of positive shill feedbacks, mostly out of China.

There's that sort on nearly every prestige item and gadget, now.
not to mention all the counterfeit items they knowingly allow to be sold on their site, like the Chinese-made "leupold" scopes. angry

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2007, 08:26:14 AM »
I and several others pointed out to Ebay once when a guy was selling a bike as a "Klein Pulse".  It was NOT a Pulse, not even remotely close.  How do I know?  I have owned one for nearly 10 years.  In addition, the rediculous ad talked up the bike's use as a downhill racing bike.  Nothing could be further from the truth.  Kleins are terrible choices for downhill racing considering their short wheelbase and lack of rear suspension (Klein did build some FS bikes, but even those aren't appropriate for serious downhill racing).  Anyway, the ads were never pulled and the guy posted similar bikes several times over, always claiming they were each a "Klein Pulse".

Then there's the various CB amps and other illegal radio equipment...

Chris

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2007, 08:37:15 AM »
I believe eBay is now also the primary distribution channel for counterfeit fashion accessories, electronics, cellphone batteries (that can explode, even), and media.

There are tens of thousands of DVDs and CDs on there clearly labeled with the names of the most infamous pirate outfits in Hong Kong, the ones so brazen that they have their own catalogs.

These are all pirate labels, none of them publish legitmately, but they sell copies of nearly every movie and CD in major catalogs...some with poor inkjet covers, some with new booklets that often have more than a few misspellings. SonMay is one of the most blatant.

* Son May (SM) - GGG, GA, GSM, SM, SS, AnG, SMA, SMB, GAME, CK
    * Smiley Face Records Ltd - KA, HO
    * Ever Anime - A8, TV, CV, NP, GM
    * Hi Fashion
    * Alion - ALCA
    * Miya Records - MICP
    * Archer Records - R
    * Ho Son - B, H
    * Wisdom Records
    * Yuanding
    * Top Circle
    * Golden Diamond

And eBay couldn't care less. They get their cut!