Author Topic: Cold Fusion: Future of physics or phoney?  (Read 2989 times)

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Cold Fusion: Future of physics or phoney?
« on: October 30, 2011, 04:03:07 PM »
http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2011-10/28/cold-fusion?page=2

May I have my own powerplant plz?

Energy costs are a big problem for many people, and the UK government recently expressed concern over domestic heating bills. After the October test, Rossi proposed as his own solution: a home E-Cat, a cube measuring 40 centimetres a side, which will produce all the heating and hot water you want. (Think "Mr Fusion" Home Energy Reactor in Back To The Future). His target cost is 500 euros per kilowatt, so replacing a typical boiler with an E-Cat would cost about £6,000 -- but you could then leave the heating on 24/7 and never see a fuel bill again.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Nick1911

• Administrator
Re: Cold Fusion: Future of physics or phoney?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 04:08:02 PM »
ah hahaha, this crap again?

The international patent application has been partially rejected because it seemed to "offend against the generally accepted laws of physics and established theories" and to overcome this problem the application should have contained either experimental evidence or a firm theoretical basis in current scientific theories. Due to this secrecy, the Swedish evaluators were not allowed to examine the inside of the reactor, and there is still uncertainty about the viability of the invention.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 04:36:23 PM »
I report, you decide    :laugh:

Would be a game changer if true though...
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 05:11:03 PM »
Would be a game changer if true though...

To quote someone else on the internet, if it works they will be putting his picture on postage stamps and money.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof.  So far, I see the proof hidden behind "trade secrets".  Standard scam artist fare.

1. Create hoax device
2. Get media buzz.
3. Hide details behind "trade secrets" - don't let anyone examine it up close
4. Claim you only need another year to prefect it.
5. Get money from venture capitalists.
6. Disappear

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, 05:46:52 PM »
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2011, 07:38:13 PM »
generally accepted laws of physics

Just get Congress to change the laws  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2011, 07:41:36 PM »

while they're at it, I want my hoverboard, tiny pizza that can be cooked to full size in seconds, Mr. Fusion on back of a delorean, and a sports almanac
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2011, 07:44:39 PM »
To quote someone else on the internet, if it works they will be putting his picture on postage stamps and money.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof.  
QFT.  He needs to prove it.

If he can prove it and keep it secret, he can start his on Shipstone Industries Inc.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2011, 08:29:59 PM »
birdman, please pickup the glowing courtesy phone.  =)
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2011, 08:41:32 PM »
Rossi has claimed that the device will output six times as much energy as it consumes.

I don't get it.

I understand needing catalyzing energy to start a power plant or energy producing reaction.

But, if it truly generates power... 6:1 is a crappy ratio.  Look at a fission plant.  Palo Verde here in AZ produces 3 gigawatts.  I am extremely skeptical of the notion that Palo Verde requires 500 megawatts to operate its power generating subsystems.

Or even 500 megawatts to start in the first place.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

birdman

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2011, 09:13:23 PM »
Not cold fusion, looks like a "low energy nuclear reaction" device...a concept that many have claimed, no one has proven, and no one even has a physics explanation for.  Personally, given the energies involved in the small scale devices, experimental error makes a big difference, and until someone can explain why it works, I don't believe it.  Perhaps there is a phenomenon we can't explain that is being exploited...(like fire, before a few hundred years ago), but it seems more likely that there is an error we don't understand yet.

I would love to be proven wrong, but any energy generation that only works in small scale, is apparently thousands of times more powerful than chemical processes, but thousands less than nuclear, and relies on unexplained physics arouses my skepticism.

Google LENR for more "information".  Take with grain of salt.

Also, occams razor.  If these phenomenon (starting with the Utah "cold fusion" debacle) were as capable as people claim...you'd think in 20+ years....someone would have made money off it?  I mean, it's not like there is VAST amounts of money in producing energy....oh wait...there is.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2011, 10:38:37 PM »
. . . but it seems more likely that there is an error we don't understand yet.
This.

Reminds me of a guy who got a lot - and I do mean a LOT - of attention from the local media up in Minnesota 20+ years ago; he claimed to have invented a furnace based on circulating hydraulic fluid that was more than 100% efficient. They even had professors at University of Minnesota who measured energy input, airflow, input temperature, and output temperature, plugged the numbers into an equation, and got . . . over 100% efficiency.

Much amazement.

Until an undergraduate got hold of the numbers and realized they had computed thermal efficiency by entering temperatures in degrees centigrade - rather than the proper degrees kelvin.

Oops.  :facepalm:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2011, 03:27:57 AM »

Don't need congress, Obama can just make another executive order.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams