Author Topic: CO. Movie House Attack  (Read 34016 times)

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
Re: CO. Movie House Attack
« Reply #125 on: July 23, 2012, 01:53:55 PM »
Which is  why they won't do that. Hollywood is all about infringing liberty unless it might hurt their bottom line.

Arfin: the legislature decided what an assault rifle is, whether we like it or not. Observing that this conflicts with the original definition is all well and good, but it looks like (and is) pedantry on par with insisting that bullet and cartridge are not interchangeable terms.

So educate the legislators, and make it painful for them not to learn.

"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #126 on: July 23, 2012, 01:57:20 PM »

[sarcasm]I wish there was a good way just to make it painful for legislators in general. >:D >:D   [/sarcasm]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #127 on: July 23, 2012, 01:59:49 PM »
So Hollywood is completely against the TSA at movie theaters but completely fine with the TSA at Airports/
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #128 on: July 23, 2012, 02:02:17 PM »
So Hollywood is completely against the TSA at movie theaters but completely fine with the TSA at Airports/

Pretty much, but I'm still glad they said it. Documentation to be used when they take the opposite stance with something that doesn't have a fiscal impact on them or otherwise affect their lives.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #129 on: July 23, 2012, 02:10:56 PM »
On the weight side I agree with you, but not the expense.  I've seen several people claiming that he had over $20,000 worth of gear (which I think is WILDLY exaggerated) and that is proof he was set up to do this by someone else.  Heck, he could have bought all that and more on credit if he knew he had no plans to pay it back.  Walk in to Gander Mountain with a shiny new Visa, walk out with a bunch of gear.

Oh for sure.  Actually between ammo guns and other gear he's certainly over the 10k mark.  Highly doubt he had magazines for all those rounds though. And even if he did, and had an emplaced position with them all ready to shoot, I have no idea how he'd be able to light off all that ammo without getting popped by police, or armed citizens.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #130 on: July 23, 2012, 02:11:46 PM »
As to the term "assualt rifle".

I read that it was never a technical term, but a made up term by polititions, and then used in the AWB. I would guess that the only weapons that are truely considered "assult weapons" are those that qualified as such under the ban?

My dad and I just bypass it and refer to our rifles (the ones that qualify) as "modern combat rifles", based on the design, not fireing options (as we have no select fire weapons)
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #131 on: July 23, 2012, 03:30:57 PM »
With his background in neuroscience... I'm sure I can't be alone in wondering if he, you know, ever experimented on himself somehow.

Thinking he'd become an evil super-genius or whatnot.

Or a simple "trip" to see just how far down the rabbit hole goes.
I promise not to duck.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #132 on: July 23, 2012, 04:27:24 PM »

:facepalm:

You're attempting to win an argument you've already lost by being pedantic. Give it up.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #133 on: July 23, 2012, 04:30:26 PM »
Where has 'the legislature' decided what an assault rifle is?

The term 'assault weapon' had appeared in AWB, not 'assault rifle'... and that is no longer law.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #134 on: July 23, 2012, 04:51:04 PM »
Thank you, MicroBalrog. The term "assault rifle" has a very specific meaning, and has been so defined by the military for decades. The term "assault weapon" was invented by Josh Sugarman of the Violence Policy Center in the late 1980's.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #135 on: July 23, 2012, 05:00:14 PM »
Gay had a very specific meaning that was defined for years. The meaning changed. Deal with it instead of whining about semantics.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #136 on: July 23, 2012, 05:12:20 PM »
Thank you, MicroBalrog. The term "assault rifle" has a very specific meaning, and has been so defined by the military for decades. The term "assault weapon" was invented by Josh Sugarman of the Violence Policy Center in the late 1980's.

I think "assault rifle" came from the German STG-44 "sturmgewehr," or storm/assault rifle prototyped during WWII and the direct predecessor of the AK-47.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

brimic

• friends
« Reply #137 on: July 23, 2012, 05:42:21 PM »
I think "assault rifle" came from the German STG-44 "sturmgewehr," or storm/assault rifle prototyped during WWII and the direct predecessor of the AK-47 AR-15.

While the concept of the AK-47 was the same and they look very similar, The STG-44 is very similar to the AR-15 in operation and design.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #138 on: July 23, 2012, 06:45:09 PM »
Deal with it instead of whining about semantics.

Why? When you cede the language to the enemy, you're letting them win. If someone uses the term "assault weapon", I'll correct them if possible by giving them a short history on the origin of the phrase. Sometimes it changes someone's mind on the issue if they realize they've been duped.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #139 on: July 23, 2012, 06:53:53 PM »
Oh ffs... Really? You think that's a substantiative difference that someone open to the idea of gun control would care about? Why not just point out that "gun" technically refers to smoothbores, but the shooting actually used a rifled weapon! They'll totally switch opinions then! "OMG, the media slighly misused a term, I love and care about the 2nd Amendment now! And they called them clips but the proper term is magazine?!?! I'm only getting my gun news from the NRA now!"

