Author Topic: Cataract surgery and handgun sighting?  (Read 404 times)

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Cataract surgery and handgun sighting?
« on: April 28, 2021, 05:32:15 AM »
I'm looking at cataract surgery in my "shootin' eye" (the right one) later this year and one of the questions that will arise is whether I want the focus to be "close," "normal" or "distant."  The advance literature I have doesn't specify any actual numbers, and I wouldn't expect "precision" in that respect.

So I wondered if anyone had any knowledge or experience in regard to what might be the best focusing range for me, assuming I'm not wearing corrective eyeglasses.

I'm not too worried about long range shooting with a rifle; I can correct with the eyepiece on the 'scopes.  In fact, at my age I am only interested in defense shooting, and at 15 yards or less at that.  So if I use a two-handed hold with the sights at, say, 2 or 3 feet from my eyes, and at 15 yards range, I guess a "normal" lens replacement might  be best, but would that leave the sights out of focus.... ?

Any comments or experience on this?

(Given the "tenor of the times" in respect to firearms, I'm reluctant to ask my medical people about this.  I know some medicos are pro-2A, but that's a coin I don't want to toss.)

Terry

« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 05:48:14 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

cordex

• Administrator
Re: Cataract surgery and handgun sighting?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2021, 05:48:32 AM »
Why not ask what about whether 15 yards would be considered near or medium without specifying that you are concerned with defensive shooting?

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2021, 06:03:30 AM »
^ Good point.  Duh, me. <smites forehead>  :facepalm:

But I wouldn't mind hearing about others' experiences with cataract surgery anyhow.  Kind of a hand-holding plea.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2021, 07:54:51 AM »
Have you looked into slide mounted optics?

Then you only have one focal plane to deal with.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2021, 08:27:51 AM »
So I am having a left cataract done next month.  I have opted to have the artificial intraocular lens with no correction, just like the original biological lens.  I will continue to have my vision corrected via glasses and not with the implanted lens.

ETA: I should probably mention that I have only one good eye due to childhood strabismus and amblyopia.  I have therefore opted to use glasses my entire life for the protection aspect for my eyes.  So going without glasses has never appealed to me.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 09:12:41 AM by MillCreek »

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2021, 08:46:53 AM »
The local "big" ophthalmology practice is advertising "premium lens replacement" - a lens that allows you to focus both near and far without glasses. THIS IS NOT AN ENDORSEMENT of these people since I don't have any personal experience with them, but here's a link so you can take a look at what they say: 

https://www.austineye.com/laser-lens-replacement/

I'm guessing this is a multifocal lens that provides multiple foci.

I'm soon going to be trying contact lenses that supposedly will do the same thing. Sounds good on paper, we'll see how it will work in practice.

My mother had cataract surgery a couple of years ago with a standard lens implanted, and she sees pretty well without glasses - but she DOES use a cheap set of readers. I put laser grips on the revolver she keeps handy since I don't think she'll see the sights very well. 
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2021, 09:23:41 AM »
I don't know much about it, but when my dad got cataract surgery at ~82, he stopped needing glasses for anything, and he could read smaller print than I could. To the day he died, he could "read the fine print" that I need reading glasses for.

I know his concern was driving, so if there was any focus (ha ha) on range of vision, I assume it would have been for distance.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2021, 12:54:53 PM »
I had cataract surgery in both eyes 10 years ago.  Not knowing any better I let the Dr. put in corrective implants that gave me far distance vision which was a novelty, until my eyes changed and I had to start wearing reading glasses.  I used to shoot well and often, but since the surgery I shoot rarely and not as well.  I would not have the implants again and I advise others not to as well.  If you wear glasses now, keep on with them.  Your prescription can be changed as needed, the implants, NO.  Just my experience and opinion.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2021, 03:40:26 AM »
HankB:"The local 'big' ophthalmology practice is advertising 'premium lens replacement'- a lens that allows you to focus both near and far without glasses. "

Out of my coverage, though my Med Insurance offered it for an additional sum. 

"... and she sees pretty well without glasses - but she DOES use a cheap set of readers. I put laser grips on the revolver she keeps handy since I don't think she'll see the sights very well. "

I did too on my carry guns. Many advantages to lasers, especially in low light situations, but some disavantages. Which is why I also want to see the regular sights if I have to.

I guess I'm going to go for the midrange lens.