Author Topic: Lugar sent packing.  (Read 6136 times)

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Lugar sent packing.
« on: May 08, 2012, 09:15:42 PM »
"Bring back the assault weapon ban" Lugar sent back to private sector.

More than likely retiring with a kings pension.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2012/05/08/mourdock_defeats_lugar_in_indiana_senate_race.html
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 09:20:44 PM by Ron »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Lugar sent packing.
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 09:54:21 PM »

You know, I feel like laughing maniacally but using a picture of Mr. Burns is unfair to Sen. Lugar. After all he probably went to school with Mr. Burns....... 's older brother.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 11:20:13 PM »
Burns creates jobs. Burns is of value to society.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 10:02:10 AM »
I was listening to the radio this morning, and heard about this...  Brought a smile to my face, as I had heard many not so good things about Mr. Lugar.

Then I just about had a conniption when I heard that "it was an end to a 36 year career"....

Thirty.  Six.  [unprintable unmentionable censored censored CENSORED!!!!] Years?

Yeah, I know there are other idiots who have spent even longer feeding at the government trough.  And only some of those are welfare idjits.  Why the [censored] do we tolerate these useless sacks of [unprintable] being "public servants"  [barf] for their entire [censored] lives???? 

:mad: :facepalm:
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 10:05:59 AM »
I was listening to the radio this morning, and heard about this...  Brought a smile to my face, as I had heard many not so good things about Mr. Lugar.

Then I just about had a conniption when I heard that "it was an end to a 36 year career"....

Thirty.  Six.  [unprintable unmentionable censored censored CENSORED!!!!] Years?

Yeah, I know there are other idiots who have spent even longer feeding at the government trough.  And only some of those are welfare idjits.  Why the [censored] do we tolerate these useless sacks of [unprintable] being "public servants"  [barf] for their entire [censored] lives???? 

:mad: :facepalm:

Because we have a system that is disfuctional. The one failing of the Founding Fathers was their reliance on custom to avoid a permanent ruling class. We had to rectify part of that failing after Franklin Delano "You can have the oval office when you pry my cold dead corpse out of my wheelchair" Roosevelt. We need to further rectify the problem with an Amendment coving the House of Representatives and the Senate.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 10:28:04 AM »
We need to further rectify the problem with an Amendment coving the House of Representatives and the Senate.
I've been an advocate for this idea for a long time, but I'm wondering if there would be unintended consequences.  Suddenly you've got a good chunk of Congress lame ducking the hell out of us all the time. 
(And how exactly is that different than what we typically have now, given the R's vote for R's and the D's vote for D's lest the others get in?) 
Good point other me, but in a group not particularly known for their ethics not having some element of electoral fear would be kind of scary.
(So your solution is status quo?)
No, other me.  I think we need serious consequences to be associated with - for instance - voting for a law that is shown to be unconstitutional.  Say, felony conviction, a couple of years in prison and prohibition from future service.  Convicted of taking bribes?  Fifteen years hard labor, maybe?  Something sufficient to inspire lawmakers to think a few times about their decisions - and maybe even read their bills before passing them.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 10:44:11 AM »
What I found amusing were MANY of the comments at various on-line sources . . . mostly liberals and democrats mourning the passage of a "Moderate Republican" who would "Compromise for the good of the country" and his loss to "right wing extremist tea baggers." who'd "hijacked" the GOP.

Gee, you'd think they'd lost one of their own.

=D
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 10:49:19 AM »
I've been an advocate for this idea for a long time, but I'm wondering if there would be unintended consequences.  Suddenly you've got a good chunk of Congress lame ducking the hell out of us all the time. 
(And how exactly is that different than what we typically have now, given the R's vote for R's and the D's vote for D's lest the others get in?) 
Good point other me, but in a group not particularly known for their ethics not having some element of electoral fear would be kind of scary.
(So your solution is status quo?)
No, other me.  I think we need serious consequences to be associated with - for instance - voting for a law that is shown to be unconstitutional.  Say, felony conviction, a couple of years in prison and prohibition from future service.  Convicted of taking bribes?  Fifteen years hard labor, maybe?  Something sufficient to inspire lawmakers to think a few times about their decisions - and maybe even read their bills before passing them.

Not all of the congress would be lame-ducked all the time. All may have aspirations for future careers, too.

I don't think we've seen any serious problems with lame-duck presidents, and I doubt there would be too many with legislators. It may be a concern, but I'm willing to try out term limits to at least discover what the unintended consequences would be.

My hope is one of the consequences would be bills that are understandable to the majority of the country rather than so long and convoluted (purposely) that only lawyers know what it says and none are fully certain what it actually means.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 11:20:09 AM »
If we don't want politicians to treat Congress as just another career, we need to quit tolerating those things that make it a "real job." No benefits. No retirement plan. No health care. If some stalwart statesman is such a great guy that the people keep electing him for forty years, then they should support him in his old age, too. For the rest, if they have the ambition to make it to Capitol Hill for a few terms, they should be able to work out their own retirement and hospital bills, etc.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 11:28:01 AM »
So what are Richard Mourdock's chances in the election?

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2012, 11:45:07 AM »

Pretty good.  He more has name recognition (even more then he had before), Indiana is a fairly conservative state and the R's will fund him because they don't want to lose the seat, even though their fair-haired boy lost the primary.  (Full disclosure: I live in Indianapolis when Lugar was Mayor!!!  Granted I was 10.)

So unless he's caught in bed with a live man or dead woman, he'll probably win.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2012, 12:18:52 PM »
What I found amusing were MANY of the comments at various on-line sources . . . mostly liberals and democrats mourning the passage of a "Moderate Republican" who would "Compromise for the good of the country" and his loss to "right wing extremist tea baggers." who'd "hijacked" the GOP.

Gee, you'd think they'd lost one of their own.

=D

Every day that goes by, I understand the European/Latin American/Asian tradition of running around in the street smacking people who's politics you don't like with sticks a little better.
I promise not to duck.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2012, 01:30:48 PM »
I think we need serious consequences to be associated with - for instance - voting for a law that is shown to be unconstitutional.  Say, felony conviction, a couple of years in prison and prohibition from future service.  Convicted of taking bribes?  Fifteen years hard labor, maybe?  Something sufficient to inspire lawmakers to think a few times about their decisions - and maybe even read their bills before passing them.

Not that I haven't strongly advocated this for years, with only slight variations on the punishments involved. Very slight.

I too, would like to experiment with mandatory term limits and/or strict benefits limitations for elected representatives at every level of politics, even though I am wary of untintended consequences. 

That dog needs some training with a choke collar, I tell you true.

"Heel!"

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 02:01:00 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2012, 01:48:26 PM »
Prior to winning he was polling about even with the Democratic challenger.  Lugar would have been an easy win over the Democrat at the price of having Lugar in office.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2012, 05:32:08 PM »
Direct election of senators was a major mistake the collective has made.  Making the care, feeding, and maintenance of a state's senators the responsibility of the state would go a long way in righting the boat.  A senator in my view should be an employee of their state.  Salaries, benefits, expenses all should be under the thumb of each state's legislature.  Let the state decide how they are elected whether by state level election as is today, legislative elections, governor appointment with legislature approval . . . I don't really care.  What I do care about is the entity called a "state" regaining its seat at the table.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2012, 06:10:48 PM »
Direct election of senators was a major mistake the collective has made.  Making the care, feeding, and maintenance of a state's senators the responsibility of the state would go a long way in righting the boat.  A senator in my view should be an employee of their state.  Salaries, benefits, expenses all should be under the thumb of each state's legislature.  Let the state decide how they are elected whether by state level election as is today, legislative elections, governor appointment with legislature approval . . . I don't really care.  What I do care about is the entity called a "state" regaining its seat at the table.

Power only respects greater power.Reducing the states' power has resulted in fed.gov having a freer hand.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2012, 07:26:07 PM »
read their bills before passing them

The Supreme Court would probably rule that to be cruel and unusual punishment  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2012, 09:21:25 PM »
The Supreme Court would probably rule that to be cruel and unusual punishment  ;/
Sometimes I guess I say some extreme things when I get emotional about an issue.  Sorry.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2012, 03:15:56 PM »
Not enough zombie votes?
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2012, 03:47:10 PM »
I read somewhere that he had not lived in IN. since 1977.
Maybe those folks were tired of an absent representative....I would have been for only that.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2012, 09:57:22 PM »
I read somewhere that he had not lived in IN. since 1977.
Maybe those folks were tired of an absent representative....I would have been for only that.
The funny part was that Secretary of State Charlie White was convicted of six counts of felony voter fraud for essentially the same thing.  Lugar claimed protection from a law intended to protect members of the US military on deployment.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2012, 10:26:34 PM »
So unless he's caught in bed with a live man or dead woman, he'll probably win.

Shame things like that only seems to be a disqualifier for Republicans.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2012, 10:36:16 PM »
Shame things like that only seems to be a disqualifier for Republicans.

The price you pay for not being progressive on traditional, historical moral values.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.