Author Topic: Okay. Another "Even more stupid..."  (Read 6393 times)

Manedwolf

• friend
Okay. Another "Even more stupid..."
« on: May 28, 2008, 11:10:09 AM »
Sunbathing. On train tracks.

Teen girls badly injured when hit by train

By CLYNTON NAMUO
New Hampshire Union Leader Correspondent
1 hour, 47 minutes ago

Lebanon, Maine  A train struck two teenage girls today shortly before 11 a.m., amputating limbs from each. The grisly accident took place on tracks just a few feet over the state line separating this town from Milton, N.H.

Both girls, aged 15 and 14, were airlifted to Maine Medical Center in Portland. They are both in serious condition, with one having life-threatening injuries, Lebanon Assistant Rescue Chief Jason Cole said.

The train amputated one girls leg at the knee and the other girls foot, Cole said. A search continues for the lost limbs.

One of the girls also had a "pretty serious" head injury, Cole said.

The girls were sunbathing on the train tracks behind Ray's Marina on Route 125 and may have fallen asleep, said Lt. Gary Fecteau of the York County (Maine) Sheriffs Department.

Both girls are from Lebanon. Their names were not immediately available.

mtnbkr

• friend
Re: Okay. Another "Even more stupid..."
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 11:13:16 AM »
I'm calling BS on the sunbathing angle.  Please don't let people be that stupid...

Chris

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 11:21:59 AM »
I'm calling BS on the sunbathing angle.  Please don't let people be that stupid...

Chris

Your naive belief in human nature preventing that level of stupidity is about to go bye-bye.  grin
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 11:26:09 AM »

Chris

Apparently, they were. They were out on the trestle.

LEBANON, Maine -- Two teenager girls lying on a train trestle were seriously injured Wednesday when they were hit by a freight train.

Emergency workers said the girls, ages 13 and 14, may have been sleeping in the sun when they were hit by the train. They were flown to Maine Medical Center, where one was listed in critical condition, and the other was in serious condition.

Lebanon, Maine, Fire Chief Skip Wood said one girl suffered an amputation at her ankle and the other suffered an amputation at her knee. One of the girls also suffered a head injury.

Witnesses said they heard the girls scream and saw them attempt to move before they were hit. Milton, N.H., Police Chief Mark McGowan said the train's conductor also saw the girls and blew his horn but was not able to stop in time.

The train normally travels 30 to 35 mph but had slowed to go through the Lebanon intersection and was believed to be going at about 15 mph, according to emergency workers. The train is owned by New Hampshire North Coast Corp.

The trestle crosses a river on the Maine-New Hampshire border. Neighbors said the area is off-limits, but it is still a popular spot where people hang out and swim.

The York County Sheriff's Department was investigating.

http://www.wmur.com/news/16413056/detail.html#

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 11:28:41 AM »
I don't doubt they were there, but I question *how* they got there.  That two teens could be that stupid is astounding.  I used to play on and around train tracks when I was a pre-teen in Tn and even then I knew to be well away from things when trains came through.  I wonder if they were unconscious for other reasons and placed on the tracks...

Chris

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 11:31:06 AM »
Witnesses said they heard the girls scream and saw them attempt to move before they were hit.

If this was an attempt to whack them as mtnbkr is suggesting, I doubt they would've heard the conductor's whistle and tried to get outta the way.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 11:31:40 AM »
"That two teens could be that stupid is astounding."

Hum...

I don't find it to be astounding in the least.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 11:33:08 AM »
Witnesses said they heard the girls scream and saw them attempt to move before they were hit.

If this was an attempt to whack them as mtnbkr is suggesting, I doubt they would've heard the conductor's whistle and tried to get outta the way.

Ok, I missed that statement.  I thought they were sound asleep when the train rolled by.  I retract my earlier statements.  They're dumber than a box of rocks.

Chris

HankB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 11:58:16 AM »
I grew up a half a block away from the GTW rails in Chicago . . . despite many, many shortcuts across the rails courtesy of large holes in the fence, starting when I was considerably younger than these girls, it never occured to me that the tracks were a good place to sunbathe.  rolleyes
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 12:04:11 PM »
I only use to run around on tracks that had tall grass growing through the rails. Because even when little, I knew that tall grass = no train, squashed grass = train.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2008, 01:02:41 PM »
How are two steel rails on some shitty excuse for lumber constitute a good place to lay?
The gravel along side the tracks would be better.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2008, 01:19:39 PM »
"That two teens could be that stupid is astounding."

Hum...

I don't find it to be astounding in the least.

I am never astounded by the human capacity for infinite good, infinite evil, or infinite stupidity.....I just haven't seen nearly as much of the good or evil.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

PTK

• friends
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2008, 01:53:26 PM »
Sleeping... on.... train tracks? WHAT?! shocked
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2008, 07:28:53 PM »
Where is the side to side smiley.

And.............I am speechless.

There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

mfree

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2008, 06:26:02 AM »
A freight train at 15mph should be FELT and HEARD by someone even wearing headphones with the volume cranked.

And seriously, 15mph, with the train horn.... these girls were probably in some manner of suicide pact. I hope they recover, but I hope the parents don't buy the stupid story they gave and get them some real help.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2008, 06:28:58 AM »
A freight train at 15mph should be FELT and HEARD by someone even wearing headphones with the volume cranked.

And seriously, 15mph, with the train horn.... these girls were probably in some manner of suicide pact. I hope they recover, but I hope the parents don't buy the stupid story they gave and get them some real help.

They may have been all boozed up or hopped up on some drug.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2008, 06:31:09 AM »
The parents failed to train their children properly.

That's why they got on the wrong track.

Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2008, 07:05:21 AM »
the suicide theroy may be valid. i sleep like the dead and i think a train coming down the tracks would wake me up. not that i'd ever sleep on train tracks.

my only objection is that if they were going to kill themselves they could have picked a much better way to do it. especially considering they both survived.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2008, 08:37:46 AM »
This is part of a process known as "genetic culling" - medical science is trying to upset the natural order of things by refusing to allow these individuals to bleed to death.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2008, 09:38:11 AM »

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2008, 11:49:33 AM »

Chris

They're that stupid.

US Army - 1973 - Northern Germany. My unit - C/4/64A 3ID - was participating in a multinational exercise. The Dutch army (lower case on purpose) was one of the participating armies. Wet and rainy one night. Two Dutch soldiers decided that sleeping in the mud wasn't their bag so they laid out their gear on the highway. Next morning all that was left of them was a wet smear on the road. They got run over by a column of tanks that went thru the area. Besides being wet and rainy it was also moonless which made the dark - really DARK! The column never even slowed down.

Death by stupidity - not all that uncommon.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2008, 12:14:20 PM »

Chris

They're that stupid.

US Army - 1973 - Northern Germany. My unit - C/4/64A 3ID - was participating in a multinational exercise. The Dutch army (lower case on purpose) was one of the participating armies. Wet and rainy one night. Two Dutch soldiers decided that sleeping in the mud wasn't their bag so they laid out their gear on the highway. Next morning all that was left of them was a wet smear on the road. They got run over by a column of tanks that went thru the area. Besides being wet and rainy it was also moonless which made the dark - really DARK! The column never even slowed down.

Stupid people are everywhere. We protect them from themselves and let them breed. Hell, we encourage them to breed.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2008, 12:15:17 PM »

Chris

They're that stupid.

Stupid people are everywhere. We protect them from themselves and let them breed. Hell, we encourage them to breed.

You've seen Idiocracy, right?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2008, 12:47:52 PM »

Lowercase.  Good call.  Down at Fort Hood, we weren't in the practice of bivouacking on the hard-ball, but even if our hooches were in the middle of nowhere, we put up some chem-lights to keep from getting run over. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2008, 12:50:23 PM »

Chris

They're that stupid.

You've seen Idiocracy, right?
I have. A bit like 1984, only with retards instead of fascists/commies/whatever.