Author Topic: Firewood challenges  (Read 3603 times)

Kingcreek

• friend
Firewood challenges
« on: November 25, 2019, 09:35:48 AM »
Stuck saw, stuck jeep, no injuries yet version.
I haven't cut serious wood for 2-3 years and I really need to cut split and stack for next winter. I have 2 oak trees down on pasture ground owned by my cousin and 1 down on a neighbors pasture within 2 miles of me. I can get to them with the tractor and grapple. All are on hilly pasture.
Yesterday I came home from a 2.5 day conference in Chicago and I thought I would start one just to get outside and get some activity and fresh air. I went with the jeep and trailer and didn't think I would need the tractor yet. In case you didn't know, a storm downed tree is one big collection of energy, tension, compression, like springs and you can't always read the forces within.
I was doing pretty well breaking it down and cutting what I could on the outer parts working in toward the almost 40" trunk when I stuck the saw partway into a 24" cut. I pounded a wedge into it and it wasn't bad until it settled some more. Took the saw motor off and freed the bar BUT then I dropped a bar nut that bounced off my boot and skittered under the log (which is about 4' off the ground). Thought I had a spare in the case but apparently not. Lost in saw chips and leaves somewhere under a log that is popping and creaking and threatening to come down on me at any moment. I tried raking stuff around with a stick but the nut that I need to mount the bar with a spare chain to finish cutting and recover my first chain is gone forever.
I decided H with it, I'll come back another day. Had to turn the jeep and trailer around and there is a spring water seep that spreads out in 3 directions. I broke through the little bit of frost and sunk right there. Even with both diffs locked I had no movement, none. I had to call one of my only friends after walking to a hill top to get a cell signal. The cattle that were lounging happily in the feed lot on the south end all got curious and came to hang out around the stuck jeep while I was calling for help. 2 of them wanted to rub the mirrors off the jeep and I had to keep running them off while waiting. He eventually got there and got me out, mud to my knees, a very muddy jeep and an empty trailer and a saw in pieces.
I'm not going back until the ground freezes. And maybe I'll have a winch by then.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 10:16:05 AM by Kingcreek »
What we have here is failure to communicate.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Firewood challenges
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2019, 09:44:53 AM »
If I'm cutting more than a 5 minute walk from the shop I take 2 saws. I'll sometimes even take a bow saw. That's in addition to axes, wedges, splitting maul, chain, rope and a come-a-long.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2019, 09:46:23 AM »
In case you didn't know, a storm downed tree is one big collection of energy, tension, compression, like springs and you can't always read the forces within.

As a firewood new guy, man am I learning that. I haven't had any close calls yet, but I've definitely read some limbs wrong, even after watching bunches of youtube videos. I'm really learning to take my time, and wedges are my friends. There's been a few times now where I didn't want to take a chance, so wedged it, then instead of using the saw all the way, cut a little more and then used a chain + tractor power to bust off the rest of the limb.

I've got a Russian olive I'm taking all the way down to the stump that has a funky "double trunk": Two limbs coming out of the ground, both around a foot in diameter, and as customary with Russian olives, way twisty to where it'll be hard to figure out where gravity benefits me. I'll probably use the tractor on them as well.

We've got snow coming in over the next few days, then we're dropping down to a low of zero, high of 30 at the end of the week, so  I want to get some some downed and dried stuff cut today and tomorrow to help supplement my meager supply for this year. I've got about a half cord of live stuff cut and split (by hand - great exercise!  :laugh: ) for next year done already, but I'd like to work on getting up to two cords seasoning.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2019, 09:53:48 AM »
It's trickier than it sometimes looks. This is a big heavy oak on a side hill with the top tangled in another standing oak.
I have a tool box on the trailer and I had an axe and a 14" trim saw with me. Had several chains and a come along hanging in the shed at home.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2019, 09:57:30 AM »
My forays for firewood are to the local Lowe's to grab 8 to 10 40-lb. bags of wood pellets... Haven't gotten stuck in their parking lot yet.  :rofl:
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2019, 10:00:24 AM »
If I get one hung up I'll hook on to it and try drag it free with come-a-long, tractor or truck.  Trying to cut free a hung up tree is some risky stuff.
But always, 2 saws. One is none, two is one.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

grampster

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2019, 10:11:24 AM »
The only danger I face in heating the house is snagging my slipper on something as I approach the thermostat to turn it up. :rofl: :old:
I do appreciate all of those who heat with wood as it provides more natural gas for me to use.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2019, 10:11:50 AM »
Detcord.

