Author Topic: sigh, remember when "gun control" was the new third rail of politics?  (Read 5915 times)

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Ahh, the good ol days when the Dems saw the light and had no interest in disarming the public.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: sigh, remember when "gun control" was the new third rail of politics?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 08:50:07 PM »
Must have been a long time ago.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 09:13:51 PM »
But that was before the elephant in the room grew to 16 trillion. The third rail can eventually become a necessary diversion when it's less dangerous than another rail, i.e. deficit, debt, and the attendant decisions no one wants to deal with..
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

grampster

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 10:27:10 PM »
It still is.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 10:31:53 PM »
Grampster's right. It's still the third rail, and they're making it dangerously hotter. They may think they're diverting attention, but the acts of sheriffs and legislatures nationwide show that the public is watching.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 10:57:29 PM »
It seems to me that they are increasing support for gun rights rather.  Putting the arguments in front of people who normally would ignore it. 

The question to me is whether the idiot republicans will back down despite decreasing support for compromise.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 11:51:25 PM »
You're asking about the national debt?  Oooh, look at the shiny thing over there!  

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2013, 12:35:03 AM »
Grampster's right. It's still the third rail, and they're making it dangerously hotter. They may think they're diverting attention, but the acts of sheriffs and legislatures nationwide show that the public is watching.

Yep. 2014 will remind them.
I promise not to duck.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2013, 09:05:39 AM »
If only the Stupid Party was not so stupid.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2013, 10:49:19 AM »
This spotlight on firearms should be the perfect opportunity to illustrate where the preponderance of gun violence takes place, who is committing the gun violence and what policies have failed allowing these islands of violence to exist.

Most D's, the media and a large faction of the R's aren't interested in saving the lives or alleviating the inner city poverty where the lawlessness reigns. As long as the violence stays contained to the bad neighborhoods and rarely bleeds out into society at large they are content.

That poverty and lawlessness is the perfect excuse for all their anti liberty power grab policies.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 10:53:01 AM by Ron »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2013, 11:09:04 AM »
If only the Stupid Party was not so stupid.

The Fall Guy Party?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2013, 11:18:22 AM »

The question to me is whether the idiot republicans will back down despite decreasing support for compromise.

Not a question of if. It's a question of when. I have no faith in the republicans. None. They will cave.  Then try to window dress is as "we did this because if not, the laws would have been much more restricting. See we helps you".
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2013, 11:46:29 AM »
A question that has crossed my mind is this...with Joe pushing everyone to buy a double barrelled shotgun, and Feinstein and company foaming at the mouth again, how far will they really try to push things?  Go after the EBR's and mags first.  Then handguns.  Then repeating rifles and shotguns.  And, if this is just the first act of this play, and they get things pushed through, how will the courts and SCOTUS rule after setting the bar in Heller?  Will "reasonable restriction" come into play, as I fear it might.  or will they throw it all out.  And if they do throw it out, will we see the Obama admin try to take action, either by executive order as we've seen him do (and which I'd love to see challenged through SCOTUS if he tried to use it as an end-around on one of their rulings), or would he go so far as to go back to the ideas of FDR and try packing the court with his people, even if it means expanding the number of sitting justices?

No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2013, 12:01:49 PM »
I think they'll push all kinds of crap, then "compromise" with universal NICS checks and no private sales. And after a few years where they have a solid registery, then things will go rodeo.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2013, 12:07:17 PM »
alleviating the inner city poverty

We're already spending trillions in welfare.  :facepalm:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2013, 12:11:02 PM »
We're already spending trillions in welfare.  :facepalm:

I didn't say I wanted even more or even any wealth transfer payments.

The failed policies that created the mess need to be addressed. That includes the fostering of a dependency class that stays penned up in urban slums or the "wrong side of the tracks" in rural small town America.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2013, 01:22:45 PM »
I think they'll push all kinds of crap, then "compromise" with universal NICS checks and no private sales. And after a few years where they have a solid registery, then things will go rodeo.

I think that's their plan, precisely. They know they can't get an AW ban through, so they'll push for as much as they can, and the Republicans will give a little, and give them "universal checks". Just one more chip from a much-chipped 2nd Amendment.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2013, 01:42:38 PM »
The thing with the third rail is that it takes some moron occasionally touching it to remind everyone why it's so dangerous.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2013, 08:59:51 PM »
Sorry folks, but we're getting what we asked for now...

For as long as I can remember, the Republicans have been able to skate on lip service to gun rights. And we've let them. Now, we get to reap the harvest of doing so...
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2013, 10:14:47 PM »
Sorry folks, but we're getting what we asked for now...

For as long as I can remember, the Republicans have been able to skate on lip service to gun rights. And we've let them. Now, we get to reap the harvest of doing so...

This....I find it hard to stifle a derisive laugh when anyone mentions how great Reagan or GWB were on gun rights.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2013, 10:17:45 PM »
Can anyone point to a federal gun law passed under GW?

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2013, 10:19:32 PM »
Can anyone point to a federal gun law passed repealed under GW?

FIFY.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
  • I have a personal text message
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2013, 02:22:33 AM »
The undetectable (plastic) weapon ban. 2003 Set to expire again later this year.

Several politicians want to add on to it now, possibly to ban home made plastic gun parts. We would be better off now had we won that fight then. Now with 3D printers it matters more and we won't win.

GW also could have done much better concerning executive orders.
"I don't always shoot defenceless women in the face, but when I do, I prefer H-S Precision.

Stay bloodthirsty, my friends."

- Lon Horiuchi

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2013, 04:57:47 AM »
>Can anyone point to a federal gun law passed under GW? <

I'm gonna turn this one around a bit, and go back to a conversation I had with an ex coworker.

Said personage is gay, and VERY staunchly Democrat. When I asked him why (it being VERY slow at work that day), he started going on about how "Democrats support gay rights!". My response was simple: "But what have they actually done, other than talk?"

We (gun owners) have been giving Republicans a pass. Yeah, they MIGHT fight a gun control bill, kinda... until it becomes politically expedient to "compromise", giving the antis some of what they want (while we get nothing in return). And we're supposed to support them for this?

I'm sorry Dick. But if a Democrat started introducing progun bills (national reciprocity, opening the MG registry, repealing all or part of NFA), they would have my vote and support instantly. Until that time, I can't bring myself to support the Republican party at the national level. Between that and their abysmal choices in who goes for the presidency the last two elections, I just can't do it
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2013, 06:47:01 AM »
^^^^This. Strings nailed it. Republicans, Democrats...a pox on BOTH their houses. They both lie to their constituents, and say anything we want to hear to get elected, then they follow the money and the power until the next election. Tar and feathers should come back into style.
Hi.