Author Topic: cracked windshield question  (Read 1488 times)

dm1333

• friend
cracked windshield question
« on: December 15, 2015, 10:10:01 AM »
I picked up a chip the other day and this morning the chip turned into a 3 foot long crack.  Replace it?  Or see if it will last through a crappy Michigan winter?  I'm leaning towards replacing it right away, I drive a lot to either ski or mountainbike.  The vehicle is a 2010 F150.

brimic

• friends
Re: cracked windshield question
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2015, 10:16:11 AM »
Its not going to fix itself. Cold can make it crack more but it won't 'blow out.'
I've been through 4 windshield replacements and at least twice as many chip/crack repairs.
Effing slob dump truck drivers hauling gravel. Caused most of my damages=(
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 10:17:32 AM »
Once a chip turns into a crack, I replace it. Besides the safety aspect, a cracked windshield is also a good excuse for a cop in a crappy mood to pull you over and give you a fix-it ticket (ask me how I know).
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2015, 10:21:55 AM »
If it extends across your vision plane, replace immediately. That's a hazard, and it will likely draw a quick ticket from the first cop who sees you.

If it's low down or high up on the windscreen, you have some flexibility, usually. Most cops won't write a ticket for a crack that's out of the vision plane.

Then again, you could get screwed over like this guy did...

http://countercurrentnews.com/2015/09/cop-gives-man-ticket/#
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 11:50:16 AM »
My car has had a crack across the windshield for probably 3-4 years.  One of these days I'll get around to replacing it.
Formerly sumpnz

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2015, 12:05:30 PM »
If it extends across your vision plane, replace immediately. That's a hazard, and it will likely draw a quick ticket from the first cop who sees you.

Not necessarily; I got pulled over Saturday night and he didn't even mention the crack.

He did, however, toss my ass in jail for an old traffic warrant I'd forgotten about.  (Expired insurance, had moved and didn't get the renewal notice in time, then they sent the ticket reminders to the address that was on the old insurance card.)

Avoid the Parker County jail if at all possible.  Even the "connoisseurs of incarceration" I was in the holding cell with said it was the crappiest they'd been in other than some dirt poor border counties.  Also, memorize the phone numbers of at least three people you know will take a collect call from you any time day or night, and give them a list of all the other people you might want to call if something happens.  Took me six hours to get anyone to answer either of the two numbers I could remember off the top of my head, (other than my ex wife's number - I'd have sat it out to the last penny and risked losing my job rather than give her the chance to gloat) and then had to call her back after she'd dug up my lawyer's number and mom's cell phone number.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2015, 12:10:52 PM »
So, you changed positions from tight end to wide receiver?

:rofl:

"Not necessarily; I got pulled over Saturday night and he didn't even mention the crack."

That's because he was FAR more interested in throwing you in the Pound You In The ass Local Penitentiary...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2015, 12:40:45 PM »
I totally forgot I could get ticketed so I guess I'll start looking for new glass.  I don't want to be walking funny like KD5NRH!   :laugh:

brimic

• friends
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2015, 12:53:02 PM »
Not necessarily; I got pulled over Saturday night and he didn't even mention the crack.

He did, however, toss my ass in jail for an old traffic warrant I'd forgotten about.  (Expired insurance, had moved and didn't get the renewal notice in time, then they sent the ticket reminders to the address that was on the old insurance card.)

Avoid the Parker County jail if at all possible.  Even the "connoisseurs of incarceration" I was in the holding cell with said it was the crappiest they'd been in other than some dirt poor border counties.  Also, memorize the phone numbers of at least three people you know will take a collect call from you any time day or night, and give them a list of all the other people you might want to call if something happens.  Took me six hours to get anyone to answer either of the two numbers I could remember off the top of my head, (other than my ex wife's number - I'd have sat it out to the last penny and risked losing my job rather than give her the chance to gloat) and then had to call her back after she'd dug up my lawyer's number and mom's cell phone number.

Did you make any new friends?  :-*

Barack Obama

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2015, 12:57:22 PM »
Meh, Mines been cracked for at least 7 years. A windshield is a terrible investment especially going into winter.
I'd say leave it till at least the spring. If I would have replaced that one as soon as it cracked it would have had another rock bullseye a week later. Then I would have probably tweaked and ran the dump truck off the road that lost the rock from the non covered truck.
Here in NJ you can be ticketed for it, but I've been pulled over a handful of times and no one said boo.
Either that or be on the lookout for the next dump truck with an uncover load or missing mud flaps. Get the plate number and call the cops. Let them pay for it and get a ticket.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2015, 01:04:09 PM »
Its not going to fix itself. Cold can make it crack more but it won't 'blow out.'
I've been through 4 windshield replacements and at least twice as many chip/crack repairs.
Effing slob dump truck drivers hauling gravel. Caused most of my damages=(

Those and MF-in landscapers and contractors with crap in their trailer.  Roadside beatings are too good for them.

Most cracks, even those directly in front of the driver, can be fixed well enough to no longer notice or care about it.  I have had great luck with windshield repair guys in the yellow pages who roll up in an old beater pickup and square me away in a half hour for a reasonable sum of money.

...be on the lookout for the next dump truck with an uncover load or missing mud flaps. Get the plate number and call the cops. Let them pay for it and get a ticket.

