Author Topic: There's a brilliant PR move  (Read 4595 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
There's a brilliant PR move
« on: May 04, 2010, 11:37:11 PM »
The NRA decided to host a convention in a gun free zone.  :facepalm: Before the NRA fanbois jump me, I am not saying "ZOMG lets all leave the NRA rarrgh foam." I am saying they should really pull their heads out and cease this sort of foolishness.

Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: There's a brilliant PR move
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 11:47:14 PM »
It has been NRA practice that firearms are not allowed in the convention, well at least the exhibits.

And it's not like they having it in Chicago......
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 12:26:50 AM »
Several years ago, I went to the Gun Rights Policy Conference and the NRA Annual Meeting.  One of them (don't remember which) was being held in Cincinnati, because gun rights were being denied by some law or another.  Could it be something like that?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 12:30:47 AM »
These are convention center rules, not NRA rules (my understanding).
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

taurusowner

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 12:33:06 AM »
I wouldn't go to an NRA meeting where I couldn't carry.  I don't go anywhere I don't have to without my weapon.

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 02:08:41 AM »
I look at it the same way I look at a business who doesn't allow CCW. If you don't trust me to with a weapon, I don't trust and or support you. It's that damn simple.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 04:41:48 AM »
Yet more proof that the NRA has lost its way.

All my money goes to the TSRA now, they've done more for my gun rights in Texas than the NRA has, lately.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 09:46:21 AM »
sadly anywhere your paying to be(an event they call it) in NC carrying is how you say illegal :facepalm:

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2010, 10:33:43 AM »
They should have had it in VA. 
Very little is off limits to open or concealed carry in this state.  One thing I will miss.  :'(
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2010, 10:41:44 AM »
Very little is off limits to open or concealed carry in this state.  One thing I will miss.  :'(
i'm hoping it's communicable to other states. =D

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2010, 10:43:22 AM »

There is less off-limits in TX.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2010, 11:03:27 AM »
There is less off-limits in TX.

Really? Even discounting the whole of open carry, where can you carry in TX that we cannot in VA? (Especially after July of this year with restuarant carry going into effect?)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2010, 11:17:52 AM »
These are convention center rules, not NRA rules (my understanding).

And the NRA is choosing to give large amounts of member money to an anti-freedom venue. Lovely. Nothing like supporting a place that has no regard for your rights.  ;/

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2010, 11:43:27 AM »
Really? Even discounting the whole of open carry, where can you carry in TX that we cannot in VA? (Especially after July of this year with restuarant carry going into effect?)

Restaurants & places that served chow is the first.  VA required open carry, TX allowed CC.  OC is a PITA and keeps many form doing so.  Like I'm going to OC at a business lunch with new customers and fellow employees I met for the first time that day, as I flew into Richmond.

The number of places explicitly called out as no-go in TX is pretty small, but the second biggest difference is the requirements for places that are not called out, but do not want CC on their premises.  TX requires a big honking sign with lettering of a certain size, with some exact language, in English & Spanish, at every entrance a customer would use, for an establishment to be officially "no-go."  Very, very few establishments go to the trouble.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2010, 01:53:34 PM »
they changed va law  we can carry more places now
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2010, 02:04:17 PM »
Resturant carry has been overturned.  You can now conceal in resturants and bars.
And TX prohibits OC.  Generally around town I don't OC, but its nice to be able to go hunting or whatnot and not worry about open carrying when I get out to get gas, etc.  It also means that if you get made while CC (like if your wife trys to steal your wallet when you're in a store  :laugh: ), you're not breking any laws.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2010, 04:51:40 PM »
Resturant carry has been overturned.  You can now conceal in resturants and bars.
And TX prohibits OC.  Generally around town I don't OC, but its nice to be able to go hunting or whatnot and not worry about open carrying when I get out to get gas, etc.  It also means that if you get made while CC (like if your wife trys to steal your wallet when you're in a store  :laugh: ), you're not breking any laws.

OC would sure be nice.  Have tossed some $$$ that way.

Glad one can now CC in VA restaurants.  May bring some heat to go along with sharp steel next time.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2010, 05:02:24 PM »
Every time I've seen one of these things that restrict gun carrying it's because of the building owners' insurance policies.
Chillax.
they changed va law  we can carry more places now
Can you carry in restaurants that serve alcohol now?  That was one of the main gripes I had about VA.  Just about every time I go up to visit my dad we go to some kind of restaurant that serves alcohol.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2010, 05:05:10 PM »
Yeah, the NRA convention being a "gun free zone" is no big deal. Makes perfect sense really.  ;/

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2010, 05:08:52 PM »
OC would sure be nice.  Have tossed some $$$ that way.

Glad one can now CC in VA restaurants.  May bring some heat to go along with sharp steel next time.
why split hairs? you know if you need to shoot it, it needs cut as well. >:D and you might as well light it up at the same time. ;)

sorry, but i love that thing. [popcorn]

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2010, 11:16:05 PM »
Every time I've seen one of these things that restrict gun carrying it's because of the building owners' insurance policies.
Chillax.Can you carry in restaurants that serve alcohol now?  That was one of the main gripes I had about VA.  Just about every time I go up to visit my dad we go to some kind of restaurant that serves alcohol.

No, we can't carry (concealed) in restaurants that serve alcohol now. We have to wait until July, if I remember correctly.

After July, that foolish bit of law is gone. Step by step...
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2010, 11:20:20 PM »
And the NRA is choosing to give large amounts of member money to an anti-freedom venue. Lovely. Nothing like supporting a place that has no regard for your rights.  ;/
Most such decisions have nothing to do with politics or freedom and everything to do with liability and insurance.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2010, 12:57:38 AM »
Most such decisions have nothing to do with politics or freedom and everything to do with liability and insurance.

I fail to see why this makes it a better idea. If the largest gun rights org in the nation is ok with victim disarmament zones for their own conventions, how can they campaign against them with a straight face?

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2010, 01:33:54 AM »
No, we can't carry (concealed) in restaurants that serve alcohol now. We have to wait until July, if I remember correctly.

After July, that foolish bit of law is gone. Step by step...
Aha, very cool.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.