Author Topic: Satanists plan to apply the Hobby Lobby SCOTUS decision  (Read 4976 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Satanists plan to apply the Hobby Lobby SCOTUS decision
« on: July 30, 2014, 01:24:19 PM »
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/satanists-hobby-lobby-decision-play-devils-advocate/story?id=24772548

It will be very interesting to see just how narrowly drawn or applied the Hobby Lobby decision will turn out to be.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Satanists plan to apply the Hobby Lobby SCOTUS decision
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 01:48:25 PM »
If I was the Hobby Lobby people, as soon as .gov forced me to do something against my beliefs in order to stay in business I would close the doors. Big going out of business sale. Game over, do not pass go.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 01:50:03 PM »
(snip) W. James MacNaughton, The Satanic Temple's attorney (snip)

Does that make him the Devil's advocate?

And the article did make me laugh.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 02:16:49 PM »
Does that make him the Devil's advocate?

And the article did make me laugh.

Nice. Satan's Solicitor also has a certain ring to it...
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 02:29:29 PM »
Satanists have an objection to informed consent? I guess when you claim to serve the Father of Lies that is an internally consistent position...
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 02:56:00 PM »
Satanists have an objection to informed consent? I guess when you claim to serve the Father of Lies that is an internally consistent position...

The objection is strictly to the "mandatory" aspect. They'd want folks have the ability to opt out of being forced to watching/reading/listening to material. Allegedly, some states or areas have heavily politicized material.

I guess the analogy would be if gun grabbers made firearm training or information mandatory, and then was in charge of writing said material.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 03:04:58 PM »
The objection is strictly to the "mandatory" aspect. They'd want folks have the ability to opt out of being forced to watching/reading/listening to material. Allegedly, some states or areas have heavily politicized material.

I guess the analogy would be if gun grabbers made firearm training or information mandatory, and then was in charge of writing said material.

I think a better analogy would be truth in advertising or product labeling laws.

That being said, they're obviously just trolling. Which makes sense for a fake joke "religion."

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 03:35:13 PM »
That being said, they're obviously just trolling. Which makes sense for a fake joke "religion."

I think it is pretty smart: the courts are not thrilled to be in the position of deciding what religion is 'legitimate' and which is not.  If they meet the IRS guidelines of a religious organization, for example, it would be hard to argue that they are not entitled to the same protections and rights as are the Lutherans, the Seventh Day Adventists or the Scientologists.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 03:44:03 PM »
I guess I am missing how this ties with the Hobby Lobby decision.  Are the Satanists being forced to pay for the literature through some health care they provide?  Is there some extra part of that SC decision that goes further?  or is this just an empty story to grab headlines? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2014, 03:44:11 PM »
I'm curious as to how the Hobby Lobby decision has any bearing on this case whatsoever. Hobby Lobby (the decision) merely stated that individuals who organize as a closely held corporation do not give up their religious freedom rights under the Religious Freedom Restoration Act.

Are the members of the Satanic "chuch" closely held corporations?

(Edit: I see MechAg beat my question by 11 seconds.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2014, 03:52:49 PM »
I think it is pretty smart: the courts are not thrilled to be in the position of deciding what religion is 'legitimate' and which is not.  If they meet the IRS guidelines of a religious organization, for example, it would be hard to argue that they are not entitled to the same protections and rights as are the Lutherans, the Seventh Day Adventists or the Scientologists.

Are any other groups seeking to change informed consent laws?

I guess I am missing how this ties with the Hobby Lobby decision.  Are the Satanists being forced to pay for the literature through some health care they provide?  Is there some extra part of that SC decision that goes further?  or is this just an empty story to grab headlines? 

Ayup.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2014, 05:57:53 PM »
Are any other groups seeking to change informed consent laws?

Possibly, but those groups may not have standing under the RFRA, which is the primary point of the Satanists perhaps bringing some future action.  I suspect this is just trolling, but if you are going to hang this sort of trolling on a hook, the RFRA would be a good choice.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2014, 06:02:00 PM »
Possibly, but those groups may not have standing under the RFRA, which is the primary point of the Satanists perhaps bringing some future action.  I suspect this is just trolling, but if you are going to hang this sort of trolling on a hook, the RFRA would be a good choice.

RFRA doesn't give you carte blanche permission to force any laws you don't like to be changed for everyone. HL sued so they would not personally have to pay for something that violates their religious principles. These morans are suing to change a law that has no direct effect on their company because they think it makes them look clever.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2014, 08:56:57 PM »
These morans are suing to change a law that has no direct effect on their company because they think it makes them look clever.

One could make a good argument that that is the very same reason they chose to follow the "religion" they profess to follow; to show how clever they are.  Don't expect a serpent to act like anything except a serpent.