You'd think the gravel truck drivers owned the ledge and cops in my state.  Got nailed once and had everything tied up in a bow, to include pictures of the offending truck with time stamps.  Not worth pursuing in civil court, as LEOs will do nothing.  Even if they did something, many times the driver is "differently documented" and proof against collection.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

brimic

• friends
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2015, 01:26:32 PM »

You'd think the gravel truck drivers owned the ledge and cops in my state.  Got nailed once and had everything tied up in a bow, to include pictures of the offending truck with time stamps.  Not worth pursuing in civil court, as LEOs will do nothing.  Even if they did something, many times the driver is "differently documented" and proof against collection.

The insurance company (and the police) basically told me that if the dump truck driver didn't stop and exchange insurance information (which will never happen), there is nothing that can be done about it. I've had rocks hit the windshield from oncoming trucks, and rocks that fell off a truck 1/4-1/2 mile ahead of me- they keep bouncing and hitting other cars- the slower the rock is moving  when it hits, the more damage it does (physics). A lot of dump trucks in my area have big signs on the back that say 'stay back 500 feet, not responsible for damages.'  Bullshit- if I had a 2x4 fall out of my vehicle and it went through a windshield of a dump truck behind me, you can rest assured that there would be civil suits, if not criminal charges.

Barack Obama

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2015, 01:29:12 PM »
Did you make any new friends?

Holding cells the whole 36 hours I was in there.  GenPop was full, so they weren't even supposed to be bringing in class C warrants.  I was the second oldest and third biggest guy in the cell for most of the time I was there, and since they were only sending folks from holding to the showers at 48 hour intervals, we were mostly just trying to stay as far away from each other as the cell would allow.  A shower and a mattress worthy of the title were quite refreshing last night.

It was sort of amusing that the cop forgot I told him I had a handcuff key in my pocket until booking.  The jailer looked at him like an idiot when he did the "oh yeah, I should secure that other thing you mentioned" and pulled it out.  He'd left the cuffs loose enough that I could easily have turned my hands around and used it, even with the keyholes up.  Funny what you can get away with when you don't try to fight the two armed guys on the side of the road.  I honestly think if I'd handed his cuffs back through the partition on the ride to the jail, he would have just laughed and made me put them back on for the walk in.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2015, 01:35:11 PM »
A lot of dump trucks in my area have big signs on the back that say 'stay back 500 feet, not responsible for damages.'  Bullshit- if I had a 2x4 fall out of my vehicle and it went through a windshield of a dump truck behind me, you can rest assured that there would be civil suits, if not criminal charges.

IMO, any sign that tries to disclaim a liability like that should be considered clear evidence of intent to be negligent about it, and should open the case up to punitive damages.  Since U/UMC also covers hit and run in Texas, the insurance companies that don't handle big rigs would have a field day with it.

We did have a deputy get her windshield popped a few years ago by a rock off a trailer she was just about to stop for unsecured load, all caught clearly on the dash cam, and the sheriff made sure the replacement windshield and some paint work got billed to the trucker.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2015, 01:40:55 PM »

Most cracks, even those directly in front of the driver, can be fixed well enough to no longer notice or care about it.  I have had great luck with windshield repair guys in the yellow pages who roll up in an old beater pickup and square me away in a half hour for a reasonable sum of money.

I've never tried that with a full on crack, but I had one of those guys fix a 00buck sized chip in my truck eight years ago (like a month after I bought the damn thing, so yeah - gravel truck drivers, grrr). You can barely see the repair and it's still holding strong.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2015, 01:48:22 PM »
Hell just use some duct tape on it and go about your day.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

brimic

• friends
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2015, 02:15:44 PM »
IMO, any sign that tries to disclaim a liability like that should be considered clear evidence of intent to be negligent about it, and should open the case up to punitive damages.  Since U/UMC also covers hit and run in Texas, the insurance companies that don't handle big rigs would have a field day with it.

We did have a deputy get her windshield popped a few years ago by a rock off a trailer she was just about to stop for unsecured load, all caught clearly on the dash cam, and the sheriff made sure the replacement windshield and some paint work got billed to the trucker.

Dash cams- they aren't just for drivers in Russia any more.

Barack Obama

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2015, 08:10:41 PM »
The last guy that repaired the truck windshield said the crack had to be smaller that a dollar bill, bigger than that and he couldn't repair it.

The 1" crack he repaired ~7 years ago is still the same size.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2015, 08:13:20 PM »
The last guy that repaired the truck windshield said the crack had to be smaller that a dollar bill, bigger than that and he couldn't repair it.

Well, if you cut the bill into 1/8" wide strips...

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Re: cracked windshield question
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2015, 10:34:12 PM »

The 1" crack he repaired ~7 years ago is still the same size.
I had a 3ft crack repaired once.  Was not invisible but the repair was good enough.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2015, 05:54:21 PM »
The duct tape suggestion was tempting but Safelite replaced the windshield this afternoon.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2015, 06:18:15 PM »
Depending on your insurance company, they will pay for repairs/replacement of the windshield.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2015, 06:50:23 PM »
Depending on your insurance company, they will pay for repairs/replacement of the windshield.

Yep - mine is no deductible on repairs and $50 on replacements.