No one has said detcord...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2019, 10:13:02 AM »
The only danger I face in heating the house is snagging my slipper on something as I approach the thermostat to turn it up. :rofl: :old:
I do appreciate all of those who heat with wood as it provides more natural gas for me to use.

Glad to know you want more natural gas. I'm making chili tonight, I think...

If I had natural gas at the house I never would have bought a pellet stove.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2019, 10:29:08 AM »
Detcord.

No one has said detcord...

Now that I live in a place where I can do it, I'm seriously thinking of getting one of those black powder stump splitter things just for fun. I have like 20lbs of BP that I was buying in CA when I thought they might ban import, so  I have a lot of "boom" to experiment with.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2019, 10:38:03 AM »
"I'm seriously thinking of getting one of those black powder stump splitter things..."

I have never heard of such a device.

But now that I have, SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2019, 10:48:20 AM »
Our region of NW Illinois has the highest rate of dying or down hardwood in the country. Lot of people going to wood furnaces and outside wood fired boilers and such that they are passing ordnances in cities and towns.
I have several offers of free wood for the cutting but I'm staying close enough to home that I can drive the tractor to it and handle it with the grapple loader and then trailer the logs home. I can cut split and stack it at home when it's convenient for me and the weather is decent.
And I can take a break anytime and go inside for coffee.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2019, 10:51:36 AM »
I sold my black powder with my muzzleloader but I might take some firecrackers with me next time just to keep the cattle away from my rig.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2019, 06:26:20 PM »
As a firewood new guy, man am I learning that. I haven't had any close calls yet, but I've definitely read some limbs wrong, even after watching bunches of youtube videos. I'm really learning to take my time, and wedges are my friends. There's been a few times now where I didn't want to take a chance, so wedged it, then instead of using the saw all the way, cut a little more and then used a chain + tractor power to bust off the rest of the limb.

I've got a Russian olive I'm taking all the way down to the stump that has a funky "double trunk": Two limbs coming out of the ground, both around a foot in diameter, and as customary with Russian olives, way twisty to where it'll be hard to figure out where gravity benefits me. I'll probably use the tractor on them as well.

We've got snow coming in over the next few days, then we're dropping down to a low of zero, high of 30 at the end of the week, so  I want to get some some downed and dried stuff cut today and tomorrow to help supplement my meager supply for this year. I've got about a half cord of live stuff cut and split (by hand - great exercise!  :laugh: ) for next year done already, but I'd like to work on getting up to two cords seasoning.

wait until you get your first barber chair
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2019, 06:43:17 PM »
wait until you get your first barber chair

Had to look that up...

https://youtu.be/9O7H9qWdquk

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2019, 08:51:48 PM »
Had to look that up...

That tree should of been dynamited instead of being cut.

Uranus is a gas giant.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2019, 09:48:02 PM »
Had to look that up...

