Author Topic: Sidwell Friends School Opts For Asian Food On Dec. 7  (Read 6216 times)

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
Sidwell Friends School Opts For Asian Food On Dec. 7
« on: December 07, 2011, 09:49:47 AM »
http://wusa9.com/news/article/178399/158/Presidents-Kids-School-Japanese-Menu-For-Pearl-Harbor-Day

WASHINGTON (WUSA) -- What are President Obama's kids eating at school on Pearl Harbor day? Asian food, of course!

Sidwell Friends School's website shows the menu for Wednesday December 7th, 2011, the 70th anniversary of Pearl Harbor Day, as an Asian food day.
I don't care who it is, this is completely inappropriate!
If it was my kid's school, they would be brown-bagging.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

BridgeRunner

• friend
Re: Sidwell Friends School Opts For Asian Food On Dec. 7
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 09:57:34 AM »
Why is it inappropriate?

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 10:16:39 AM »
http://wusa9.com/news/article/178399/158/Presidents-Kids-School-Japanese-Menu-For-Pearl-Harbor-Day
I don't care who it is, this is completely inappropriate!
If it was my kid's school, they would be brown-bagging.

The Japanese killed ten times more asians than Americans in WWII.  They invaded China. 
Was this just a random event on thier normal calendar? Oversight?
And unless someone can prove ill intent, my outrage meter is pegged on "meh".
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 10:18:39 AM »
Hell I am now craving some good Asian food.  Thing is the best place in Kuwait is on a base about an hour or so from where I am right now.  Not very easy to do.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 10:19:17 AM »
The first Ms. MillCreek runs the school food service for a large school district in the area.  School districts typically have a 2-4 week menu cycle that repeats.  I suspect that this is sheer coincidence that Asian food day is on December 7th.  And 'Asian' does not necessarily mean 'Japanese'.  

If you are implying that a private school in DC is somehow cheering for the Japanese on December 7th by serving Asian food in the cafeteria, then the hat needs a few more layers.   [tinfoil]

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 10:27:59 AM »
With most schools, I'd shrug it off as a meaningless coincidence. With Sidwell Friends . . .  ???

(Even on Dec. 7, I'd have NO probems at all with the symbolism of a school serving, say, some Cantonese dish; China was already at war with Japan on 12/7/41.)

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 10:28:28 AM »
Match it with VJ Day

"Will I ever learn that there’ll be no peace, that the war won’t cease
Until He returns?"
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 10:37:06 AM »
The article states that these are the choices on the menu:

Asian Mushroom Soup
Oriental Noodle Salad
Classic Spinach Salad
Teriyaki Marinated Chicken Strips
Szechuan Tofu & Veggies
Garlic Roasted Edamame
Vegetable Fried Rice
Fortune Cookies

I love how the page is named "Presidents-Kids-School-Japanese-Menu-For-Pearl-Harbor-Day" in the URL.  ;/ Only a couple of these could be remotely considered Japanese food.

REALLY???  There is plenty to be outraged about as it relates to Obama.  This is a strrrrrrretch. 
Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2011, 10:45:09 AM »
On the off chance that it is deliberate, I think it's fine because:

1) Time to get over it. I don't mean forget the war. But the war wasn't about food, or Japan, really. It was about cultural imperialism, facism, and a bunch of other things having nothing to do with a sushi lunch. At a certain point, like, oh, 50+ years, prejudice against food items stops being remembrance and starts being pointless hatred.

2) A sense of awareness of history. It's hard to cultivate. I didn't notice it was Pearl Harbor Day. Shame on me--but I don't think anyone in my kids' school will notice either--shame on the school. Taste and smell are powerful sensations for augmenting an experience. What better way to get kids to notice a historical event than witha taste of it?

3) They're a Friends school. Quakers have been pacifists for a little while now. I'm not into pacifism for it's own sake, and generally think a bit less of people who are. But a sect that has stuck with it through thick and thin for centuries now gets a pass in my book on this one. Still think they're wrong, but it's not a bad thing to have a few pacifists around, doing their thing.

4) Asian food is yummy. Except Korean, bleh.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2011, 10:47:57 AM »
Well said BR.  Except the part about Korean food, yummy.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2011, 10:50:57 AM »
Agreed BR. 

Except the part about Korean Food.   =)
Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2011, 11:05:44 AM »
I'm not gonna fight with my phone to edit "it's" into "its", but would just like to say: Curse you, autocorrect! Sometimes I mean what I type!

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2011, 11:09:59 AM »
No one is arguing about the goodness of Asian cuisine.  But maybe a society that thinks more about cuisine than the values that formed it is in serious trouble.  How many Americans even know what WW II was all about?
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2011, 11:24:25 AM »
No one is arguing about the goodness of Asian cuisine.  But maybe a society that thinks more about cuisine than the values that formed it is in serious trouble.  How many Americans even know what WW II was all about?

I promise not to duck.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2011, 11:45:42 AM »
The article states that these are the choices on the menu:

Asian Mushroom Soup
Oriental Noodle Salad
Classic Spinach Salad
Teriyaki Marinated Chicken Strips
Szechuan Tofu & Veggies
Garlic Roasted Edamame
Vegetable Fried Rice
Fortune Cookies
Poor kids . . .

The only things that look like actual food on the list are the chicken strips and a couple of sides (soup and salads) . . . otherwise, it's just what food eats.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2011, 12:48:16 PM »
General Tso's, fried rice, and hot & sour soup would have been much different!
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2011, 10:31:23 PM »
My company served Chinese today...

It's a plot!

;/

Really, though.  I could not possibly care less that some school for ninnies served teriyaki chicken on Pearl Harbor Day.  It's not fried USS Arizona hull, it's chicken.

And Korean food is nasty.  All the Koreans I know agree.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2011, 07:43:43 PM »
How about some Japanese Mushroom Cloud Soup  ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2011, 07:49:55 PM »
More of a summer dish, isn't it?  ???
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2011, 02:00:21 AM »
How about some Japanese Mushroom Cloud Soup  ???

:lol:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2011, 02:56:44 AM »

Teriyaki Marinated Chicken Strips - Teriyaki chicken strips come from Georgia. In WW2 Georgia was part of the USSR, a key American ally.

Szechuan Tofu & Veggies - Szechuan is Chinese. China was a key American ally in WW2 and suffered vastly from Japanese aggression and genocide.

Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2011, 09:18:32 AM »
In WW2 Georgia was part of the USSR

Well, you can hardly blame them after what Sherman did to Atlanta  =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2011, 09:24:19 AM »
Oh for cryin out loud

Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2011, 10:15:12 AM »
Oh for cryin out loud

Don't be such a fairy....  ;/
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.