Author Topic: Sigh, more car issues  (Read 1276 times)

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
Sigh, more car issues
« on: August 17, 2016, 11:04:42 PM »
Came home tonight noticing that the temp gauge on the Camry ('97, 215k miles) was riding a little high, especially after re-starting from a brief shut-down (stopped at the store on the way home), and then coming back down.  Classic tell-tale of being low on coolant.  Praying that it wasn't a blown head gasket, popped the hood and saw this:

I've changed a radiator before and as I recall it's pretty straight forward.  Drain coolant, disconnect hoses, remove fans, have something to stopper the transmission fluid lines when they're disconnected if I'm not going to drain that anyway, unbolt the old radiator, bolt in the new one and then reverse the process, bleed air from coolant lines, and it's done.  Am I missing anything important?  I'll probably replace the coolant hoses since they have to all come off anyway.
Formerly sumpnz

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Sigh, more car issues
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 11:14:12 PM »
Water pump and thermostat if they are easy to get to with the radiator and fans out.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2016, 11:16:52 PM »
Water pump and thermostat if they are easy to get to with the radiator and fans out.

Did both of those with the timing belt about 27k miles ago.  Water pump requires basically doing the timing belt, so that ain't happening right now.  I could do the thermostat with this job if I wanted to, but it's basically still new, and working well, so I'll probably leave it alone.
Formerly sumpnz

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2016, 12:36:54 AM »
So, it's almost half the cost to buy the new radiator online vs local auto parts stores.  But that would take close to a week to get the parts if I order online, unless I pay for expedited shipping.

Is there anything that would work well on a split like what I have in that plastic as a Band-aid for a week so I can save a ton on parts costs?  I do have Marine Goop, but I'm not sure that'll withstand the temperatures and pressures.
Formerly sumpnz

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2016, 12:52:26 AM »
epoxy might hold for a while.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2016, 01:22:23 AM »
Found the same parts on Amazon.  With Prime I'll get them by Friday, and for slightly less than Rockauto which would have taken until mid/late next week to get here.  The local parts stores would have been a solid $40 more at best.

So, no need to Band-aid the car.  With parts coming Friday I'll just either take the mini-van, or have SWMBO drop me off and pick me back up from work tomorrow and Friday.
Formerly sumpnz

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2016, 08:07:10 AM »
So, it's almost half the cost to buy the new radiator online vs local auto parts stores.  But that would take close to a week to get the parts if I order online, unless I pay for expedited shipping.

Is there anything that would work well on a split like what I have in that plastic as a Band-aid for a week so I can save a ton on parts costs?  I do have Marine Goop, but I'm not sure that'll withstand the temperatures and pressures.
Paging KD5NRH, KD5NRH to the courtesy phone please
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2016, 08:23:05 AM »
Gorilla tape.
JB Weld.
Stop leak.
Black pepper.
Chewing gum.

That'll buff right out.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2016, 10:53:57 AM »
I could do the thermostat with this job if I wanted to, but it's basically still new, and working well, so I'll probably leave it alone.

They're usually cheap.  Grab a spare anyway.  Never hurts to be prepared for any issues you might find while you have the coolant drained.

Paging KD5NRH, KD5NRH to the courtesy phone please

If anything will do it, JB Weld will.  I'd mash it into the leaks a bit, wait an hour or two, then smear a good bit over the top.  Let it cure at least 10-12 hours before driving, carry premixed coolant, (mix it yourself; I can't advocate paying 80% of the price of unmixed for 50% water) and watch the gauge like a hawk.