Author Topic: Opinions on single-action revolver  (Read 10320 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: Opinions on single-action revolver
« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2011, 10:48:32 AM »
So I am heading down to the WAC show in a few hours.  Anyone has an idea as to current reasonable pricing for a stainless New Blackhawk in .357, at any barrel length?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2011, 10:54:03 AM »
Do they even make the Blackhawk in stainless?  I don't recall ever seeing one  =|

FWIW, I paid $400 for a blue .357/9mm in 10-2008.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2011, 11:26:03 AM »
Probably $550ish based on what I've seen recently.

Chris

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2011, 01:34:11 PM »
Yes, sir:  http://www.ruger.com/products/newModelBlackhawkStainless/models.html

Must not be popular in MT  ;)

Anyway, just my $0.02 again - I have the blue BH .357/9 4.62 and if I had it to do over I would hold out for the New Vaquero .357 4.62 stainless.

But I found the BH used for about a hundred bucks cheaper...
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #55 on: January 15, 2011, 01:48:09 PM »
I am back from the show where there was not a single stainless New Blackhawk to be had.  The closest I found was a 6.5" blued .357 New Blackhawk, in NRA 'Good' condition for $ 475.  I passed on it.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2011, 02:08:02 PM »
Mill, I just came back from my local gunmonger and this is what they had...

A SS New Model Blackhawk in 44Special was $599, the blued one was right around $500.  They didn't have any other calibers in a Blackhawk, but IIRC, the others aren't much cheaper.  That said, around here, you can find 357mag Blackhawks for roughly $350-$400 in good shape.  If you don't mind used, it might be worth your while to hit Gunbroker.  It's not as if you could wear out a SS Blackhawk in 357mag and if you did, it wouldn't be hard to refresh it.

Chris

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #57 on: January 15, 2011, 02:11:09 PM »
Mill, I just came back from my local gunmonger and this is what they had...

A SS New Model Blackhawk in 44Special was $599, the blued one was right around $500.  They didn't have any other calibers in a Blackhawk, but IIRC, the others aren't much cheaper.  That said, around here, you can find 357mag Blackhawks for roughly $350-$400 in good shape.  If you don't mind used, it might be worth your while to hit Gunbroker.  It's not as if you could wear out a SS Blackhawk in 357mag and if you did, it wouldn't be hard to refresh it.

Chris

A very good point, and I will look on GB. The sticky wicket is that locally, the FFL transfer fees for a handgun are now running $ 50 or so.  If I could find a good used stainless NB, I will be all over it. I agree that you can't hardly wear out a Ruger revolver with a stick.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #58 on: January 15, 2011, 02:29:14 PM »
I found a couple stainless NB's on Gunbroker. One of them was at a range/gun shop in Puyallup about 65 miles south of me. $ 525 for the 4.62" .357 model, which is exactly what I am looking for.  This would avoid a FFL transfer fee but would incur state sales tax.  Hmmm.  I might have to stop by the next time I am in south Puget Sound.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #59 on: January 15, 2011, 04:15:18 PM »
I agree that you can't hardly wear out a Ruger revolver with a stick.

Except for the base pin which usuallly comes pre-worn out for some strange reason.  ;/

Budget $25 for a new base pin from Belt Mountain.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #60 on: January 15, 2011, 07:46:42 PM »
The SS barrel was sized for 22wmr (.224).  22lr will "bump up" and usually fill the bore well enough to be accurate.

The Bearcat has the .222 barrel for 22lr.  I don't know if the conversion jobs involve a barrel reaming or if it "just works".

Yep, that's the issue. .22 LR and .22 WMR aren't really (exactly) the same caliber. I had an old, German-made copy of a Colt .22 LR six-shooter that I wanted to add a conversion cylinder to, and then I discovered that the barrel wasn't sized for .22 WMR. So I bought a Ruger Single-Six convertible instead. The cute little German pistol disappeared when I was moving in 1995. It was a sad day when I went looking for it and realized that I wasn't going to find it. I had had it for a long time and it carried some pleasant memories.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design