Author Topic: How's your day so far?  (Read 1799 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
How's your day so far?
« on: June 28, 2016, 01:16:41 PM »
 Decided I needed a recharge early this morning.

Left the slip by 0510 sails up 15 minutes later.

Of course to pay me back for such a nice morning Karma let the vultures at the marina chew up the windshield wipers and some of the door weather striping  on my truck.
:facepalm:
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: How's your day so far?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 03:11:12 PM »
  BEAUTIFUL! =)
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 03:22:37 PM »
Great fortygraft.  Reminds of one taken by the family who sailed above the arctic circle at midday.  Same kind of rigging, same sky coloration, same composition.  If I can find it I'll link it.

ETA: I think it was in this book, but that's all the research I'm going to do.  Damn the Win7 internal search function, which stinks.  I know I have that pic captured, but I can't find it on my machine.
https://www.amazon.com/Into-Light-Familys-Epic-Journey/dp/1930086040

Of course to pay me back for such a nice morning Karma let the vultures at the marina chew up the windshield wipers and some of the door weather stripping  on my truck.

Seriously?  "Vultures?"  What do you mean ?  I'm not good at allegories.

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 04:26:59 PM »
Vultures, buzzards.. flying carrion eaters. When I came back in to my slip there must have been 2 dozen of them parked on my pickup. Picked at the weather stripping out from around the doors and ate part of the windshield wipers. Wipers were overdue to be replaced and I haven't decided yet if I'll bother with the weather stripping. They also picked at my kayak and damaged some of the rod holder tie downs, nothing major there but an annoyance none the less.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 04:32:00 PM »
Is it legal to hunt vultures in your area?
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 04:36:38 PM »
Hm.  OK, I wondered if you meant vultures literally

Sounds like there aren't enough varmint hunters in your neck o' the woods to provide provender for them.  Or enough road kill.

When I used to go prairie dog hunting, I used to say "I'm going out to feed the raptors."

Almost always if I went out two days running, I would not be able to find the ones I shot the day before.  Or at least there was not much left of most of them.  (I usually scouted around after the day's shooting sessions.)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 09:17:54 AM by 230RN »

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2016, 04:39:41 PM »
Turkey vultures and Black Vultures, they're protected here. otherwise they'd already have been [ar15], mine is only the latest of many vehicles that have been worked over.

Samuel Adams

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2016, 09:59:22 AM »
Yesterday generally sucked. I had to commute into Washington.

Today, I'm working out of our Springfield office. That makes the day a whole lot better.

And, my boss told me they're starting the process to getting me moved to Springfield permanently.

Woo hoo!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2016, 11:14:44 AM »
Today sucked. Meeting 20 minutes before the end of the shift. No longer running three shifts starting in July. 3rd shift will be folded into 1st and 2nd based on seniority. Layoffs expected shortly after that. Spent the morning looking through job service. Still need to update resume.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2016, 11:42:00 AM »
Great image!

I've never heard of vultures doing that. We have tons of turkey vultures here, but I've never seen them go after anything but carrion. I don't think I've ever seen a vulture on a non-abandoned vehicle. Seagulls on the other hand...  :mad:

Wonder if it's an inherited instinct based on region?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2016, 12:34:25 PM »
The marina has a fair sized group of hard core fishermen. Not all of them are particular about where they leave their fish cleaning residue. That tends to draw the birds in and they take it from there.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2016, 03:25:07 PM »
The marina has a fair sized group of hard core fishermen. Not all of them are particular about where they leave their fish cleaning residue. That tends to draw the birds in and they take it from there.

That will do it.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2016, 05:31:18 PM »
how's your day

Just got out of the E.R. for some non specific stress related symptoms that had me thinking "stroke".
7-11 was a part time job.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2016, 10:36:54 AM »
Pretty good so far.  Did some letter and fiction writing, which always feels good.

Yesterday I gently advised the family visitors of the people in the apartment downstairs not to flick lit cigarette butts into the forest litter.

Worked out well after I mentioned that the fire danger in Colorado is never zero.  Apparently, they're city folks to whom the whole world is either non-flammable asphalt or non-flammable concrete and butt-flicking doesn't matter fire-wise.  Just for grins before I talked to them I got some closeup photos from my balcony showing butts that had burned down to the filter and lying right on bunches of nice, dry pine needles, which were slightly scorched around the burning tips.

Expected a bunch of "Yeah, but" resistance from them, you know, automatic self-justifications, but it went well.  Didn't have to show the pix.  They just weren't thinking about things like that.

Terry