Author Topic: Shun the heretic!  (Read 960 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Shun the heretic!
« on: December 19, 2013, 10:38:38 AM »
/r/science bans "climate change" "deniers." Cause nothing says free and open discourse like vilifying and banning your opponents. http://grist.org/climate-energy/reddits-science-forum-banned-climate-deniers-why-dont-all-newspapers-do-the-same/
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
Re: Shun the heretic!
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 11:50:28 AM »
Much as I enjoy /r/science on reddit.com, it has as much relationship with actual process of science and its reporting as The WWF has with wrestling as a sport.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 02:48:01 PM »
The end result was a disservice to science and to rational exploration, not to mention the scholarly audience we are proud to have cultivated. When 97 percent of climate scientists clergy agree that man is changing the climate the earth is flat and is located at the center of the Universe, we would hope the comments would at least acknowledge if not reflect such widespread consensus. Since that was not the case, we needed more than just an ad hoc approach to correct the situation.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2013, 07:38:49 PM »
The sad thing is that the huge consensus was really a lie to begin with.  At the time, they could have gotten a reasonably good number straight up.  They didn't have to fudge the question and the pool of "scientists", but they did anyway and all the believers ran with it. 

Never mind that the idea of consensus and agreement is sort of the anti-thesis of the scientific method.  If your data and conclusions are good, why the need for evasion and why try to shut down debate?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge