Author Topic: A Rising Tide of Tide Thefts  (Read 10330 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: A Rising Tide of Tide Thefts
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2012, 05:03:32 PM »
You all are missing out on the reason it has become a "ghetto" currency.  It easily represents money.  A bottle is either $10 or $20 (depending) so it readily serves as a wealth transfer medium.

In a way this reminds of "The Economic Organization of a POW Camp"  from WWII.   Fascinating read if you have a bit of time.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2012, 05:48:11 PM »
You all are missing out on the reason it has become a "ghetto" currency.  It easily represents money.  A bottle is either $10 or $20 (depending) so it readily serves as a wealth transfer medium.

In a way this reminds of "The Economic Organization of a POW Camp"  from WWII.   Fascinating read if you have a bit of time.

A couple of years ago, I read a similar article in the WSJ about the 'mackerel economy' in Federal prison. 

http://www.economist.com/blogs/freeexchange/2012/03/currency?fsrc=gn_ep/

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2012, 06:19:29 PM »

Who's missing what?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2012, 01:29:53 AM »
If it is being stolen to sell how would you sell it? Is there already a market for that kind of stuff? "You got the stuff?" :laugh:
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2012, 01:47:54 AM »
If it is being stolen to sell how would you sell it? Is there already a market for that kind of stuff? "You got the stuff?" :laugh:

See, that's what I don't get... Why the hell does someone buy "blackmarket Tide" from some shady underworld figure when they could just go to the store and buy the generic stuff?

That's a lot of hassel for flipping laundry detergent.  ???
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2012, 01:58:37 AM »
See, that's what I don't get... Why the hell does someone buy "blackmarket Tide" from some shady underworld figure when they could just go to the store and buy the generic stuff?

It must be another indicator of living in a "food desert" - some place where you can't shop at SuperMegaGroceryDepartmentMart because you have no car and the bus does not go there.

At a time in my life I lived in one of those areas, and looked into shopping at the "convenience" store that seemed to serve the neighborhood.  Prices were 3x to 5x higher than at SuperMegaGroceryDepartmentMart and I considered selling rides there for $5 r/t -- until I considered a) who I would be allowing into my car, b) that they had been paying exhorbitant prices for their entire lives without complaint, and c) the probable reaction of the local market owner would most likely involve my kneecaps and a baseball bat.

What I don;t get is that there is no evidence that anybody is actually using the stuff for its intended purpose.  Nobody seems to be walking around and brighter and (forgive me) whiter than usual.

stay safe/
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2012, 02:04:12 AM »

What I don;t get is that there is no evidence that anybody is actually using the stuff for its intended purpose.  Nobody seems to be walking around and brighter and (forgive me) whiter than usual.

stay safe/

a keyboard, you owe
 :lol:
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2012, 03:27:04 AM »
So how long before laundry soap goes prescription only?

Will I get in trouble for having soap making supplies and soap precursors?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2012, 05:31:42 AM »
Hmmm.... why?

I read a long time ago that somwhow, you couldmake explosives out of certain laundry detergents.  This thread made me poke around a little more on that, but I can't see anything specific.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 12:12:36 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2012, 05:33:19 AM »
double post
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 12:12:56 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2012, 09:02:38 AM »

Exactly.  I don't buy Tide due to the cost.  The Consumer Reports tests showed the Wal-Mart house brand of liquid detergent performed pretty much just as well as Tide, for considerably cheaper.  Although I just recently bought, and am trying out, a new detergent called Charlie's Soap.  One tablespoon per load.  We will see how that works.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2012, 09:40:12 AM »
Along the same lines, I was talking with some friends at lunch a few days back and was surprised to find out from them that NASCAR has become a part of ghetto culture. No foolin'

Its not a big leap from wearing Tide 'colors' to stealing Tide for the 'just because' factor that AJ outlined.

I'm sort of surprised it took this long.

The colorful Idiocracy-like corporate logo-plastered team jackets are not any different than the "Donk" vehicles painted up with Lucky Charms, Skittles, or Newport cigarettes etc.

I promise not to duck.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2012, 11:16:29 AM »
The only think I can think of that might be close is toilet paper.  Charmin is expensive.

Does anyone actually BUY Charmin? I thought people just went to stores to squeeze it and get Mr. Whipple upset, then bought the store brand.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Lee

• friend
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2012, 07:38:29 PM »
After working with some Proctor and Gamble Marketing folks...I'm guessing they are behind it...somehow....someway. Probably spreading the word through PGhetto.com that the Cartels and the Bloods are smuggling cocaine into the country in Red detergent bottles.  A theft is a sale.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2012, 09:38:44 PM »
Does anyone actually BUY Charmin? I thought people just went to stores to squeeze it and get Mr. Whipple upset, then bought the store brand.

I live in P&G land. I remember a few years ago the local rag ran a story about Mr. Whipple not getting his yearly supply.  It was very embarrassing to P&G, they claimed some type of foul up and gave him his supply.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2012, 12:32:46 AM »
I live in P&G land. I remember a few years ago the local rag ran a story about Mr. Whipple not getting his yearly supply.

I'm guessing that Mr. Whipple didn't take that *expletive deleted*.

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2012, 10:24:51 AM »

DD

And that's another keyboard, that's owed....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2012, 11:15:17 AM »

DD

Nope he didn't take that *expletive deleted*it as I believe he contacted the local rag to embarrass P&G.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.