Author Topic: found my new computer...at a garage sale!  (Read 923 times)

geronimotwo

• friend
found my new computer...at a garage sale!
« on: August 14, 2010, 07:41:01 AM »
saw the sign and figured i would see what they had.  thrill of the hunt and all.  on top of a bunch of clothes was an acer am1100-ud4000a tower and keyboard.  4000+ amd athlon x2, 250g hd, 1g ram, ati radeon 1250 built in graphics (allocated with 250m of the ram),  vista os, and more usb ports than i'll ever use.  the owners were selling it as the monitor had died and they had bought a whole new system.  not the newest or the fastest, but at $10 it is perfect for me!  full specs here:  

http://www.superwarehouse.com/Acer_Aspire_M1100-UD4000A_Desktop/AM1100-UD4000A/ps/1505403

superwarehouseshows the mem upgradable to 8g (4 slots available) although acer only gives specs for the "m1100" at 4g max.  is it better to get a single 8g card, or evenly distribute over the slots? does anyone know what voltage the acer memory takes? should the memory all be the same brand, or speed?

does anyone know any reason why i shouldn't put a few dollars into this, or have suggestions on the best place to put my money for upgrades?  i was thinking i would upgrade the mem to 2x2gb ddr2 for now, and get a new monitor as mine is an old 16" hp crt, and would help sell my old tower.  later i may get a dedicated graphics card, and a 64 bit os, depending on performance.  need a new mouse as well, as mine is getting worn out.  anybody have anything they want to clear out? or, has anyone seen any good deals out there?   i had been looking at an $800 dell system, but should be able to keep this to a fraction of that.

ps;  just found a well lubed korean 12ga single shot for $5.  love those garage sales!

« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 08:57:06 AM by geronimotwo »
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: found my new computer...at a garage sale!
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 11:30:53 AM »
I just got one for free - so there!   :P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 03:13:41 PM »
Ten bucks?  Not bad at all.  First, get a decent LCD monitor of a size that meets your needs.  Then, fill the memory slots with matched DRAM pairs up to the maximum amount that you want.  That way you can take advantage of the dual channel capability of the board.  It will be a little faster that way.
After that, put a good video card in it if you intend to do anything that requires serious video capability.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2010, 03:26:59 PM »
So you got a beater computer?  Big deal.

However, I hate you because you also got a beater shotgun.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2010, 10:36:02 PM »
Ten bucks?  Not bad at all.  First, get a decent LCD monitor of a size that meets your needs.  Then, fill the memory slots with matched DRAM pairs up to the maximum amount that you want.  That way you can take advantage of the dual channel capability of the board.  It will be a little faster that way.
After that, put a good video card in it if you intend to do anything that requires serious video capability.

i'm thinking 20"-23" will be a big improvement over what i have.  anyone looking to get rid of some matching ddr2 ram?   i,ll throw an add in the classified section.  so far the only real video needs i have are watching tv/movies, but i keep toying with the idea of buying a digital camcorder, so possibly editing home movies would be later.

So you got a beater computer?  Big deal.

However, I hate you because you also got a beater shotgun.

stay safe.

did i mention it was only $5.  nya-nya!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 06:57:13 AM by geronimotwo »
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2