Author Topic: It only took 30 years...may he rest in peace AND honor now...  (Read 812 times)

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
http://www.thecoastalsource.com/news/local/story/police-memorial/hn_FINUUt0yh8XL2T9ovNQ.cspx

Lenny was my Cousin.  He died on my Birthday in 1980.

SAVANNAH—On Wednesday Chatham County men and woman paid tribute to our fallen heroes.  So far this year, 61 police officers nationwide have died in the line of duty.

"When the rest of the world is running from violence, our officers are running towards it,” stated Major Mark Gerbino with Metro Police during the ceremony.

Since 1868, 51 officers have died in the line of duty in Chatham County.  As each fallen officers’ name was called, an officer placed a red rose in front a monument on Oglethorpe Avenue dedicated to the men and woman who made the ultimate sacrifice.

"They did what they loved doing,” stated Melodi Meyer.  Her mother, Doreen McCumber, served on the Chatham County Police Department.  In 1988, she died while working on Quacco Road and Highway 17.

"She car was coming too fast when she was directing traffic and hit her,” stated Meyer.

For Meyer, her mother's accident is still as fresh as the day it happened.

"I still get emotional,” stated Meyer.

After a 21 gun salute during the ceremony, a horse passed by symbolizing a warrior who rides no more.

"We're the ones that rush into danger and into chaos when others are rushing out,” stated Garden City Police Chief David Lyons.

Two new names now join the monument of fallen officers: Leonard Adelman and William Howard.  Both died in the line of duty on 1980.

"I especially want to pay tribute to those two officers because for 30 years they’ve gone unnoticed,” stated Willie Lovett, Metro Police Chief.

According to Lovett, both men pushed for the use of K9's for their department.

"They took it upon themselves to pay for the dogs and for the training which they received.  It was a result of them traveling that they were killed in a car accident,” stated Lovett.

A  survey shows that 126 police officers nationwide died on the job last year.
Copyright 2010 The Coastal Source

One day at a time.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Re: It only took 30 years...may he rest in peace AND honor now...
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 11:53:35 AM »
30 years!

about time!
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."