Author Topic: Looking for a low powered scope  (Read 9247 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Looking for a low powered scope
« on: August 21, 2013, 11:32:34 AM »
Gearing up for hunting season, and one thing I don't have is a decent scope. Between the local terrain and accepting my own limitations I don't plan on shooting at anything over 200ish yards away, and in the dense woods much closer shots are likely. I'm looking for something <2 power on the low end, 4-5 on the top end. Rugged, durable, and weather resistant are high priorities. Solid low light capability is also big. Price range is $2-300. And before anyone starts hassling me about needing to spend as much on the scope as on the gun, I'm putting it on a rifle I got essentially for free so...

I've heard good things about the Leupold VX1 with the heavy duplex reticle. Anyone else have good experiences in this price range?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Looking for a low powered scope
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 11:35:41 AM »
Don't we have a guy on this forum who sells scopes? I think he bundles them with the moccasins he sells. Do a search on "Moccasins" and I'm sure you'll recognize him.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 11:38:34 AM »
I'm very happy with my Leupold VX1 2-7x32.  It has been on my deer rifle since 2003. 

I haven't needed to shoot a deer over 50yds either. 

I've heard good things about the Redfield Revenge scopes and bought a 3-9x40 for my 300WM.  I looked at Nikons, but the Redfield was clearer in the store.  FWIW, Redfield is owned by Leupold and has the same lifetime warranty.

Chris

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 11:42:21 AM »
How do you like the 2-7 for close in work? I know it's probably irrational, but I used a fixed magnification acog in Iraq and hated not being able to drop it to no magnification for close in work. Although hunting and clearing houses probably aren't really all that related, it's just a mental block for me.

And come to think of it that may have been the 4power model, so maybe a 2 wouldn't be an issue for me...

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 11:44:38 AM »
Leupold FX series if you want fixed power, VX if you want variable.  Hard to go wrong there.

Also, check out their VX-Hog.  I didn't know it existed until a couple minutes ago.  1-4x with a surprisingly small profile.  One of those on a 450 Marlin carbine would be brutally effective hog medicine, not to mention fast to shoulder or easy to quickly maneuver out of the truck.

Dick carries Leupold.  Give him a call.

Brad
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 11:52:32 AM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 11:46:56 AM »
I have a Leupold FX-II 4x33 that has been a good scope.

It's quite durable.  It's been mounted to a Springfield M1A Scout and rattled around in the back of a truck on some really rough forest roads in eastern Arizona near the Mogillon Rim, and kept zero fine (the mount didn't keep zero, but that's another story... tighten the mount up again and the rifle was back to zero give or take a minute).

It's been mounted on an Armscorp M14, also, using a different M14 pattern receiver mount (previous one was an ARMS #18, this one is an SEI).  Also less than impressed with the mount stability, but the scope stays true as long as the mount doesn't move.

It's been mounted on an American Spirit AR-15 20" upper and been a nice little setup on there, though that rifle now sports an ACOG instead of the FX-II.

Right now it's waiting for a new rifle to sit on top of.  Some day I'll happen upon a little private party left handed Savage or Remington .308 that would be perfect for this guy, and it sits in my safe waiting for that day.

I'm a big fan of low magnification, fixed power scopes.  I have 4 of them... the ACOG, this FX-II, a cheap chicom ACOG knockoff on my .22 AR, and a Bushnell 4x32 (basically a low-end copy of the FX-II) on a .22 savage autoloader.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 12:03:30 PM »
How do you like the 2-7 for close in work? I know it's probably irrational, but I used a fixed magnification acog in Iraq and hated not being able to drop it to no magnification for close in work. Although hunting and clearing houses probably aren't really all that related, it's just a mental block for me.

And come to think of it that may have been the 4power model, so maybe a 2 wouldn't be an issue for me...

The shortest shot I've taken was at about 15yds.  Other than forgetting to compensate for my POA being higher than my POI at that range (rifle sighted in dead on at 100yds, shot went low, missing the spine on a neck shot), it was fine.  The deer dropped, but I had to give it a 2nd shot to kill it.  Plenty of FOV for the shot(s).

Chris

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 12:05:28 PM »
This is what the 2-7x32 VX1 looks like on my rifle:

Chris

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013, 12:07:06 PM »
The nice thing about the 2-7 vs the 1-4 is that it's 32mm vs 20mm. I wonder how signifigant the difference would be in terms of light gathering?

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2013, 12:09:38 PM »
The shortest shot I've taken was at about 15yds.  Other than forgetting to compensate for my POA being higher than my POI at that range (rifle sighted in dead on at 100yds, shot went low, missing the spine on a neck shot), it was fine.  The deer dropped, but I had to give it a 2nd shot to kill it.  Plenty of FOV for the shot(s).

Chris

A fixed 4x would probably work fine, except no self respecting hunter would be caught dead with such an antique  :lol:

I once had a whitetail buck sneak up on me to about 15 yards.  All I could see was his chest but he dropped DRT (.243).  I suppose I should have shot him in the eyeball or something.  Last year I went back to open sights (different rifle) but didn't happen to get one.  I was working most of the time, and only hunting on my own property.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Re: Looking for a low powered scope
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2013, 12:09:59 PM »
In that price I'm sticking with a Nikon buckmasters or the vortex offering in that price range.

On my phone and exact model escapes me.

Personally imo there are much better scopes for the money than the low end leupolds.

Sent via tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2013, 12:55:18 PM »

Buddy has a Leupold 1-4x variable on his rifle and I thought it pretty spiffy.  I contemplated getting a custom version with the post reticle and than we had another kid....
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

HankB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2013, 01:18:41 PM »
I have an older Leupold 1x4 . . . good durable scope, clear optics, but the eye relief does change a bit when zooming.

How do you like the 2-7 for close in work? I know it's probably irrational, but I used a fixed magnification acog in Iraq and hated not being able to drop it to no magnification for close in work. Although hunting and clearing houses probably aren't really all that related, it's just a mental block for me . . .
Within reason, how well a 'scope is suited for close in work is as much a function of how well the rifle fits you as it is the 'scope magnification. If you can bring the rifle to your shoulder and the reticle is right there on whatever your target is, you're in good shape; if you have to screw around a bit, moving the rifle, your eye, whatever in order to get everything lined up, you're going to have a problem making a quick snap shot.

Much is written about shotgun fit, but rifle fit is important, too.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2013, 04:15:53 PM »
I really like Burris for a cheap priced scope. I have a 2-7x33 on my muzzle loader and I kill deer from 10-150 yards with it, I paid $99 for it on sale, you can find them for $139-$150 on sale if you search the internets. I really think Burris optics are very undervalued, I also have a 3-9x40 on my .243 rifle.

Here is a snap shot I took of it late season ML season. 

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2013, 04:30:28 PM »
Thanks Charby, I'll look into Burris. Have you done any comparisons with other models? Gets confusing with so many different options.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2013, 04:37:08 PM »
Thanks Charby, I'll look into Burris. Have you done any comparisons with other models? Gets confusing with so many different options.

I own Nikon, Burris and an old Weaver. I think the both of my Burris is the brightest.

How far do you live away from a big box outdoor store like Cabelas, Bass Pro or Sportsmans Warehouse? They all have a way you can look through various scopes.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2013, 06:48:48 PM »
Take a look at the Weaver 1-3x20 too, I've got two of them and wouldn't hesitate to get another if I needed one. Weight is under 9oz, and it's got the widest range of eye relief of any scope I've ever looked through, from cut your eyebrow to scout setup. Here's one on my lightweight AR:

A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2013, 06:59:28 PM »
I'm also a fan of low power variable scopes.

I've got one of these on my favorite Marlin 336
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/791324/leupold-vx-3-rifle-scope-15-5x-20mm-duplex-reticle-matte

And I've got one of these on a Henry .22

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/183610/weaver-classic-v-series-rifle-scope-1-3x-20mm-dual-x-reticle-matte

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one of either.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2013, 07:02:58 PM »
Larry, do you notice much difference between the two in clarity and usefulness in low light?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2013, 07:24:05 PM »
I gotta give the Leupold the edge overall but the Weaver is no Tasco slouch.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2013, 07:47:45 PM »
Did you know that your pet deer has a bloody nose?
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2013, 09:37:46 PM »
Did you know that your pet deer has a bloody nose?

In that picture she was just a shell of her former self.

Samuel Adams

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2013, 11:02:46 PM »
In that picture she was just a shell of her former self.

So she didn't have the guts to stand up for herself?

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2013, 11:37:08 PM »
I run a Swift 1.5-4.5x32 on my Ruger #1S in .45-70.  It will handle the recoil of my 500gr thumper loads, no problem.

That was my biggest criteria for selection, some variable-power scopes really don't like a heavy thump. 

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2013, 11:53:34 PM »
A fixed 4x would probably work fine, except no self respecting hunter would be caught dead with such an antique 

Good thing I have no respect for myself!!!!  :P

A 1976 Ruger M77. Weaver K4W. Still works, why putz with it?  ;)

bob