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #140 on: July 23, 2012, 07:07:59 PM »
I think "assault rifle" came from the German STG-44 "sturmgewehr," or storm/assault rifle prototyped during WWII and the direct predecessor of the AK-47.

WELCOME BACK!  AZR! how ya been? I was askin about you  awhile ago.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #141 on: July 23, 2012, 07:10:22 PM »
Being correct =/= being pedantic. Correcting the ignorant =/= whining.

Now quit whining about others' preference for correct nomenclature.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #142 on: July 23, 2012, 07:15:30 PM »
If there's no difference between an assault rifle and your AR15, do I take it you think you're not placed at a disadvantage by not being able to own the former?

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #143 on: July 23, 2012, 07:40:37 PM »
Everyone lay off the semantics debate, or start (yet) another thread. Please.  We're all on the same side here, and people are getting worked up over (at least in this topic) a non-issue.  We've had numerous debates about it all over the internet, and it very rarely does anyone any good.

I come here for intelligent discussion, not bickering.  I have other fora for that.  =|

Not owning a TV myself, what was discussed/revealed at the arraignment?
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #144 on: July 23, 2012, 07:59:54 PM »
Being correct =/= being pedantic. Correcting the ignorant =/= whining.

Now quit whining about others' preference for correct nomenclature.

Quote from: Pedantic
2. overly concerned with minute details or formalisms

If there's no difference between an assault rifle and your AR15, do I take it you think you're not placed at a disadvantage by not being able to own the former?

You're deliberately misunderstanding me. Although for the record I do in fact prefer semi-auto AR-15's to my issued M16-A4, should I have the choice of either.

Calling it an assault rifle or whatever your preferred term is (copy of an assault rifle? assault style rifle? What do you want the press to call them?) functionally the same. It's no different than calling a rifle a gun; technically incorrect but it makes no difference to the question at hand.

Picture this conversation to see why this is such a silly and fruitless argument.

Anti-Gunner: "OMG that crazy guy killed a bunch of people with an assault rifle! Let's ban them!!!!"
APS Pedant: "Actually, that was just a semi-automatic copy of an assault rifle, which by definition is fully automatic."
A-G: "Then let's ban those too!"
A-P: ...

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #145 on: July 23, 2012, 08:24:39 PM »
D) Bag Check:  Completely wrong vector.  A bag check would have done absolutely nothing to prevent this, and would have disarmed anyone who might have been able to respond.

WTF is wrong with people?  Guy comes in shooting through a door that's supposed to be locked to ingress, and you want to scrutinize all the movie attendees?  Do you kick the dog after a hard day at the office?

DING, DING, DING!

Give that man two gold stars
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 08:33:36 PM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #146 on: July 23, 2012, 08:29:40 PM »
Arfin: the legislature decided what an assault rifle is, whether we like it or not.

No, they didn't.

The decided what they thought an assault rifle was, and now that the law has expired even those who were in favor of it at the time realize (unfortunately) that their definition was all about appearance rather than function. Which is why today, when they talk about enacting a new AWB, they talk about "fixing" the weaknesses in the old one. If the definition can change each time they dream up a new version of the law, then it really isn't a definition ... is it?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #147 on: July 23, 2012, 08:31:10 PM »
WTF is wrong with people?  Guy comes in shooting through a door that's supposed to be locked to ingress, and you want to scrutinize all the movie attendees?  Do you kick the dog after a hard day at the office?
Peeples is dumb and very close minded as well. I hate that.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #148 on: July 23, 2012, 09:06:01 PM »
Picture this conversation to see why this is such a silly and fruitless argument.

Anti-Gunner: "OMG that crazy guy killed a bunch of people with an assault rifle! Let's ban them!!!!"
APS Pedant: "Actually, that was just a semi-automatic copy of an assault rifle, which by definition is fully automatic."
A-G: "Then let's ban those too!"
A-P: ...

No, how it's going down is like this:

[Anti-Gunner is never going to be convinced. It's as likely as trying to persuade a practicing Christian to become a Satanist.]

APS Pedant: "Anti-Gunner is being manipulative on purpose. He's using the term "assault rifle" to conflate the civilian rifles used by regular people to defend their homes and families. there is no definable difference between an AR15 and any other semi-automatic rifle. What they want to do is to deliberately make this issue sound scary so they can create a set of catch-all restrictions banning the guns they disapprove of.... and everything that looks vaguely like them."

Bystander: "Is this true, Anti-Gunner? Have you lied to me?"

Anti-Gunner: "NO WE HAVE JUST ALTERED A FEW DETAILS STOP BEING SUCH A PEDANT. WAAH WAAH."

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #149 on: July 23, 2012, 09:23:33 PM »
This is why the tide of gun grabbing will go unabated. Because the gunnies can't stop bickering amongst themselves
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog