Author Topic: The inmates are running the asylum  (Read 558 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
The inmates are running the asylum
« on: July 31, 2017, 05:15:54 PM »
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/jul/30/man-marries-laptop-sues-for-recognition-wedding-ca/

Is it nuts enough that a man "married" his laptop, and is suing to have the state recognize the "marriage" AND to force a bakery to make him a cake?

Apparently not. A judge is actually allowing part of the suit to proceed. Now THAT's nuts!
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: The inmates are running the asylum
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 05:49:54 PM »
Marriage equality.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 06:10:32 PM »
I remember back in Boulder a guy wanted to marry his horse.  Made the Boulder Daily Camera newspaper.  Don't remember the outcome as reported, but I'm willing to bet on what it was.  Circa late 1960s.

At the time, I remember thinking what the grounds for a future divorce might have been:  "Irreconcilable differences."  On the other hand, if he had wanted to marry a sheep...
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 07:54:35 PM »
So which part(s) of his lawsuit were allowed to proceed?  It said "some parts" were allowed to go forward.  Also, did he actually attempt to buy a cake from that one baker or is he just suing having never actually been denied at all?  Were they even an actual defendant of the lawsuit or is he just asking the judge to rule that they make the cake?

Sounds like lawsuits are this guy's hobby.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 08:38:33 PM »
Cases that were often dismissed outright in the past are now being allowed to proceed far more often.  Appellate courts are now notoriously ruling that people have a right to have their cases proceed past the stage of dismissal and summary judgment. So judges are now less inclined to throw out crap like the OP case, fearing reversal and having to deal with the whole thing twice.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark