Author Topic: Firewood challenges  (Read 3585 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Firewood challenges
« Reply #50 on: December 16, 2019, 11:41:58 AM »
Just for grins and giggles I decided to compare BTU per cord of hardwood (24 million or so, White Oak) with what I have in the pellets that I have stockpiled...

Pellets are about 8000 BTU per pound. 40 pounds to a bag = 320,000 BTU per bag. I have (I think) around 23 bags stockpiled right now, so 7.36 million BTU, which gives me... A little under 1/3rd of a cord equivalent.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #51 on: December 16, 2019, 11:59:26 AM »
My stash is mixed hardwoods, white oak, ash, black cherry, persimmon, hackberry and black locust.ive got about a cord of white oak and black locust that I cut last year that wont be ready to burn till next season. The ash, hackberry and cherry I've cut this year will be good for next year. I'd like to be back to 2 years ahead but I'll probably have to buy a couple ricks this year to get there since I keep falling apart.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #52 on: December 16, 2019, 02:40:16 PM »
Just for grins and giggles I decided to compare BTU per cord of hardwood (24 million or so, White Oak) with what I have in the pellets that I have stockpiled...

Pellets are about 8000 BTU per pound. 40 pounds to a bag = 320,000 BTU per bag. I have (I think) around 23 bags stockpiled right now, so 7.36 million BTU, which gives me... A little under 1/3rd of a cord equivalent.

Is that the BTU available in the wood/pellets or is that what you can expect to transfer to the house through burning?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #53 on: December 16, 2019, 05:11:47 PM »
Available in the wood.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #54 on: December 16, 2019, 05:32:06 PM »
For all you lumberjacks, give this trick a try.

http://imgur.com/gallery/hj5luvq
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #55 on: December 16, 2019, 06:37:07 PM »
For all you lumberjacks, give this trick a try.

http://imgur.com/gallery/hj5luvq
Pretty slick. First time I’ve seen it. But I would just pull it with a chain and tractor instead of going to the trouble of railing it.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #56 on: December 23, 2019, 10:11:49 AM »
Just realized that I didn't fully answer your question, Fly...

8100 or so BTU per pound in pellets.

My stove is around 70% efficient, so I get a little over 5,600 BTU per pound of pellets burned. My Castle isn't the most efficient stove out there, but it's simple, reliable, is easy to clean, and looks good.

Some of the pellet stoves get as much as 86% efficient, I think, but the more efficient stoves tend to be a lot more complex and a lot more expensive.