They can let go a lot faster than that; the piece that springs up can take your head off.  As charby said, it should have been dynamited.  If that's not an option, wrap a logging chain around the trunk a foot or so above where you're about to cut. 
"It's good, though..."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2019, 10:59:54 PM »
Stuck saw, stuck jeep, no injuries yet version.
I haven't cut serious wood for 2-3 years and I really need to cut split and stack for next winter. I have 2 oak trees down on pasture ground owned by my cousin and 1 down on a neighbors pasture within 2 miles of me. I can get to them with the tractor and grapple. All are on hilly pasture.
Yesterday I came home from a 2.5 day conference in Chicago and I thought I would start one just to get outside and get some activity and fresh air. I went with the jeep and trailer and didn't think I would need the tractor yet. In case you didn't know, a storm downed tree is one big collection of energy, tension, compression, like springs and you can't always read the forces within.
I was doing pretty well breaking it down and cutting what I could on the outer parts working in toward the almost 40" trunk when I stuck the saw partway into a 24" cut. I pounded a wedge into it and it wasn't bad until it settled some more. Took the saw motor off and freed the bar BUT then I dropped a bar nut that bounced off my boot and skittered under the log (which is about 4' off the ground). Thought I had a spare in the case but apparently not. Lost in saw chips and leaves somewhere under a log that is popping and creaking and threatening to come down on me at any moment. I tried raking stuff around with a stick but the nut that I need to mount the bar with a spare chain to finish cutting and recover my first chain is gone forever.
I decided H with it, I'll come back another day. Had to turn the jeep and trailer around and there is a spring water seep that spreads out in 3 directions. I broke through the little bit of frost and sunk right there. Even with both diffs locked I had no movement, none. I had to call one of my only friends after walking to a hill top to get a cell signal. The cattle that were lounging happily in the feed lot on the south end all got curious and came to hang out around the stuck jeep while I was calling for help. 2 of them wanted to rub the mirrors off the jeep and I had to keep running them off while waiting. He eventually got there and got me out, mud to my knees, a very muddy jeep and an empty trailer and a saw in pieces.
I'm not going back until the ground freezes. And maybe I'll have a winch by then.

And bring a magnet with you.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2019, 07:34:50 AM »
I'd never heard of that term before, and have only ever seen one tree do that while being cut. Scary crap. Looks like, however, the biggest cause in this instance was that the tree was hollow.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2019, 09:51:26 AM »
A barber chair split can be an exiting and scary event. Any tree with a hard lean can do it and some kinds of trees are more likely than others. Walnut and hickory in my experience. First one to educate me was a smallish mulberry and it shattered and rocketed past me so fast I thought it had exploded. Missed be but taught me a little lesson. Been cutting wood for almost 40 years.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2019, 11:07:29 AM »
A barber chair split can be an exiting and scary event. Any tree with a hard lean can do it and some kinds of trees are more likely than others. Walnut and hickory in my experience. First one to educate me was a smallish mulberry and it shattered and rocketed past me so fast I thought it had exploded. Missed be but taught me a little lesson. Been cutting wood for almost 40 years.

Hackberry, green ash and silver maple have been my barber chairs.

Uranus is a gas giant.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2019, 01:17:17 PM »
Hackberry, green ash and silver maple have been my barber chairs.

I've got a fair sized Hackberry, about 24" at.the base, I want to take down this season it has about 6' of corkscrew coming up.from the base and a hard lean. Textbook barber chair with a twist. I'm gonna study on it some more. Only goob part is nothing but a few scrub trees for it to fall on.

Samuel Adams

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2019, 02:52:06 PM »
I've got a fair sized Hackberry, about 24" at.the base, I want to take down this season it has about 6' of corkscrew coming up.from the base and a hard lean. Textbook barber chair with a twist. I'm gonna study on it some more. Only goob part is nothing but a few scrub trees for it to fall on.

Too bad dynamite isn't available over the counter at the hardware store. Cut your felling notch and drill and insert a stick from the backside.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 03:11:14 PM by charby »

Uranus is a gas giant.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2019, 03:08:02 PM »
I helped cut a tree down with a belt-fed M60 once from about 60 yards away. Took a lot more rounds than you might think. approx 16" box elder IIRC

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2019, 06:23:45 PM »
Too bad dynamite isn't available over the counter at the hardware store. Cut your felling notch and drill and insert a stick from the backside.

I could probably persuade someone I know to do that for me but I want to try to saw a few boards out of the straight section above the twist.
And I don't know why I said Hackberry, it's a White Ash.

Samuel Adams