As an aside, I can't remember ever seeing quite so many comments attempting to argue by appealing to authority.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2014, 10:30:04 PM »
An imaginative attorney could postulate that Satanism is not a religion.  In fact Satanism would be the anti religion and thus have no standing in any religious argument.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2014, 11:50:22 PM »
Well, I can't say I'm displeased to have abortion-on-demand associated with Satanism. I hope this gets a lot of headlines. And, meh, maybe they'll get some laws changed, so that the info is offered, instead of mandated. The real issue is the hundreds of thousands being murdered each year, and we refuse to stop it.

There's an easy solution. Remove the religious issue by outlawing all discretionary abortions, for everybody. (Despite a much earlier thread, I don't actually want atheists (or Satanists) barred from having tots.)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 12:01:59 AM by fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

erictank

• friends
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2014, 09:16:20 AM »
An imaginative attorney could postulate that Satanism is not a religion.  In fact Satanism would be the anti religion and thus have no standing in any religious argument.

A corollary to that might be that those who do not observe a religion are not, in fact, free to do so.

Pretty sure that's not what Amendment 1 means, though.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2014, 12:19:37 PM »

http://www.irs.gov/Charities-&-Non-Profits/Churches-&-Religious-Organizations/Churches--Defined
http://www.irs.gov/irm/part4/irm_04-076-006.html

Courts (correctly) get hinky about defining what is or is not a religion. Any specific individual is free to believe any or all religions or churches is not a religion, obviously. But in a legal sense, if it's a church for tax reasons, it's a church. Otherwise, it's entirely subjective but not relevant.

A corollary to that might be that those who do not observe a religion are not, in fact, free to do so.

Pretty sure that's not what Amendment 1 means, though.

Wut?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2014, 03:35:25 PM »
Regardless, Hobby Lobby did not want to be required to pay for something that they felt was against their religious views.  The Satanists are trying to bypass informed consent requirements which is a bit different.  They are going to have to show why?  Unless there is something explicitly religious in the informed consent material, I doubt they will get far. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

onions!

• friend
  • Space for rent.
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2014, 04:12:13 PM »
I'm pretty sure there's a David Drake book or story(one of the Slammers maybe?) where all the religions but Satanism are gone.They end up being just normal folk.I wish I could remember the why,I think it was rather mundane.

Sorry,nothing useful to ad. ;)
jeff w

I like onions!

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2014, 04:46:50 PM »
Regardless, Hobby Lobby did not want to be required to pay for something that they felt was against their religious views.  The Satanists are trying to bypass informed consent requirements which is a bit different.  They are going to have to show why?  Unless there is something explicitly religious in the informed consent material, I doubt they will get far. 

Depends on the material and how it's presented. Dry medical facts about the various risks if the procedures? or scare tactics and pushing alternatives?

If it's the first, well, that's par for the course with all medical procedures, and fine. If it's the second, I will jump on board and say religious exception could be legit. Scaring and pushing at woman to make different choices based on a moral argument doesn't fly and can be seen as religion based requirements.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2014, 05:12:55 PM »
I'm pretty sure there's a David Drake book or story(one of the Slammers maybe?) where all the religions but Satanism are gone.They end up being just normal folk.I wish I could remember the why,I think it was rather mundane.

Sorry,nothing useful to ad. ;)

Close. Isolated Irish slowboat colony. Catholic, split into two factions, one side was denounced and/or excommunicated by the equivalent of the Congregation of the Doctrine of the Faith, the other side just rolled with it.

And yea, they basically ended up being Episcopalian version of Satanists.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2014, 05:35:16 PM »

I don't even see how they have standing, it's not like they're getting a surcharge for the informed consent material.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2014, 08:13:32 PM »
Close. Isolated Irish slowboat colony. Catholic, split into two factions, one side was denounced and/or excommunicated by the equivalent of the Congregation of the Doctrine of the Faith, the other side just rolled with it.

And yea, they basically ended up being Episcopalian version of Satanists.
It was from the March UpCountry series by David Weber and John Ringo.  One of the soldiers was from a planet of Satanists.  I remember it being a planet of Catholics where the church was the Govt and predictably became oppressive and everyone became anti-God after it was overthrown.  If I remember right, the were basically Christians with all the pronouns reversed. 

onions!

• friend
  • Space for rent.
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2014, 09:08:40 PM »
It was from the March UpCountry series by David Weber and John Ringo.  One of the soldiers was from a planet of Satanists.  I remember it being a planet of Catholics where the church was the Govt and predictably became oppressive and everyone became anti-God after it was overthrown.  If I remember right, the were basically Christians with all the pronouns reversed. 

O.K.,at least I got the Baen part right.It's been a decade and my noodles' been a little overcooked.
Thanks.
jeff w

I like onions!