Author Topic: $145,000 verdict for shot hunting dog  (Read 4758 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: $145,000 verdict for shot hunting dog
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2014, 01:24:49 AM »
He's paying a suitable penalty for that.]

I disagree. Far too light.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2014, 02:40:50 AM »
Assuming the law in AR is the same as CSD said in VA, and Charby said in IA, then it sounds like the hunters were 100% within the law, and not illegally trespassing.  Especially once the dogs were leashed and the hunters trying to leave he should have let them go.  Shooting the dog was rightly judged criminal, and I agree that 6 months in the pokey and $145k is getting off easy. 

That guy sounds like my neighbor.
Formerly sumpnz

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2014, 04:29:34 AM »
We used to pen up the deer hounds, give them a snack and wait for the owners to come explain themselves. We don't shoot dogs, just another animal following a learned behavior with no capacity for decisions of right/wrong. Now the guys that drove down 1/2 mile of private road knew right from wrong and they had the worst mechanical luck with their trucks.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Sawdust

• friend
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2014, 10:17:32 AM »
We used to pen up the deer hounds, give them a snack and wait for the owners to come explain themselves. We don't shoot dogs, just another animal following a learned behavior with no capacity for decisions of right/wrong. Now the guys that drove down 1/2 mile of private road knew right from wrong and they had the worst mechanical luck with their trucks.

Leaky tires?

Sawdust
Retain what's coming in; send off what is retreating.

Well, you going to pull those pistols boy,
or just whistle Dixie?

I'm your huckleberry.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2014, 10:26:56 AM »
The landowner just really wanted to shoot the dogs.

If he'd shot them before the hunters got there, he probably could have gotten away with it.  He wanted to shoot them in front of the owners.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2014, 10:38:19 AM »
If he'd shot them before the hunters got there, he probably could have gotten away with it.  He wanted to shoot them in front of the owners.

Ordering the hunters at gunpoint to step away from their dogs so he could shoot them raises it to armed robbery IMO  :mad:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2014, 12:36:24 PM »
I was thinking he probably could have gotten a trespassing complaint on them, but once he shot the leashed dog, it all falls on his head.  That is just wrong.  I agree he could have shot the dogs before they got there, but even then, it sounds like they weren't threatening him. 

That said, an uncle used to be a ranch manager for a rich guy on 800 acres near where I grew up.  It was mostly light woods with some pasture.  He said if they have seen packs of dogs (as many as 15 or 20) running through that land at night, some wearing tags, some not.  He said they shot as many of them as they could before they ran off.  They would generally take off at the sight of people.  Hunting dogs like this especially when the owners are right there is a whole different story.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2014, 01:59:33 PM »
I know ranchers in MT that have a zero tolerance for stray dogs: shoot on sight.

Makes sense when your livelihood is at stake.  One calf might be one percent of your annual gross revenue, but if your profit is only five or ten percent then one calf is a lot.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re:
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2014, 05:21:08 PM »
In va shooting dogs harassing livestock is kosher. As it should be

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2014, 05:38:52 PM »
Yep, but unless they do things differently there and a raccoon is considered livestock :)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2014, 05:39:04 PM »
I know ranchers in MT that have a zero tolerance for stray dogs: shoot on sight.

Makes sense when your livelihood is at stake.  One calf might be one percent of your annual gross revenue, but if your profit is only five or ten percent then one calf is a lot.

And I completely agree with that. I'm still struggling to comprehend shooting a dog, where the owner is holding the leash. Just crazy...
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2014, 05:46:16 PM »
And I completely agree with that. I'm still struggling to comprehend shooting a dog, where the owner is holding the leash. Just crazy...

Same here.  I've already said that what this person did constitutes armed robbery.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2014, 06:19:21 PM »
Same here.  I've already said that what this person did constitutes armed robbery.

Agreed, and considering the worth of some of those hunting dogs...
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2014, 10:29:06 AM »
Got no problem with folks shooting strays in rural settings on GP.  Or obviously owned/collared dogs that are posing a danger to person/livestock/property.

But shooting a leased dog under control of its owner is asinine.  WTF, over?  Also, owner--who looks like he gave zero indication of threat and did his best to comply with laws-- was downrange of the firearm as it discharged and dispatched the dog.  But, lack of gun safety seems to be Nutball's least offense.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2014, 10:37:08 AM »
But shooting a leased dog under control of its owner is asinine.

What about dogs that are under a financing contract?  :P

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2014, 05:53:18 PM »
What about dogs that are under a financing contract?  :P

Well, I guess you gotta insure and take care of them just like leased autos until the lease is up. 
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2014, 01:43:18 AM »
Hmmm... wonder if Chris could give us a complete list of possible criminal charges here

I count at least reckless endangerment, assault w/deadly weapon, possible attempted murder (if you REALLY want to get hardcore)
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2014, 11:04:09 AM »
Hmmm... wonder if Chris could give us a complete list of possible criminal charges here

I count at least reckless endangerment, assault w/deadly weapon, possible attempted murder (if you REALLY want to get hardcore)

We are forgetting .....   :facepalm:

Terrorism!   >:D