Author Topic: Favorite Holiday Movies?  (Read 2488 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Favorite Holiday Movies?
« on: November 21, 2006, 04:34:05 PM »
What are your favorite holiday movies?

For me, every year the Sunday after T-Day, "A Christmas Story" gets viewed. Can never get enough of "Fra-gil-e" and "You'll shoot your eye out!"  Smiley

I also usually watch "Three Godfathers" and the original "A Christmas Carol".
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Sergeant Bob

• friend
Re: Favorite Holiday Movies?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2006, 04:58:33 PM »
I like "Tombstone" and
"Its a Wonderful Life".
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2006, 05:27:10 PM »
Christmas Vacation!  We watch it every year while decorating the tree.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

crt360

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2006, 11:19:12 AM »
I'd have to put Christmas Vacation high on my list.  I also watch "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" (the old animated one, not the Jim Carey muppet-looking one) every year.  Not movies, but "A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving" and "A Charlie Brown Christmas" are two of my all time favorites.
For entertainment purposes only.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2006, 11:19:43 AM »
Christmas Vacation and A Christmas Story.

My "Daisy Red Ryder lever action 300 shot carbine" was actually a surfboard, but I felt so akin to Ralphie in the movie anyway.

It wasn't "You'll shoot your eye out" it was "You'll get hit in the head with the surfboard and drown."

Great movies!

"Worse?! How can things get any worse?! Look around you Ellen, we're at the threshold of hell!" Clark Griswold, Christmas Vacation
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

Cosmoline

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2006, 12:12:01 PM »
"Winter War" is a holiday favorite of mine, along with "The Thing."  The remind me of family get-togethers gone by.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2006, 06:28:50 AM »
I've gotta go with Christmas Vacation, A Christmas Story, and Scrooged.....

grin
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2006, 06:34:05 AM »
Silent Night, Deadly Night is a real heartwarmer...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Vodka7

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2006, 07:22:16 AM »
Muppet's Christmas Carol.  My brother and I have been watching it at least once a year every year since it came out.  We wore through the VHS tape when we were kids and now we've both got it on DVD.  Aside from that, The Nightmare Before Christmas.  Another vote for Christmas Vacation.

And I certainly wouldn't call it a holiday movie, but when we're all together watching movies on those cold December nights, Terminator 2 seems to get played just about every year too.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2006, 09:35:42 AM »
Everyone is recommending Christmas Vacation. I can't believe I've never seen it. Better put it in my Netflix Queue!

Silent Night, Deadly Night is a real heartwarmer...

Christmas at Irwin's house must be pretty bizarro...  laugh
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2006, 01:30:26 PM »
Is there a holiday coming up??  grin
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

DJJ

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2006, 01:53:40 PM »
"Planes, Trains, and Automobiles"

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2006, 11:04:59 AM »
Okay, just watched Christmas Vacation. That was pretty darn funny. Cheesy

Strings

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2006, 10:09:30 PM »
>Christmas at Irwin's house must be pretty bizarro...<

Doesn't the above kinda suggest that there's a time of year that ISN'T bizarro at the Irwin residence?

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2006, 01:33:37 AM »
My problem is I've seen all of those one time too many. I'll opt for "A Clockwork Orange" just cause I like the movie and I haven't seen it in a while. It should be up on the Family Channel any day now.  shocked

grin
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2006, 04:34:24 AM »
I really love "It's a Wonderful Life."  It seems to get a lot of flak from young whippersnappers like me, though.  Anybody know why?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2006, 05:10:01 AM »
I usually watch

Christmas Vacation
Miracle on 34th Street (old version)
Its a Wonderful Life
A Christmas Story

Something tells me the Irwin household is a Christmas with a Yule Log, Wassle, Eggnog, Chesnuts and the rest of the cheeseball Christmas crap you hear about in songs.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2006, 06:11:06 AM »
I really love "It's a Wonderful Life."  It seems to get a lot of flak from young whippersnappers like me, though.  Anybody know why?

It's completely off the schmaltz meter.

Despite the fact that it's become such a beloved classic, It's a Wonderful Life wasn't that much of a success when it first came out.

Frank Capra was trying to make an homage to the American way of life and a return to better times after the Depression and World War II. What he didn't realize, though, was that those events had fundamentally changed how people viewed the nation and the world.

It also received a LOT of criticism from many directions, including the FBI, for some of its political messages. The big one was the anti-urbanization, another one was portrayal of Mr. Potter, the forward-looking industrialist, as a grasping, greedy, sickly old man.

Like the Wizard of Oz, though, It's a Wonderful Life slowly came to grow legs. The criticisms fell away, and all that remained was a look at life in a small town, the kind of life that many people came to actively miss through the expansion and dislocation of the 1950s, the social turmoil of the 1960s, and the hard economic times of the 1970s.

I think where It's a Wonderful Life got its biggest boost in popularity was from Ronald Reagan. His presidency was an unabashed look back to the past to find the simpler times that made America what it is.

Maybe a bunch of bunk, but you know, it's fun bunk.

Oh, and every time a bell rings?

Mtnbkr's daughter rips the arms off a Gingerbread Man...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2006, 06:18:21 AM »
For holiday movies (which holiday wasn't specified!) I see nobody has mentioned Independence Day yet.

When the movie came out, during you-know-who's administration, people in some theaters stood up and CHEERED when the White House was hit by the alien ray . . .  grin

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2006, 06:26:49 AM »
I am embarrassed to admit - I LOVED that scene. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Nightfall

• friend
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2006, 06:37:37 AM »
I always see "A Christmas Story" this time of year. Comforting and familiar. Smiley
It is difficult if not impossible to reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - 230RN

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2006, 08:31:40 AM »
For holiday movies (which holiday wasn't specified!)

Well, holidays this time of year.  smiley
I'm a Chrstmas kinda guy myself, but that movie "Home for the Holidays" about T-Day was pretty funny, so didn't want to limit the choices!

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2006, 09:07:28 AM »
The Ice Harvest is a great one.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2006, 10:47:20 AM »
Wife and I watched the Ice Harvest last night, all I can say is that its interesting and I need a second viewing.

-C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2006, 11:04:05 AM »
Something tells me the Irwin household is a Christmas with a Yule Log, Wassle, Eggnog, Chesnuts and the rest of the cheeseball Christmas crap you hear about in songs.

Stay away from Vegas.

You'd lose your shirt.